Neo Soul

Funky

User
We need a general thread for all the amazing underground artists out there keeping R&B alive

Neo Soul has made a nice comeback in the last couple of years. Post some stuff here PLEASE

I've just heard this collab today and loving it

Me too back from the mid 90s into the late 00s. It went quiet for a while when it became more Alt R&B, but it's definitely back recently - albums from Ari Lennox, Jorja Smith, Gallant, Shay Lia and upcoming artists like Amber Mark fill me with hope.

I've posted this is another thread but this is what I'm talking about. One of the best songs of 2020.

Unfortunately I can't see neo soul ever returning to the charts the way Alicia, Mariah, Jill and Aaliyah did. But maybe it's just evolving and I don't know it.

Not sure if Adele is part of this genre technically.

Not really. I always separate Adele as more of a classic pastiche soul sound, similar to Celeste and Lianne La Havas. It's great in its own way but doesn't have that deep groove that Neo Soul has.

My Top Ten neo-soul artists:

1. Erykah Badu
2. Jill Scott
3. Maxwell
4. Alicia Keys
5. Raphael Saadiq / Lucy Pearl
6. Leela James
7. Anthony Hamilton
8. Marsha Ambrosius
9. Angie Stone
10. Ledisi

throwing a couple of current faves in here... VanJess are great, this reminds me of that mid 90s sound when R&B grooves were morphing into neo-soul.

And this is a real understated track so requires a few listens, but gets under your skin like a Badu track. One of my faves right now

I keep forgetting to upload music to this thread

I'm obsessed with this EP. @Ellie check this out

Been on a deeper dive with Sunni Colón recently, this is a highlight from last year

I haven't really followed this scene recently but it was my absolute genre of choice in late 90s/early 2000s. Will take a listen to some of this stuff. The first track is ACE - I love Andreya Triana's voice.

My Top Ten neo-soul artists:

1. Erykah Badu
2. Jill Scott
3. Maxwell
4. Alicia Keys
5. Raphael Saadiq / Lucy Pearl
6. Leela James
7. Anthony Hamilton
8. Marsha Ambrosius
9. Angie Stone
10. Ledisi

Very similar list for me.

I think I prefer Marsha as part of Floetry though.

I kind feel like Alicia Keys only just fits in this category - she's a lot more commercial than most of the others here.

Agreed. Her first two albums are definitely neo soul but then she went further mainstream with each album. Each album does have pockets of it though - her duet with Maxwell from the Girl On Fire album springs to mind. Great track.

@cwej you'd love Ari Lennox. And Shay Lia. Jorja Smith and HER seem to get all the glory, and they're great, but I prefer the other two. Mahalia is also part of that crowd but I haven't warmed to her as much.

I like Mahalia but she again is a bit more on the poppy side for me.

This is bloody amazing. Only just saw the video but I've had it in my playlist for a few weeks now. Radio 6 are supporting it

Benny Atlas is currently my new favourite artist. This new one is that 80s funk influenced neo soul style.

Joel Culpepper dropped a new one this week. Very excited for this album.

Not sure if anyone knows Ledisi released a new album last year, there's a couple of good soul tracks on there, but I've just come back to this bop. Very NOW.

Here for Benny.

I loved Paradise from last year.

And will give the Ledisi album a listen too.

New concept EP from Jerome Thomas - Maxwell and D'Angelo influences for sure. The best track is Secret

Well Anthony Hamilton has been quiet for years and the odd random single he's released has done nothing for me, but I'm absolutely loving this. Sounds like his classic stuff

Here for Benny.

I loved Paradise from last year.

And will give the Ledisi album a listen too.

Benny released an EP a couple of weeks back, some of the songs already existed I think, but all 4 tracks are winners. No filler.

Also the Leela James dropped a couple of weeks back and it's really nice - she has kept her distinct 60s/70s sound and not compromised with trends, which wouldn't suit her voice.

Although ironically one of the songs that actually embrace a bit of a 80s/90s sound - "You're The One" - is actually my fave from the album

@KindaCool

Ooh what a thread! Deffo going to check out the Leela James album.

Just to throw my two cents worth into the RING, I've been really enjoying the Joyce Wrice album, it sounds like it's straight out of 1999 in the best possible way :disco:

I've also been SO GRATEFUL for Spotify as it's meant I've finally been able to listen to Amel Larrieux's Infinite Possibilities album, which I could never afford on CD back in 1998 or whenever it was released as a YOUNG GAY.
What an album :disco: 'Get Up' and 'Sweet Misery' are just classics of the genre.

Never heard of Joyce but I shall add that to my list :disco:

Amel Larrieux! There's a blast from the past.

Well Anthony Hamilton has been quiet for years and the odd random single he's released has done nothing for me, but I'm absolutely loving this. Sounds like his classic stuff

Issa baby making song. Love him so much. The album sound so promising.

You Made a Fool of Me isn't bad either, but a bit literal 90s in some parts

I’ve not seen her mentioned on here but I’ve been loving Cleo Sol over the last year or so. Her debut album ‘Rose in the Dark’ was one of my go to lockdown records.

The new album is gorgeous.

What an amazing album. I particularly love the 70s lounge vibe on some of the tracks. More people should investigate this. Her voice is stunning.

My favourite tracks at the moment are Don't Let Me Fall, Promises and Music.

I’ve not seen her mentioned on here but I’ve been loving Cleo Sol over the last year or so. Her debut album ‘Rose in the Dark’ was one of my go to lockdown records.

The new album is gorgeous.

This album is - so - good. What a stunning voice. I never got into her first album, but I love putting this one on and letting it just ENVELOPE the room.
I really love that thematically most tracks are quite consistent, so it's more like an elongated suite of songs and affirmations based on similar subject matter. It really strengthens it as a listening experience as a whole.

I love how minimal most of the album is too! I might be wrong, but I think the only track that features a proper beat is the very last one :D

Nao also has a new album out today. I LOVE AND ADORE her second album Saturn, and she has one of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard...but on first listen I'm not really loving the new album.

I need to come back to it and have another go. I found a lot of the lyrics rather clunky, and as a whole I just didn't find it very MELODIC!

All this said, the reviews for it have all been strong so it's probably just ME!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom