Puberty blockers banned for under 16s.

GinAg (39)

User
Pronouns
He/Him
BBC News - Puberty blockers: Under-16s 'unlikely' to be able to give informed consent
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-55144148

I'm a bit in two minds about this. I think its a lot for a kid to decide and get wrong. But then I haven't lived with the torment of living in the wrong body as a teenager, plus it feeds into the anti trans movement.

I need more info before I develop a fully understood opinion on this.

I would agree that it's really lousy news for trans teens and the movement in general.

The TERFs celebrating this as a win is incredibly tunnel visioned as their spiteful laser focus on trans kids (which has its own devastating effects)seems to erase all other things this could affect.

What happens when a five year old has a precocious puberty and needs blockers to stop their periods? Are they really going to understand their treatment and give consent as is now required?

What happens when a five year old has a precocious puberty and needs blockers to stop their periods? Are they really going to understand their treatment and give consent as is now required?
I had no concept of this whatsoever.

This is shit for all young trans people but particularly for young trans girls, the effects of testosterone on a developing body can be SO drastic and can cause so much dysphoria both at the time and later in life :(

Feminists celebrating a win that suggests under 16s can't make informed decisions about their own healthcare without their parents' involvement seems like... an own goal.

Feminists celebrating a win that suggests under 16s can't make informed decisions about their own healthcare without their parents' involvement seems like... an own goal.
Oddly my work friend’s 15 year old daughter was turned away last week for an INGROWING TOENAIL REMOVAL operation last week as her grandmother took her to the appointment (her parents were self isolating due to another operation due for her dad). Utterly ridiculous.

I haven’t read the case yet, but it seems like a silly judgment to me.

(Can parents can give consent - or is this an actual outright ban? I appreciate many parents are dicks).

I believe that the court were only ruling on the issue of informed consent rather than on puberty blockers themselves, which would presumably mean that parents could still give consent if they were prepared to do so.

Oddly my work friend’s 15 year old daughter was turned away last week for an INGROWING TOENAIL REMOVAL operation last week as her grandmother took her to the appointment (her parents were self isolating due to another operation due for her dad). Utterly ridiculous.

With my work it's the same, anyone under 16 needs an adult with them, although that literally can be any adult at all. I'll just never forget the 14 year old I saw once who had a baby, but wasn't old enough to sign her own health care forms with us!

With my work it's the same, anyone under 16 needs an adult with them, although that literally can be any adult at all. I'll just never forget the 14 year old I saw once who had a baby, but wasn't old enough to sign her own health care forms with us!
The thing is she was with her grandmother and had written consent from her mother who physically couldn’t be there. She’d even formed a bubble a week earlier with her grandmother to be away from her parents as they were self isolating on hospital orders because her dad needed a different operation. It turns out the hospital was in the wrong and they shouldn’t have turned her away, but they did anyway. Irony being her mother’s name is Karen and now she’s reluctant to complain just because of her name!

It's an absolute horror show with very wide ranging consequences. The notion of informed consent was on trial and no-one noticed because TERFs. I was smarter at 13 than most adults I meet now. Fuck's sake.

Reactions: GNL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom