Ninth console generation (Xbox Series X and Playstation 5)

COB

The ⭐ 👹
So last night Microsoft officially revealed their next console, previously known as Project Scarlett but now confirmed as the Xbox Series X:

Quite a confusing name! They already have the Xbox One X, so I wonder if there's a risk people will think the new system is just some sort of add-on, as apparently happened to Nintendo with the Wii U.

We also have the PS5 coming out at around the same time (next winter), but there hasn't been a proper reveal yet. The big selling point for both systems seems to be solid state memory that will eliminate loading times, as well as backwards compatibility (PS5 will play PS4 games, and Xbox will apparently continue their existing BC programme).

As for Nintendo, who knows? I reckon we're still a few years from hearing anything about a successor to the Switch, so they seem happy enough to do their own thing.

I won't be able to say anything on the graphics we saw on Hell Blade II until I watch a video from Digitalfundry (or as I hilariously call them Digitial Suck the Fun Dry), but I found it interesting that they showed a 3rd party game as presumably that will indeed be on PS5 and through that they may have confirmation that they will sit alongside Sony better than they did last gen.

This isn't the more powerful model that they'll be releasing though (I think they will release 2 models out the gate?) I'm definitely more interested in what Microsoft have got up their sleeve this time, but in no way will I be buying all 3 platforms again. I should probably sell my PS4 before it goes down in value too much.

Bravely Default II looked very pretty in places, particularly the winter village. No More Heroes 3 looked daft and all the better for it. I should play the originals on Wii first though. I don't think a Switch 2 will arrive until 2022 at the earliest, and they did say they wanted a longer life cycle for this one (and not just in comparison to the Wii U, which I still love by the way).

I like the PS5 pics that leaked, it will be a nightmare to keep clean but looks cool.

the Xbox will just never be able to captivate me. I'm a Sony fangirl through and through. the speck of information released about the controller sounds great, and the load time showcase was very impressive

but I'm afraid they'll release a PS5 version of Cyberpunk 2077 but it's out in April already so I'll have to buy it then but I don't want to buy it two times but I also want to play it ASAP!!

wow that's the ugliest thing I've ever seen

but at least you'll have a holder for your new cheese grater :)

Have they deliberately changed the shape to make sure that anyone with an existing Xbox will have to find somewhere different to put it?!

my guess it you can tilt it any way you want it

I'm more concerned about the apparent look of the PS. it looks like a robot vacuum cleaner!

Yeah, it HAS to be able to sit sideways surely - it's basically a very boxy PC tower, nobody's going to want it sitting on the floor next to their TV.
I won't be able to say anything on the graphics we saw on Hell Blade II until I watch a video from Digitalfundry (or as I hilariously call them Digitial Suck the Fun Dry), but I found it interesting that they showed a 3rd party game as presumably that will indeed be on PS5 and through that they may have confirmation that they will sit alongside Sony better than they did last gen.
It will be exclusive as Microsoft have purchased Ninja Theory, much to the annoyance of a friend of mine who's obsessed with the first game but is also firmly a Playstation guy :(

I also thought this was interesting, if a bit hard to see as it's filmed off a screen - Sony using Spider-Man PS4 to show the difference in performance between their current and next generation systems:

I read something about this a while ago (I'll try to find it) where the developers talked about how stuff like Spidey's maximum speed while swinging ended up being dictated by how quickly the PS4 could render objects in the distance without there being obvious 'pop-in' (as seen in the video), and also how a lot of games this gen had bits where your character would have to squeeze through small areas to disguise that the next area was loading up in the background.

any news on PS5 besides the reveal of the OBVIOUS logo? I need some digital slayage

it looks chunky, I always thought the xbox controller was too big

and I hope it comes in all black :evil:

it looks chunky, I always thought the xbox controller was too big

and I hope it comes in all black :evil:
Yeah, I'm not a massive fan of the white. It does look quite satisfying to hold, though.

I just don't know if I'm READY for the next gen, yet. There's still so much I'm ploughing through on PS4, it doesn't feel like I've had it for that long.

you could still play PS4 games on it though! I am more than ready. well maybe except for the price tag...

I am actually impressed with how well my PS4 is holding up. lot of posts on reddit about how theirs end up getting digital corona and giving up. mine still whizzes like the day that I got it (with a bit of hoover sound effect sometimes)

I hope the release of the console will be coordinated with the postponement of games like Cyberpunk and Last of Us 2. I don't wanna get one of the games and then the new console a couple months later

I am actually impressed with how well my PS4 is holding up. lot of posts on reddit about how theirs end up getting digital corona and giving up. mine still whizzes like the day that I got it (with a bit of hoover sound effect sometimes)
Mine sounds a bit like it's preparing for take off sometimes as well, but I've never had a problem with her. I'd heard the PS5 was backwards compatible with all previous generations, which is INSANE, but I don't know if I want to fork out the full asking price for a nostalgia trip. Depends what the launch titles are, I suppose.

Funnily enough I’ve just been reading about the hardware for the PS5, sounds impressive. Live ray tracing and the sound capability in particular. Just hope we have a new GTA to come with the launch.

Funnily enough I’ve just been reading about the hardware for the PS5, sounds impressive. Live ray tracing and the sound capability in particular. Just hope we have a new GTA to come with the launch.
I've still not got round to playing the last one yet, I've only had it three years.

I got miles out of it, I always do. I like the mix between side games, pure dicking around and decent storylines.

Probably let Ron Jr play the next one too, but wont teach him to murder prostitutes, because parenting.

I'd heard the PS5 was backwards compatible with all previous generations, which is INSANE, but I don't know if I want to fork out the full asking price for a nostalgia trip.

didn't they backtrack? I believe it's only PS4 games now (which of course includes Playstation and PS2 games ported for the PS4)

Probably let Ron Jr play the next one too, but wont teach him to murder prostitutes, because parenting.

ah the good old pick someone up, drive towards the sea and jump out the car right before it flies off the pier...

ah the good old pick someone up, drive towards the sea and jump out the car right before it flies off the pier...

Is that fun for an 8 year old or would I be teaching him to be a psycho? Its hard this, wish hed just start smoking or something

I must've been 10 when the first game came out and I'm doing fine HEHEHEHEH

didn't they backtrack? I believe it's only PS4 games now (which of course includes Playstation and PS2 games ported for the PS4)
I thought it was ambitious. I’ve a drawer full of PS1 and PS2 games I fucking LOVE that have never been ported (Capcom vs SNK 2, sexy and underrated) so it would have been nice to have one console to play them on rather than the dusty old relics that only work when they feel like it.

They only ever mentioned PS4 backwards compatibility, and more recently they've clarified that they will have to be optimised/approved on a game by game basis (similar to how 360 games work on Xbox One). They're expecting around a hundred of the most popular PS4 games to work at launch, with more being added regularly.

Yeah I’m not sure I’m ready for the new generation yet. I’m still more than happy with my PS4, have a stack of unplayed games, and don’t have a massive desire to shell out a small fortune for a new console. I’m sure I’ll change my mind by the end of the year though!

I love some of the furore over the new controller. It hardly looks any different.
Also yes please to black. White is a no no for me.

Last edited:
Launching a new 500+ console during a recession is going to be a tough sale especially when the previous generation seems to be still going strong.

I hope "The Last of Us 2" isn't cancelled for the PS4 then. I can't wait for that shit and I have no intention of buying a PS5 until about a year after release (except when The Last of Us 2 is inevitably saved for that alone, then take my plastic obviously :()

Just a brief little reminder, we're getting to see 3rd party games on the Series - hold it - X in 2 days time.

Has Sony revealed the PS5 design? Cuz that new Xbox looks a rubbish bin.

We should do a consoles rate :disco:

It can't be a mistake that it looks a bit like a PC tower.

Yeah but I think that's the problem. It's NOT a PC and nor should it aspire to be.

Microsoft is gonna have to go all out this generation cuz they trailed some distance behind Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom