My Best Friend's Wedding

rate rate rate

• Total voters

ameraal

la loi de murphy
this was 22 years ago apparently and my mind is blown by that fact. entertainment weekly has done a cast reunion which made me all nostalgic and ready for a rewatch. it's been a while and i proper loved it when i came out - one of the first kick-ass gay characters on the big screen i'd seen.

a tiny bit

one of the writers recalls how they almost went with a different ending.

I watched it again relatively recently with friends. While the film is still enjoyable, it is also just bonkers.

By today's standards, the fact that you're supposed to root for Julia Roberts (who by all accounts is acting like a reprehensible human being) and against Cameron Diaz (whose character has done pretty much nothing wrong) feels mental.

One of my favourite films ever and the fact that Julia is an absolute bitch in it and you root for her is PRECISELY THE POINT OF THE FILM and what sets it apart from all the hundreds of other cliched romantic comedies.

I can quote this endlessly:

"He adored ME for NINE goddamn years, ME! He has known her for WHAT, five seconds?!"
"She's got you in a pedestal and me in his arms" :(
"It's AMAZING the clarity that comes with PSYCHOTIC JEALOUSY" :disco:
"That's the maid of honour. She's from New York"
"Death by mini-bar, how glamorous"
"Getting what you deserve isn't fair!!"
"Michael is chasing Kimmy. You're chasing Michael. Who's chasing you? NOBODY. There's your answer!"

and obviously

"Life goes on. Maybe there won't be marriage, maybe there won't be sex :side-eye: but BY GOD there'll be DANCING!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom