Olivia Newton-John DEAD

I still have the original issue in my vinyl collection. That's the one that holds all those associated memories. I can't replace that one.

Also...I don't own a record player/turntable anymore.

I hope they stick it on the Deluxe Edition of 'Totally Hot'. I also wouldn't mind a studio version of the title/opening track either.

When people refer to 2022 as the year the Queen died, it will be Olivia Newton-John who I think of first

Reactions: GNL
(Unless Kylie or Dolly peg it in the next 4 months, god forbid)

Was it SOUL KISS that killed her career off at the time?
It was four years between the studio album releases of 'Physical' and 'Soul Kiss', but obviously there'd been a 'Greatest Hits' set and a few tracks on the 'Two of a Kind' soundtrack in between. Madonna was ramping up the sex appeal and raunch factor in 1984 and 1985 and Olivia was deemed "old" in comparison (it was a thing way back then as well). Olivia was also pregnant and promo was limited as a result.

Last edited:
The sound of the 80's was changing and was being driven by a new generation of pop stars who weren't short of exposure on MTV. 'Soul Kiss' was moderately successful in the US, fumbled around in the lower reaches of the UK album chart and was regarded as an average album at the time.

I saw an interview with her where she said she was focused on her pregnancy rather than the album and she didn’t really care at the time how it did. She was pretty sanguine about it.

I'm not sure I've heard her version of Amoreuse before. That's a really underrated song. Wonderful vocal control.

Oh bugger! I completely forgot all about the tribute night on BBC2. Well, that's my Sunday afternoon viewing sorted then.

Just finished watching 'Olivia Newton-John at the BBC'. Of course, it goes without saying that I enjoyed it, but THAT performance of 'Love Is Alive' was the absolute highlight for me and a sad reminder of how criminally underrated she was as a performer in the 70's prior to 'Grease'. It starts at the 24:12 mark for those who are interested but don't want to sit through the whole programme.

That will be middle of the night here though, won't it? Shame.
Surely they'll keep it available to watch for a bit. I know a couple of mad people who stay up to watch the Oscars and the Grammy Awards live, but even I can't muster up that kind of enthusiasm for Dame Livvy. Well, not unless I take the Monday off work.

The duets album.she had been working on will be released in May. The first single is a duet with Dolly Parton on Jolene released yesterday.

I saw that and thought it was from Dolly project. Pleased to hear we've got new material coming from Olivia.

Just The Two Of Us: The Duets Collection (Vol. 1) out 5th May

Tracklisting

1 Suddenly (featuring Cliff Richard)
2 Jolene (featuring Dolly Parton)
3 Act of Faith (featuring Michael McDonald)
4 Window In The Wall (featuring Chloe Lattanzi)
5 Take A Chance (featuring John Travolta)
6 Put Your Head On My Shoulder (featuring Paul Anka)
7 Face To Face (featuring Barry Gibb)
8 I Honestly Love You (featuring Jim Brickman)
9 The Best Of Me (featuring David Foster)
10 True To Yourself (featuring Vanessa Amorosi)
11 Lost Inside Your Heart (featuring Jon Secada)
12 I’ll Come Runnin’ (featuring Tina Arena)
13 Never Far Away (featuring Richard Marx)
14 How Can You Mend A Broken Heart (featuring Kelly Lang)
15 Stone In My Pocket (featuring Amy Sky & Beth Nielsen Chapman)
16 Love Is A Gift (featuring Delta Goodrem)
17 Hopelessly Devoted To You (Live) (featuring Mariah Carey)

Olivia AND Dolly - it's a gay fantasy dream come true. I was never really a fan of Olivia's 1976 cover version, but I can get behind this one - just because it's her voice and it's Dolly's voice and Dolly's vocal ad-libs are amazing. I really like this.

Wouldn't the memorial service be screened around 2:30am UK time - so in four and a bit hours?!? I'm absolutely rubbish with time zones. I think I'm going to have to stay up and possibly pop out to the shop, but not in that order.

AC196E76-9BEB-4539-91CD-F90C5E22CD95.jpeg

Well that was really beautiful

As with the Judith Durham one (I hope going to Australian pop star state memorials isn’t too much of a new trend for me - hold on Marcia Hines) I just felt very lucky to be there, especially as we only got tickets at the last minute after initially missing out

I stayed up to watch it, having got all my timings wrong. I've only just got up but I'm glad I saw it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom