Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher

Any love for potentially 2020's album of the year..? RAVE REVIEWS all round.

phoebe-bridgers-punisher-1591307750.jpg

Whilst I liked her debut Stranger In The Alps (especially Smoke Signals and Scott Street) I vastly preferred the Julien Baker album that was out at the same sort of time (Turn Out All The Lights), however this is SUCH a step up! Really beautiful songwriting and melodies all through the album. 'Moon Song' and 'I Know The End' are my initial highlights, but the whole album is just a beautiful thing to absorb from start to finish.

Kyoto is also one of the - if not THE - songs of 2020. I'm finding it ludicrously addictive and can't stop playing it despite having already lived with it for a couple of months:

I had a listen to this yesterday, having been intrigued by the excellent reviews.

Very lovely, if not rather one-paced.

"We all hate Tears In Heaven / but it's sad his baby died" is quite the lyric :D

Stick with it if you can, it's SUCH a grower and really reveals it's charms over several listens.

Also, the sound of the entire world imploding during the last minute of I Know The End is just :disco:

Reactions: RJN
I've played the album once and enjoyed it in a background way but Chinese Satellite is GREAT. I will persevere.

I had a listen to this yesterday, having been intrigued by the excellent reviews.

Very lovely, if not rather one-paced.

"We all hate Tears In Heaven / but it's sad his baby died" is quite the lyric :D

I totally skipped back to check that really was what she said on my first listen. What a line :D

She is a great lyricist. Kyoto is also one of my favourites this year, and I echo the love for I Know The End as well. The album definitely benefits from a more focused listen rather than being something on in the background. I played it last night and again first thing this morning.

Reactions: RJN
Hmm. Maybe I wasn’t giving this my full attention but it really just seemed to plod along

This passed me by when I listened when it first came out, but last night it really clicked for me. She has the most gorgeous melodies and lyrics that are very specific but still relatable.

Phoebe Top 5
1. I Know The End (the middle 8/bridge/second part/whatever is absolutely STUNNING)
2. Funeral (:()
3. Chinese Satellite (which is about being an atheist but wanting to believe)
4. Me & My Dog (from the Boygenius EP)
5. Kyoto

The whole thing is just amazing and up there with Mitski for recent female singer/songwriter stuff

Phoebe had passed me by, but I heard Motion Sickness recently and it really gave me the feels. Very 90s indie chick kind of vibes. What a gorgeous melody and vocal. Now having said that, nothing else I've heard since has really grabbed my attention in that way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom