Post your Steps top ten (2020 Edition)

VoR

Take it or leave it
Actually quite TOUGH. The last album really threw some career highs into the mix.

1. Deeper Shade of Blue
2. One For Sorrow
3. Paradise Lost
4. September Sun
5. It's The Way You Make Me Feel
6. Summer of Love
7. Say You'll Be Mine
8. Scared of the Dark
9. Love's Got a Hold on my Heart
10. Just Like The First Time

I will do this. The re-release of the Last Dance really reinvigorated several tracks for me in remix form.

The Sleazesisters Mix of Words Are Not Enough is :disco:

I had no idea other people loved Paradise Lost.

But yes as with Ag I need to give this some serious thought.

Paradise Lost is AMAZING, and I love that September Sun is basically a spiritual sequel :disco:

Reactions: D5K
Paradise Lost is AMAZING, and I love that September Sun is basically a spiritual sequel :disco:
Hang on... I've never heard September Sun. Preparing to have my mind blown...

Oh LUCKY YOU

It has it all:

* The melodramatic chorus!
* The barely competent yet highly focused Lisa middle eight!
* Claire honking like a despondent foghorn!

:disco:

Yes I'd just looked it up and had a moment, thank you for making my evening :disco:

Oh LUCKY YOU

It has it all:

* The melodramatic chorus!
* The barely competent yet highly focused Lisa middle eight!
* Claire honking like a despondent foghorn!

:disco:

I think it's unfair to say Lisa sounds 'barely competent' - she has improved massively since the early days. They definitely used Lisa well during the Tears-era.

September Sun is also one of the rare Steps songs where Lisa leads a chorus (well at least half of it). Just Like The First Time and Bittersweet are the only others I can think of.

Happy Go Lucky was my fave from Buzz :shy:

The guys who wrote that also wrote Buzzz, Wouldn't Hurt So Bad, and Mars and Venus and these songs are noticeable as they barely feature lead vocals from Claire, and mostly Faye with some Lisa, which was really unusual. The story goes that the writers preferred Faye and Lisa's voices to Claire's. :D

Anyway as for a top 10, CHRIST. Here's a STAB at them:

1. Just Like The First Time
2. September Sun
3. Summer of Love
4. Scared of the Dark
5. Bittersweet
6. Paradise Lost
7. It's The Way You Make Me Feel
8. Here and Now
9. Love's Got A Hold On My Heart
10. Never Say Never Again

Fuck it, I'll play.

1. Love's Got a Hold on My Heart
2. Summer of Love
3. It's the Way You Make Me Feel
4. One for Sorrow
5. Here and Now
6. Chain Reaction
7. After the Love Has Gone
8. One for Sorrow (Tony Moran mix)
9. Better the Devil You Know
10. Story of a Heart

1. A Deeper Shade of Blue
2. It’s The Way You Make Me Feel
3. One for Sorrow
4. Scared of the Dark
5. After the Love Has Gone
6. Summer of Love
7. Tragedy
8. When I Said Goodbye
9. Paradise Lost
10. Happy

I actually LOVE Deeper Shade of Blue SO much but I prefer the original Tina Cousins version over Steps' cover version, for two reasons - it has No H, and it's has more of a more melancholic flamenco vibe to it than a clubby feeling, which I think works better with the lyrics. I wonder why Tina never ended up releasing it.

Considering that it’s a demo, it sounds almost exactly the same but with thinner vocals.

I actually LOVE Deeper Shade of Blue SO much but I prefer the original Tina Cousins version over Steps' cover version, for two reasons - it has No H, and it's has more of a more melancholic flamenco vibe to it than a clubby feeling, which I think works better with the lyrics. I wonder why Tina never ended up releasing it.

You have NO IDEA how much I have missed you JUST so I could ROLL my eyes at such a RIDICULOUS statement!

Reactions: dUb
I was thinking of this yesterday and also thinking of starting the thread but I did neither. :)

1. It's The Way You Make Me Feel
2. Tragedy
3. Last Thing on My Mind
4. Claire's Got a Hold on My Tart Love's Got a Hold on My Heart
5. Heartbeat
6. Scared of the Dark
7. Better Best Forgotten
8. Neon Blue
9. One For Sorrow
10. Here and Now

Reactions: VoR
1. It’s The Way You Make Me Feel
2. One For Sorrow
3. Deeper Shade of Blue
4. Just Like The First Time
5. Scared of the Dark
6. Something In Your Eyes
7. Stomp (Party on the Dancefloor Mix ft If You Could Read My Mind :disco:)
8. Last Thing On My Mind
9. Love U More
10. Here & Now (Almighty Mix)

1. Summer of Love
2. Scared of the Dark
3. Just Like The First Time
4. It's The Way You Make Me Feel
5. Love's Got A Hold On My Heart
6. Neon Blue
7. After The Love Has Gone
8. Never Say Never Again
9. Say You'll Be Mine
10. Heartbeat

What The Future Holds may well find its way in there but it's too soon to tell.

Does Deeper Shade of Blue REALLY count as a COVER if it only existed in unreleased demo form beforehand? Surely that can be said about most of their songs.

1. It’s The Way You Make Me Feel
2. One For Sorrow
3. Deeper Shade of Blue
4. Just Like The First Time
5. Scared of the Dark
6. Something In Your Eyes
7. Stomp (Party on the Dancefloor Mix ft If You Could Read My Mind :disco:)
8. Last Thing On My Mind
9. Love U More
10. Here & Now (Almighty Mix)

I don't even care how utterly shameless this post is - it's just whetted my appetite for this release all the more! :disco:

I don't even care how utterly shameless this post is - it's just whetted my appetite for this release all the more! :disco:

Hun, with my DWINDLING REPUTATION, I still need to try and make my mark SOMEHOW :D

Oh my word, this is going to take me some time to think about.

I might make it in to a countdown

(I won’t)

Loving the appreciation for Just Like The First Time. It really is PEAK Lisa Scott-Lee in every sense. :disco:

I think a lot of the love is ENTIRELY down to the fact it's a rare Lisa-led song, plus it has that 'lost classic' status with it being an Australian Bonus Track/B-side. I do wonder WHY it wasn't on the album proper in place of much worse songs, but I suppose it is rather similar to Love's Got A Hold On My Heart.

Lisa was doing the rounds on local radio yesterday. Here response to the question of what her favourite song is was something along the lines of:

"One of my favourites has to be Deeper Shade of Blue, I love that, obviously we had Tragedy which I love as it was our first number one. A lot of people like One For Sorrow."

I was thinking yesterday about how nice it is for them that they've done such a great job of repositioning themselves as an Arena level legacy act with new material people actually care about.

Not like those poor sad washed up S Clubbers :(

1. Scared of the Dark
  2. Better Best Forgotten
  3. Deeper Shade of Blue
  4. You'll Be Sorry
  5. Last Thing On My Mind
  6. No More Tears On The Dancefloor
  7. One For Sorrow
  8. It's The Way You Make Me Feel
  9. Words Are Not Enough (Sleazesisters Remix)
  10. Here and Now (Almighty Mix)
  11. Summer of Love
  12. I Know Him So Well (Almighty Mix)
  13. Happy Go Lucky
  14. Stomp
  15. Stop Me From Loving You
  16. Happy
  17. I Will Love Again
  18. Glitter and Gold
  19. September Sun
  20. After the Love Has Gone

I’ll assume that Pete Waterman wouldn’t let her? They were taking off majorly when she recorded it and she, well, she wasn’t - so I’d guess he would have kept it for their follow up, as it was hailed at the time as the ‘big one’ of the album.

An almost impossible task, but let's have a bash at ranking 10 certified 5*, 11/10 bona fide pop behemoths

01. Say You'll Be Mine
02. Love's Got A Hold Of My Heart
03. It's The Way You Make Me Feel (fans furiously)
04. Deeper Shade Of Blue
05. Summer Of Love
06. Human Touch
07. Just Like The First Time
08. Scared Of The Dark
09. Neon Blue
10. Baby Don't Dance

Obviously a totally different 10 could make up an equally valid list. I'm off for a lie down to the strains of the four hour 2020 version of The Last Dance :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom