Proposition 8 (and later same-sex marriage developments)

No not every matter should go via the public vote, I agree - this being one of those instances, I thought you were saying that the government should have just bypassed the results of the vote regardless of the outcome.

Isn't that what the Supreme Court is doing though, the court has the right to intervene on grounds that it violates citizen's civil rights, my whole point is just that this is one of the cases that should not be left to the public, it's a complete Supreme Court decision. It does not effect anyone except those who choose to practice their right to marry who they love who happens to be the same sex.

I cannot wait to see what Joy Behar has to say about this development. :disco:

Last edited:
OT: I love the way the case is called "Perry vs. Schwarzenegger".

I hope Arnie's name doesn't disappear from it once it becomes a landmark decision.

YAY, well done america. What with this and the whole healthcare for everyone thing, the US is in danger of becoming a developed country :o

DITCH THE GUNS NEXT

I can't wait for the religious freaks to react on this. It's gonna be so much fun.

Isn't that what the Supreme Court is doing though, the court has the right to intervene on grounds that it violates citizen's civil rights, my whole point is just that this is one of the cases that should not be left to the public, it's a complete Supreme Court decision. It does not effect anyone except those who choose to practice their right to marry who they love who happens to be the same sex.

I cannot wait to see what Joy Behar has to say about this development. :disco:

i dunno, i'm not hot on the legal workings of the us

I can't wait for the religious freaks to react on this. It's gonna be so much fun.

It's already started! Here's notorious rightwing loon site Free Republic - If the comments don't make you angry you're stronger than I am! About an hour ago somebody posted this, which was promptly removed by their moderators :o

Last edited:
Predictable.
But still incredible.
And a sapphite is poised to be confirmed as a USSC justice.
The America I grew up in, that brave patriots fought and died for, no longer exists.
May as well call the boys home from Afghan and Iraq.
There is nothing remaining here to defend.

It's already started! Here's notorious rightwing loon site Free Republic - If the comments don't make you angry you're stronger than I am! About an hour ago somebody posted this, which was promptly removed by their moderators :o

HAHA

I love it. Those guys are fucking morons. If the fact that the judge is gay makes him incompetent, surely a heterosexual would be incompetent as well? Idiots.

Predictable.
But still incredible.
And a sapphite is poised to be confirmed as a USSC justice.
The America I grew up in, that brave patriots fought and died for, no longer exists.
May as well call the boys home from Afghan and Iraq.
There is nothing remaining here to defend.

It's very poetic :D

Last edited:
All the main anti-gay groups have now responded too (link). They're ranting about 'activist judges', which is depressingly predictable!

Why are they going on about this being overturned and the votes of the people meaning nothing? The majority should not be allowed to vote on the rights of minorities... there's just no way around it. It's effectively tyranny.

Last edited:
From poking about and going from link to link reading about all this tonight, I discovered that there's an official .gov website all about Maria Shriver, which I suppose makes sense but I'd never considered before. I got quite excited actually, because I think she's FABULOUS :disco:

This actually makes me boil

I always used to feel the same. But somehow you just learn to laugh at such clueless fuckers. You can't argue with people who think like that, and I'm not entirely sure you can educate a lot people who genuinely think that way. So I prefer to mock it.

I agree with lolly. I try not to get upset or angry about those kind of people anymore. Ultimately, they are the ones living miserable lives filled with hate whilst we all enjoy ourselves and let everyone else get on with their lives. I just feel sorry for them.

It's slighty different when it's your own country they're talking about, you can't just mock it. It angers me just thinking that people like this cunt indirectly play a part in decisions and actions that affect me, my family, my future, etc.

FuckThisGuy.jpg

:(

I hear the ninth circuit will hear the appeal in October. I wonder how long it will take until it reaches the Supremes...

I'm sure Diana Ross has got better things to do with her time to be honest.

Oh funky. *QI buzzer sound*

Has sexy Shirl passed comment yet?

There seems to be nothing on the godhatesfags website. There is a lovely little counter that tells you how many "reprobates have split hell wide open since you loaded this web page", though.

Last edited:
Oops, I nearly forgot to do a cliched 'gay marriages - WE'LL BE BACK' joke :shy:

Schwarzenegger's comments are quite heart-warming. He being the archetype of 80s heterosexuality, it's almost akin to your own father saying "it's ok, I accept you".

A PROGRESSIVE DAY.

The application for a stay has been denied - same-sex couples can marry in California RIGHT NOW :disco:

HOORAY

Is this 'it' now? Or is there something round the corner that could happen and make all the marriages null and void? And do the gays who got married last time it was legal have to marry again?

The marriages performed when it was legal before have always remained valid, thankfully! The next step for the case is the 9th Circuit appeals court in (I think) October, and after that it'll probably go to the US Supreme Court but it could take a few years to get around to it. I think the appeals court could reverse Walker's decision in theory, but most legal experts seem to think this is unlikely as his decision was so comprehensive. It looks like there'll be gay weddings for the foreseeable future :D

Quick correction - marriages will resume on the 19th apparently, not straight away. But STILL :D

There has been some movement on this today.

The appeal from my last post was never heard because neither of the original defendants (the governor and AG) wanted to appeal it.

It's taken until now to decide whether other parties can take their place. And they've ruled that they can.

It's bad and good news. Marriages won't go ahead just yet - but the appeal is almost certainly going to fail eventually making the original decision even stronger. It may even go all the way to Washingon. :disco:

This lovely little video is trending like crazy over here at a time when same-sex marriage is being debated.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_TBd-UCwVAY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom