Oliver Anthony - Rich Men North of Richmond

VoR

Take it or leave it
Right-wing protest songs mercifully tend not to gain much traction, but this one seems to have struck a chord. :zombie: Currently #60 on Spotify UK, and #1 in the USA.

I wish politicians would look out for miners
And not just minors on an island somewhere
Lord, we got folks in the street, ain't got nothin' to eat
And the obese milkin' welfare

Well, God, if you're 5-foot-3 and you're 300 pounds
Taxes ought not to pay for your bags of fudge rounds
Young men are puttin' themselves six feet in the ground
'Cause all this damn country does is keep on kickin' them down

Even beyond the horrible lyrics, it's just incredibly unpleasant to listen to? I suppose the vocal delivery isn't a million miles away from what Lewis Capaldi does though.

I saw a thing about this on Twitter the other day and apparently the whole thing is fabricated by some right wing group? Like it was purposely made to look 'authentic' so it would go viral, but it was artificially boosted by bots etc.

Kind of obsessed with how CLUNKY the lyrics are, and how EARNESTLY he sings them!

It really has something for everyone hate the rich? HIM TOO! Hate the poor? HIM TOO!

Also the miners/minors lyrics doesn’t even make sense unless you see it written down!

Hate poor people going hungry? HIM TOO!
Hate providing assistance so the poor can eat? HIM TOO!

It really has something for everyone hate the rich? HIM TOO! Hate the poor? HIM TOO!

Hate poor people going hungry? HIM TOO!
Hate providing assistance so the poor can eat? HIM TOO!
Absolutely this. As with most people on Facebook these days. This isn't about finding social justice anywhere. It's simply about MOANING and making some easy money off of people who think you're "talking sense" and that the lyrics are "really clever".

I saw a thing about this on Twitter the other day and apparently the whole thing is fabricated by some right wing group? Like it was purposely made to look 'authentic' so it would go viral, but it was artificially boosted by bots etc.
But whyyyyy? Is it just a divide and conquer tactic? Or just a cheap money grab? I'm so confused.

All I know is I was happier before I knew this claptrap existed. It depresses me sometimes how easily led people are. Thanks @VoR

• Sad
Reactions: VoR
Apologies. Unfortunately whatever the reason for it initially taking off, it's now getting loads of press coverage so it's probably going to be a hit.

Love the implication that by going after someone 5”3 he’s probably fat shaming a WOMAN as well. Lovely guy.

To be fair it probably is a cause for concern if somebody only slightly taller than Kylie Minogue reaches the approximate weight of a refrigerator.

The right wing groups do really go a long way to try and prove to everyone that there’s a lot of them and they need to be heard!

Unfortunately what with this and that “Try it in a small town” trash, I have a feeling we’re in for a new phase of similar songs being released, either to push this agenda or cash in on it.

It’s up to 32 on Spotify UK. Will likely go top twenty tomorrow.

I have a horrible feeling that’s only the tipping point, too…

Omg I was out for dinner with my parents in my home town and this came on in the restaurant.

:ToneNervous:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom