Proposition 8 (and later same-sex marriage developments)

And now Wyoming and Alaska and...? I've actually lost count. Come on America get it done already.

So far 31 states plus the District of Columbia have same-sex marriage:

Alaska
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
Hawaii
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Minnesota
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin

Texas, Arkansas, Michigan, Kentucky, Florida, and Wyoming have stayed rulings on marriage.

That leaves: Alabama, Georgia, Ohio, North and South Dakota, South Carolina, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Kansas, Tennessee, Nebraska, and Montana without it legal. Also, marriage isn't legal in Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, US Virgin Islands, or Northern Mariana Islands.

This is now in the endgame. The Supremes are going to hear a proper gay marriage case, with a ruling due before the summer recess.

21925-banner-the-supremes.jpg

He's dead love :(

As for SCOTUS, I have to say it's about bloody time. As far as my (admittedly limited) understanding goes, they've has several opportunities to make a definitive ruling on this during their last few sessions and have always shied away from doing it.

Also, can we take a second to appreciate this absolute all-time QoL?

33afecb773b1019d6a_bzm6bhyjt.png

She's been officiating weddings for her gay pals whenever possible too, so we at least know what side her bread's buttered on :disco:

This is fantastic news, not least because one of my best friends is married to an American man and can now apply to be with him (having previously been DEPORTED and forbidden to return :manson:)

Update on this - he got his green card earlier this month, and has touched down in Seattle (to finally live with his husband) within the past hour :disco:

Also, can we take a second to appreciate this absolute all-time QoL?

33afecb773b1019d6a_bzm6bhyjt.png

She's been officiating weddings for her gay pals whenever possible too, so we at least know what side her bread's buttered on :disco:

Last edited:
Slovenia becomes the 11th EU country and first post-communist European state to legalise gay marriage.

It is the 11th European Union country to say yes to gay marriage.

The Slovenian Parliament has adopted by 51 to 28 votes a new law that authorises same-sex weddings.

Deputies have also voted in favour of legalising adoption by gay and lesbian couples.

There was a small protest outside the parliament as the vote took place, but recent polls showed that 60 per cent of citizens are in favour of gay marriage.

The bill now has to be signed into law by the country’s president.

Worldwide, Slovenia will become the 21st country to legalise gay marriage.

:disco:

Last edited:
It's astonishing to think how much America has changed in some ways in the course of a single presidency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom