Paul Weller Chat Annexe (sponsored by Sigue Sigue Sputnik and Tears For Fears)

There's an early ballady Jam track I forget the name of which is quite lovely.

And I do like Speak Like A Child as well.

Is it "That's Entertainment"? Because that is very good - feels like a downbeat acoustic ballad but is actually about urban decay.

The best thing The Style Council ever did was get dragged by Tears For Fears in Sowing The Seeds Of Love :disco:

Is it "That's Entertainment"? Because that is very good - feels like a downbeat acoustic ballad but is actually about urban decay.
No, this is a proper ballad rather than downbeat

I think I'm thinking of English Rose from All Mod Cons.

Obviously that's pre Lady Di, so the rose in question is presumably Diana Dors.

The best thing The Style Council ever did was get dragged by Tears For Fears in Sowing The Seeds Of Love :disco:

Sowing The Seeds Of Love is a great record but I never actually realised that "kick out the style" referred to The Style Council!

Ah, of course. The song that was omitted from the tracklisting of the album it was on because the label weren't sure how it was going to go down!

I've just remembered that the festival I'm going to this weekend includes FROM THE JAM. I don't even know who the vocalist is these days

Even when the lyric is 'kick out the style, bring back the jam'? :D

Yeah - right in plain sight and I still didn't twig that "the style" meant The Style Council! I know that The Jam was The Jam because they said so....what an idiot...:octy:

I've just remembered that the festival I'm going to this weekend includes FROM THE JAM. I don't even know who the vocalist is these days

At one point Bruce Foxton wasn't playing with From The Jam either but I think he is now.

Well OBVIOUSLY! Here's DI TO SAY HI :disco:

76123_v9_ba.jpg

This thread is almost enough to make me try and squeeze into a pair of two tone burgundy drainpipes.

Sowing The Seeds Of Love is a great record but I never actually realised that "kick out the style" referred to The Style Council!

I love that they were considered such an easy target that even Tears For Fears saw fit to have a go at them for being too lightweight/commercial :D

I hope Paul was honoured to be referenced in such a fabulous song

Nice of them to schedule in a pre-planned PISS BREAK :disco:
INDEED. The Undertones are on afterwards, although I see Feargal is too busy tweeting about river pollution to bother singing with them these days :(

INDEED. The Undertones are on afterwards, although I see Feargal is too busy tweeting about river pollution to bother singing with them these days :(
At least it's the original line up of The Goombay Dance Band, or you really would just be throwing your money away.

He hates the Undertones - he refused to take part in the documentary and everything. The one time he nearly reunited with them was for John Peel's 50th Birthday gig but the O'Neill's lost their mum the day before the gig and pulled out (which is fair enough). The House Of Love filled in (The Fall and The Wedding Present were the other bands - the whole thing was organised without Peel's knowledge btw, hence the white-boys-with-guitars line up).

Imagine Feargal's lush locks on the same bill as Weller's lank barnet

My only knowledge of Paul Weller comes from this QUITE GOOD perf from Jools Holland. The Patron Saint of Camden town is SPECTACULAR :disco: but Paul is also present.

I work in the assumption that Weller is somehow embarrassed at how ace the Jam actually were and has been attempting to erase the memory every since. Pretending to be a French art student in the Style Council was bad enough but the Grumpy The Folk Singer routine turned him into the main tentpole of the "Real Music" brigade for which he shall not be forgiven.

I always felt like he was on an endless quest to prove his music diversity - he seems to really move about a lot with his sounds. Even his solo stuff has covered so many genres.

I recently discovered that the last Style Council was a deep house record :D the label hated it and it was what ended the group pretty much...

I recently discovered that the last Style Council was a deep house record :D the label hated it and it was what ended the group pretty much...

Yeah, the sales had dropped off slowly over the years and when "Promised Land" got to Number Oops, the album got canned.

oh and I LOVE Tears For Fears :disco:

TFF Top10:

1. Woman In Chains (with Queen Oleta Adams)
2. Johnny Panic (rare batshit Sowing The Seeds remix which samples the famous drum loop that was popular in 1989 and is fabulous)
3. Sowing The Seeds Of Love
4. Shout
5. Mad World
6. Break It Down Again
7. Everybody Wants To Rule The World
8. Advice For The Young At Heart
9. Head Over Heels
10. Pale Shelter

I feel like we need to have a thread celebrating straight people and their music. It's very important to support the minorities.

SIGUE SIGUE SPUTNIK RATE (always a favourite with WELLER I bet)

1. Love Missile F1-11 (obviously)
2. Albinoni vs. Star Wars
3. Success
4. Rock-It Miss USA (Sci-Fi Sex Stars version)
5. Hey Jayne Mansfield Superstar!

OOH AAH PINK GUITAR :disco:

Last edited by a moderator:
oh and I did QUITE LIKE that covers album he did of soul, funk and disco

It's probably SACRILEGE on here but i'll say it anyway - I thought he did really nice versions of the Sledge's Thinking Of You and the Royce's Wishing On A Star. Not as good as either original, but to not ruin them completely was a feat in itself.

I must say that I wasn't expecting to listen to 'Hey Jayne Mansfield Superstar!' on repeat today but that's the WONDER OF WELLER for you :disco:

oh and I LOVE Tears For Fears :disco:

TFF Top10:

1. Woman In Chains (with Queen Oleta Adams)
2. Johnny Panic (rare batshit Sowing The Seeds remix which samples the famous drum loop that was popular in 1989 and is fabulous)
3. Sowing The Seeds Of Love
4. Shout
5. Mad World
6. Break It Down Again
7. Everybody Wants To Rule The World
8. Advice For The Young At Heart
9. Head Over Heels
10. Pale Shelter
NO CHANGE? GET OUT

At least no-one's mentioned M*rrissey's cover of That's Entertainment yet :):):)

oh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom