Post a female historical figure you admire/find interesting or fabulous.

Rowan Tree 🌳

maybe this time i'll win :)
sophie_scholl_1050x700.jpg
Screenshot_20210430-193238_Goodreads.jpg

Sophie Scholl, from the anti-Nazi resistance group The White Rose. She was executed in 1943 when she was 21.

(It can also be someone awful who you find interesting!)

sophie_scholl_1050x700.jpg
View attachment 1930

Sophie Scholl, from the anti-Nazi resistance group The White Rose. She was executed in 1943 when she was 21.

(It can also be someone awful who you find interesting!)
Harking back to my family, a not so distant female cousin apparently blew up a Nazi cafe and was executed. I don't know her name alas.

Most of my Polish family were in the resistance.

Gloria Steinem. I know she’s still alive but I think she counts

There's such a lack of fabulous women in mainstream history, it's no wonder certain female monarchs get all the attention.

Speaking of which Catherine the Great was QUITE the leader.

For what it's worth, I don't think the history forum will (or should) be any more out of bounds for nonsense than elsewhere on Moopy. So I'd make peace with that quickly
That's fine, but we have a Eurovision forum and it's rather exhausting so many references in here.

Just to get a female artist in: Artemisia Gentileschi

ng6671_432px.jpg

Forced to marry the man that raped her, she spent her life making very ANGRY paintings, including several versions of Judith beheading Holofernes with a supreme coldness in her face :disco:

450px-Artemisia_Gentileschi_-_Judith_Beheading_Holofernes_-_WGA8563.jpg

Oh I remembered that slightly wrong - he refused to marry her so her dad took him to court and he got exiled and she married someone else. But STILL. CUNT!

Last edited:
Just watched a delightful YouTube on who would be monarch today if Henry VIII's will was upheld, which led me to want to discover more about this lady: Arbella Stewart - Grand niece of Henry VIII.

Arbella-Stuart.jpg

Described as "not very beautiful, but highly accomplished in several languages, with refined manners, and always studying", she was a contender to become Elizabeth I's heir although she herself "did not aspire to it"

Elizabeth dies, James I (her first cousin) becomes King. There's then a plot to overthrow him and put her on the throne instead, which agrees to take part only to DOUBLE CROSS them at the last minute.

She then gets in trouble when she goes behind everyone's back and secretly marries William Seymour - a strong contender to the throne - which James I naturally sees as a threat and imprisons them both. When he finds out they've been able to write love letters to each other, he orders that she is moved but she FEIGNS ILLNESS to delay this.

During the delay she escapes, dressed as A MAN including trousers over her petticoat and a wig. William Seymour escapes too, but she is captured just before reaching France and is imprisoned in the Tower of London where she later dies after going on and sticking to a hunger strike.

The what-could-have-been surrounding if she potentially had been made queen after Elizabeth is pretty fascinating! The video concluded that it should have been Edward Seymour who was King after Elizabeth I (father of Arbella's husband) and if that were so, today's queen would be a woman called Teresa who lives in Norfolk and works for a the National Milk Records (??!)

There's no picture, but her mother who died in 2012 and who would have been queen before her looks all kind of :disco:

kinloss_2383399b.jpg

Not sure if historical enough but I always admired Maiju Gebhard. She invented the dish drying cabinet which is one of the most popular innovations to arrive from my country.

Maiju_Gebhard.jpg

Kösem Sultan who started as a slave and ended up ruling through 4 sultans during the Ottoman Empire.

Even her murder was fabulous

Kösem was then dragged by her feet to the gateway leading from the Imperial Harem into the Third Court, where Süleyman Agha ordered his men to kill her. They strangled her in a group of four, all of whom were young and inexperienced assassins. They worked tirelessly to strangle her with a piece of cord ripped from the curtains. While the others drew the cord, one assassin climbed on her back and pitched her neck with his hands, but he came to a halt when Kösem bit his left thumb so severely. In retaliation, he struck her on her forehead, perhaps causing her to fall unconscious. Then, assuming she was dead, they screamed out, 'She is dead, she is dead!' and went to notify the sultan and his mother. When they were out of sight, she then unexpectedly lifted herself up, most likely hoping to escape through a secret passageway. When it was discovered that she had gone away, the assassins were summoned again, and she was caught. According to Rycaut, the assassins then applied the curtain cord for the second time, while the Ottoman renegade Bobovi, relying on an informant in the harem, stated that Kösem was in fact strangled with her own hair. According to sources, she is said to have struggled so much that blood spurted out of her ears and nose and soiled the murderer's clothes.

Not sure if historical enough but I always admired Maiju Gebhard. She invented the dish drying cabinet which is one of the most popular innovations to arrive from my country.

Maiju_Gebhard.jpg
Someone needed to INVENT the drying rack?

That's seems exceptionally high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom