Placebo - 'Beautiful James' & new album 'Never Let Me Go'

Honestly it's brilliant - probably one of my favourite Placebo songs. I'm a bit of a fan although I'm only familiar with the first four albums and a bit of Battle Of the Sun really.

Would love to see them live. Might get tickets for their 2022 tour on the continent.

So I think it's time for a Placebo top 10 songs and album ranketté type thing. Come on Mopsters.

An off the cuff singles special:

Song To Say Goodbye
This Picture
Every You Every Me
The Bitter End
Slave To The Wage
You Don’t Care About Us
Infra-Red
Special Needs
For What It’s Worth
Pure Morning

take me back to the days of teenage angst and purple hair and first kisses why don't you! I love it!

have they been gone or just hibernating?

take me back to the days of teenage angst and purple hair and first kisses why don't you! I love it!

have they been gone or just hibernating?
Both, I think.

Looks like their last studio album was in 2013 and was met with generally negative reviews.

I know they did some anniversary tours etc. though since then. Would love to see them live.

I heard this the other day on 6 and immediately enjoyed it. What a splendid return to form.

I used to hate them, but saw them at Latitude and got over myself.

New album & tour announced. I think I'd quite like to see them live.

1636030124500.png

They haven't announced the venues yet, tsk. Last time I saw them it was Wembley Arena (:gross:) but Robert Smith turned up (😍) to do Without You I'm Nothing and Boys Don't Cry so it was worth it.

I think Brian looks very Stuarts period drama.

This new song isn't as instant as Beautiful James but I like the dark electronic direction:

Placebo Top 10:

1. Without You I'm Nothing
2. Slave To The Wage
3. Bruise Pristine
4. The Bitter End
5. Taste In Men
6. Nancy Boy
7. Special K
8. 36 Degrees
9. Beautiful James
10. Every You, Every Me

On some days like today, for example, I think that Black Market Music is my favourite album of theirs.

Whilst Allergic is a constant for me, I have just became re-acquainted with Brick Shithouse, Ask for Answers, Burger Queen, My Sweet Prince and Summer's Gone. So the album basically. The first 3 singles remain as impressive as they were day 1. I bought Taste In Men and Slave (both CD1&2s - Johnny & Mary remains a find indeed) so it is rather odd that I never got the album.

I see they covered Where is My Mind? That's so weird as I've been thinking how Molko-like (or the influence it had on him) parts of the supreme surf tsunami Velouria is.

Yeah, I was on their wikipedia. I'm not surprised Germany caught on. Quite intrigued to give I Feel You a spin as I remember Molko featuring a lot as a talking head in a few Depeche Mode documentaries or features.

(I hated their Running Up That Hill though)

It's probably not cool to admit it but I love their version of 'Running Up That Hill'.
You’re very reticent with U2 and this to admit your enjoyment. Speak your truth lovely! I like it a lot too and know several others who do too. I also love their take on Sinead’s ‘Jackie’ though no one could surpass the despair and denial of her original.

The last song they released didn't make much of an impression but really liking the new one:

I read a review with compared Placebo to Garbage and there definitely are parallels with No Gods as a return to form/familiar territory.

Of the new songs I'm especially enjoying The Principal (lovely STRINGS), Sad White Reggae, Twin Demons (could have been lifted from one of the early albums) and Chemtrails (closest to Beautiful James with the synths).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom