Pop Music Activism

GinAg (39)

User
Pronouns
He/Him
These queens are my HEROES - https://twitter.com/Pop_Activism

Trying to get CLASSIC POP back on Spotify. So far they've succeeded with Victoria Beckham, Gina G, Grace, Deuce, Alexia, Baby D, Louise, Soda Club, Livin' Joy, Poli Genova, D:Ream...

They're working on:

QUEENS!

Not sure if @monsta has some connection to them, seeing a PushTheButton connection...

Last edited:
Having such a binge to all this restored GLORY!

They have a playlist of some of the stuff they got back online...

You know they're a member here... Right?

HOLY FUCK they got the Motiv8 Mix of Crush by Jellyhead only feat. HRH Donna Air online!

They got Rosie Ribbons’ opus “Misbehavin’” on for a glorious 24 hours until the feds got to them. But what an amazing day that was. Taking the fight is truly the life of the hero.

Why was it taken down? Inappropriate content?
They had converted the DATs to digitise but two of the tracks had rips in them. So the album got taken down. We sent WAV files from the CD to the label and they are puttin it back on.

Crush and Gina G wasn’t us. We just mentioned they were back on (anything where it says Pop Alert rather than Pop Activism Alert is Just is reporting on reissues labels have done themselves).

Thanks for the nice words!

Ropey Ribbons’ defining Pop Idol moment was basically one entire RIP. A few glitches could only be an improvement on THAT opus.

anything where it says Pop Alert rather than Pop Activism Alert is Just is reporting on reissues labels have done themselves.

Thanks for the nice words!

*salutes*

Not my thing musically but a noble cause. Well played.

omg HOW can overseas folks help?? Retweeting, sharing?
A retweet now and then wouldn’t go amiss, particularly for this one. First one Sony have done for me. They’ve said they are cautious on committing time to doing my reissue requests as they think there is a limited market for this. I’d like to prove them wrong which should make further reissues from them more likely!

Very good work!

Were these involved in the Thunderbugs album randomly appearing on Spotify as well? The more of this the better.

It's really odd that things like Shanks & Bigfoot aren't on Spotify when it would clearly rack up significant streams.

How EXCELLENT. He/she/they are after B.O.N.'s "Boys" now which is a classic and no mistake. If they get both the albums on too, I'll be in HEAVEN.

Also, is this the place to make requests? If so, can we have "Falling" by Boom! please? I have it in my collection but it deserves a wider audience.

R-161299-1512892911-2710.jpeg.jpg

I think there's a weird thing where the official Eurovision CDs are only on Spotify for a few months after the contest that year. Then the ones that don't have international record deals tend to disappear. Hence Poli Genova disappearing too. I imagine all the Swedish songs are still up.

You have to wonder though why it wasn’t on there in the first place given it was a huge success?
Some of the Eurovision entrants without a proper record deal do a distribution agreement with Universal. However previous agreements only lasted a year (think they may be longer now), hence Poli and Polina disappearing. Polina has self released. Bulgaria National TV signed a new deal with Universal Norway (Who coordinate) after I asked.

Yes Thunderbugs was me. Bizarrely the Friends forever single with the B side has been put online by Sony Denmark! I’m trying to get them to release wider.

Pop! I have requested. Trying to track down the rightsholders to B.O.N. They were released on sony via a licence from X-Cell. X-Cell have said all their backcat is with Universal Who have yet to confirm.

How EXCELLENT. He/she/they are after B.O.N.'s "Boys" now which is a classic and no mistake. If they get both the albums on too, I'll be in HEAVEN.

Also, is this the place to make requests? If so, can we have "Falling" by Boom! please? I have it in my collection but it deserves a wider audience.

R-161299-1512892911-2710.jpeg.jpg

I loved this song!! Please get this online!

If we are making requests there were also a couple of singles by Ladies First - Messin’ and I Can’t Wait

And 3rd Edge - In & Out

What about Lisa Roxanne? She had a song called Love Story that flopped terribly but I remember loving it at the time.

Loving the requests but I have to admit I’m slightly struggling at the moment with my current list of 100 titles that I regularly chase on.

The biggest problem is that 90% of stuff is owned by the majors (Sony/ Warner/ Universal). It can take them ages to digitise something (took five weeks for Deuce album but eleven months for Alisha’s Attic album). I’ve already sent as many requests to them as I can without pissing them off so until they clear the backlog (seems the majors are woefully under resourced when it comes to digitising archive releases) realistically I can’t send further requests on.

Unfortunately the labels also have to balance resource time in putting these online with likely returns so it can be hard to persuade them to digitise a flop single. And believe it or not (due to all the label mergers over the years) their archives can be woefully poor. I’ve been known to send WAV files from CD singles to major labels who don’t have masters to hand and have to scan in cover art for independents who have no access to original artwork files.

Sorry to sound negative when everyone is so enthusiastic but i guess I need to set expectations (as the majors have with me). If there’s more buy in from the majors in the near future then hopefully the floodgates can be opened! I really hope this is possible for all of us!!

There’s more in the pipeline due soon and I’m hoping a couple of albums will get online this month.

I am APPALLED to find out Nicole Scherzinger's MAGNUM OPUS "Killer Love" is nowhere to be found in Spotify LAtin America.

whose legs do I have to hump in order to stream this towering mastepiece?

So this came out last week but I missed it. They are hoping to put the first album online toobut I guess this was quicker to do. Think there are rights issues with Ace still.

Triple whammy today

(Sony also fixed the Delta album last week which whilst still available in the UK, had come off digital platforms in the rest of the UK)

Bizarrely this single was uploaded by Sony Music Denmark in 2009 and was only available in Denmark till today.

The label had been reissuing the Oakenfold stuff from this era but am sure the emails to them got it on a bit quicker - and with 15 mixes!!

Southern Sun is one of my all time favourite songs, so this news pleases me greatly.
Loved the Tiesto mix. There was actually an edit of it on a Perfecto CDr promo. Though it was an awful edit of it! I made one myself a few years back which worked much better!

Good work with Mistaken Identity - the hidden track Nobody Listened is on there as well and that was never previously released in the UK.

Good work with Mistaken Identity - the hidden track Nobody Listened is on there as well and that was never previously released in the UK.
Mistaken Identity was an odd one. The day (or maybe two days) after I fired an email to Sony Australia, it came back onto Spotify UK (With Nobody Listened) but not any other UK platform. And it was offline (even on Spotify) across the rest of Europe.

Got there in the end!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom