Race Across The World - New BBC Reality Gameshow

I was convinced Darron & Alex were going to win purely because of how it was edited to bang on so much about their "story" and Alex's maturing. Oh well! Just glad it wasn't the hipsters, like everyone else :D

As much as I don't doubt the girls' good intentions at all regarding giving the boys the money to pay for the observation deck, it was delicious that the boys only finished (last) at all because the girls paid for it.

As much as I don't doubt the girls' good intentions at all regarding giving the boys the money to pay for the observation deck, it was delicious that the boys only finished (last) at all because the girls paid for it.

Well if they will spend £110 to go CLIMBING(?!?!)

Finally watched this.

I really wish they hadn't done that. It would have been great if they couldn't finish.

Finally watched this.

I really wish they hadn't done that. It would have been great if they couldn't finish.

The boys were having quite the sulk. The production team blatantly pointed them in their direction and made the suggestion.

BBC Two’s hit global travel series, Race Across The World, has been recommissioned for two new bumper-length eight-part series.

The first series launched in spring this year and was the biggest new factual entertainment title on BBC Two since 2016 with the final episode consolidating at 3.2m viewers.

In these new series, pairs of travellers will race from the start line in one part of the world to the finish thousands of miles away - without the use of air travel or any of the trappings of modern day life. They must navigate their way through the varied landscapes of countries at ground level, with only the cash equivalent of the airfare to their final destination.

As in the first series, which saw teams race from London to Singapore, the competing travellers will discover that to reach the finish line quickest and win the cash prize, they need to rely on the kindness of strangers and use every ounce of their travel skills and ingenuity. They’ll have no mobile phones, internet access or credit cards to assist them.

Tim Harcourt, Creative Director at Studio Lambert, says: “Race Across The World was an epic and ambitious series and we’re thrilled it delighted viewers and captured the imaginations of both young and old. Series two will retain the jaw-dropping landscapes, charm and appeal of series one, but with a new and longer route there are sure to be fresh challenges and surprises our teams will face.”

Race Across The World was recommissioned by Patrick Holland, Controller, BBC Two and David Brindley, Head of Commissioning, Popular Factual and Factual Entertainment. The BBC Commissioning Editor is Michael Jochnowitz. Mark Saben, Stephen Day, Matt Smith and Tim Harcourt are the Executive Producers for Studio Lambert. Lucy Curtis is the Series Producer.

Series one

The final episode of Race Across the World was the highest rated episode of a new factual entertainment title on BBC Two, consolidating at 3.2m and it was also the highest performing episode for 16-34s for a new factual series on the channel since 2016 and the highest rating programme for children across all the BBC for that week.

The consolidated series average was 2.5million/10.4% share and 374,000 16-34s. The demographic with the highest share was children who took a 19.6% share across the series (166,000). The whole series has so far received 4.5m iPlayer requests.

WTF? The highest share of the demographic was CHILDREN?? Wasn't it on at like 10pm? Maybe they need to reconsider the scheduling somewhat then...!

And also NOT allow the fact the demographic is children to suddenly change the casting and put only 20-somethings on there... Goes to show that young people CAN be interested in other people on TV.

There was a repeat on either Saturday or Sunday quite early in the evening (that's when I usually caught the show) - would that be included in the consolidated figures since it was within seven days of the original broadcast?

I guess it would. I reckon they'll just show it at that time for the next season though.

The hit global travel format, Race Across the World, has been commissioned by BBC One for a celebrity special, it was announced today.
The hugely popular format made by Studio Lambert is currently filming its second series for BBC Two. The first series boasted the highest rated episode of a new factual entertainment title on BBC Two since 2016 and has since been recommissioned by the channel in a bumper multi-series order.

In this special celebrity version, four familiar faces will race with a loved one or close friend from the start line in one part of the world to the finish thousands of miles away - without the use of air travel or any trappings of modern-day life. Stripped of all mod-cons and all luxuries they will have to rely on their skills, cunning, ingenuity and talent rather than the privileges and perks of fame in order to succeed. This incredible journey will give a unique insight into the celebrities and their relationship with their travelling companions as they are pushed to the absolute limit.

Over the course of six episodes, the four competing teams will come face to face with the challenge of travelling without the use of credit cards, smartphones or access to the internet. With just the cash equivalent of a one-way airfare to their final destination they will have to earn extra money along the way as well as call upon the kindness of strangers to help them progress, and ultimately win, this race of a lifetime.

David Brindley, Head of Commissioning, Popular Factual and Factual Entertainment, says: "We've been thrilled by the success of Race Across the World on BBC Two and now are incredibly excited to bring some famous faces to what will be an adrenaline-filled and entertaining series on BBC One. Our celebrities won't be able to rely on their fame and fortune on this journey and we can't wait to see whose wit and skill gets them to the finish line first, in what is fast becoming one of the most revealing and testing challenges on TV.”

Tim Harcourt, Creative Director, Studio Lambert, says: “This format has been described as fiendishly addictive and was a smash hit for both viewers and critics alike. I can’t wait to see celebrities undergoing the transformative powers of this global race at ground level.”

Oh I'm quite excited to find out who'll be on it. Hopefully not as Z-LIST as that X Factor shite

I'm not. Why do they have to ruin every single gameshow by making it about Z-list celebrities?

Also. Why does our format have to be so dull compared to the obvious option of The Amazing Race.

BBC2 at 8pm this evening for the new series

Just started watching this about 10 minutes behind live. I wonder if they had any idea where they were going? Some basic Spanish would be a huge advantage but all I've heard so far is a UN POCO

They've definitely been thrown into it more than the last series, and they seem to have chosen couples with more challenges between them.

That was very enjoyable. I always like their reactions when they open the book and find their placing.

Mum and son are my early favourites.

Yeah this was pretty good. I called it exactly, I said to Mrs. Indie last year that I bet the next race is Mexico City to Ushuaia.

I mostly just enjoy laughing when people fuck up. Like the two guys who missed getting a ticket for the boat after spending £60 on a taxi. I dunno, maybe treat it like a race and not spend a day viewing ruins then?

Was every couple dealing with some sort of friction last series?

Not entirely, but there were definitely a few. I think they probably liked the story of Darron/Dad bonded from last year and decided it was the way to go forward.

Surely if you knew you were going to South America you'd at least pick up a Spanish phrasebook ?

Watched this. Count me in.

Mum and son to win please.

Moody precious wife to also win.

Ha. Clearly the producers told them to quit. there was no way they could make it, but they had shown no inkling of giving up until then.

Maybe, I'm not so sure about whether she was as keen. You would have thought they could have squeezed out another leg if they really wanted the experience.

Anyone watch this week? Well that all went a bit topsy turvey.

I'm thinking the production give some heavy encouragement for them to take the scenic detours to give them something to film. The lovely mum's salsa stop did not go especially well.

I don't doubt it. It would be so tempting just to bus constantly. I mean occasionally they have to stop just because of scheduling, but the side trips they do seem fairly pointless.

Either way, they're all pretty fucked on money at the moment. They'll have to do more jobs.

Last edited:
Deffos, its like that Hunted, they have to do certain things to make them more catchable, otherwise people would just hide in a tent for the 6 weeks.

Hunted is one programme that I am very pleased to have dropped. Every series ended up exactly the same.

At least this feels like there is just some tinkering at the edges rather than being completely rigged.

Why don't any of them pronounce Medellín like Madonna does? :confused:

I love Jo so much

She's lovely. Sam is often very sweet but she does have the patience of a saint.

Dom looked very peaky even after they resumed racing and the civil unrest seems to follow this lot about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom