RSD 2022 + general vinyl discussion

RSD has jumped the shark. A lot of retailers found a relative lack of enthusiasm this year. The absence of some traditional big-hitters was blamed by some (ie no Bowie, who usually has more than one title and brings the punters) as well as the poor quality of some of the products i.e. no audiophile wants picture discs, outtakes that have been on CD for 20+ years on vinyl 'for the first time!' (big fucking whoop) etc etc. I mean, The Residents' entry this year was actually called 'Leftovers' and had a pic of mouldy food on the cover, arranged to look like the classic logo. A bit on the nose.

Yeah, I think once the titles that people actually wanted sold out (almost immediately) - Lady Gaga, Prince, tATu, ShyGirl, Ariana Grande - the shops were just left with the above mountain of unsold stock which cannot be profitable for them. The stuff that sold out straight away could all have been released and sold out independently from RSD too.

Does the world really NEED two different colour variants of the Republica debut album in 2021..? Judging by the amount still on sale APPARENTLY NOT! :basil:

So how is this national album day thing going to happen? I can't be bothered to look. Ugh it'll be a total nightmare getting Fever won't it..

So how is this national album day thing going to happen? I can't be bothered to look. Ugh it'll be a total nightmare getting Fever won't it..

You can pre-order most of them online from most shops now, so I don't think it's going to be as BONKERS as Record Store Day for the stuff people actually want > https://www.resident-music.com/collection&path=39829

...this seems to be aside from Kylie's Fever which appears to be on the day only :D

C399F5D9-268F-40AB-ABE8-22C33E1BCDFE.jpeg

Magenta Head First reissue coming in November :disco:

Never mind the colour though it’s a long awaited reissue. Mind you have a copy of the first pressing. I’ll still get this too though.

Labels are absolutely cottoning on to the huge resale market of vinyl at the moment aren't they?
This week Sugababes and The Knife have cleared me out for about 70£+ for the reissues of One Touch and Silent Shout once shipping is factored in. I wouldn't normally INDULGE £35ish (including shipping) on a vinyl unless it was uber-special, unfortunately for me they are both KEY ALBUMS for my collection :D

Another example is the new Billie Eilish album priced at about 40£ish out the gate, and the PJ Harvey reissues have crept up from about £17.99 each standard to about 20.99-27.99 depending where you are looking online :D
Yes, I’m just about to spend £70 on Primitives reissues that I just bought on cd reissue.

In hypocrisy news, I'm eyeing up the vinyl reissues of the 4th and 5th Autechre albums despite there being nothing wrong with the CD copies I've owned for 24 and 22 years respectively. I do not usually fall of this shit, I wonder what's different here?

I've got to the stage of hating myself for being taken in by buying things I already own, particularly from an environmental perspective.

Obviously not enough to cancel Kylie Disco and all those fucking Abba Voyage copies I'll resent looking at until one of us dies, though...

I can't even remember how many VOYAGE copies I've ordered at this point ugh.
I genuinely struggle to keep track. I THINK I've got ordered all of them, then suddenly have a panic and have to check again. And it's low twenties.

Well I decided to buy the U2 Achtung Baby reissue (coloured limited numbered blah blah) and it sounds great on vinyl. Also I wasn't expecting to see Adam Clayton's big fat cock!

Last edited:
RSD 2022 list announced.

Not much I want on there apart from Madonna

The Albert Ayler set is coming out on CD shortly afterwards so I'm good for this year.

Very annoyed by The Residents release: the material is all taken from the expanded "pREServed" editions, except that only 6 of the 10 parts of "1-10 (With A Touch Of 11)" have been released before - what an absolute cunt to ask us to cough up for a double album to pick up the other 4 sections.

That 2022 list screams SALES RACKS FOR ALL ETERNITY for our poor record shops (most of which seem to be STILL trying to shift a lot of last year's RSD stock).
I'll probably inevitably pick up the Erika De Casier remixes, and maybe Corinne Bailey Rae, online post RSD, but no interest in queuing up for it :D

Stevie Nicks, Jessie Ware, Melanie C, Blondie, Sheena Easton, FRAGMA (:D), PinkPantheress, Beth Orton, Prince (Gold Experience) and a few others may be of interest to a few on here, but nothing I'm personally GAGGING for.

I just saw "Sugababes - Anniversary remixes" which is presumably the remixes from the One Touch reissue with zero new content from the band themselves? :D I can't imagine even the most hardcore of their fans BUSTING for THAT! :D

I’ll look at the list more closely in due course but nothing stood out demanding attention like it has in past lists. I’ll probably pick up the Skunk Anansie and Carina Round offerings but I have them on cd already so I’m not in the I have to have that mode. Always like to pick up a few things though.

So anyone partaking on Saturday? I’m feeling terribly under pressure now after mouthing off to a couple of friends who live overseas in towns that don’t have vinyl record shops that I was adept at getting what I wanted at these kind of things and promptly received their wish lists.

Last edited:
I'm definitely going to be there but I just know it'll be the usual shit with none of what I want available in store and yet already on Discogs and eBay for extortionate prices

I'm definitely going to be there but I just know it'll be the usual shit with none of what I want available in store and yet already on Discogs and eBay for extortionate prices
The last couple I’ve been to I’ve went to my family hometown rather than here in the city and the whole thing seems more in the spirit of things there still, I’ve always found what I wanted. I asked him to get in Skunk Anansie, Carina Round and Madonna and he’s confirmed they’ve arrived. Hopefully I can get my hands on them.

Thankfully, a local shop I know started doing some weird, online queuing system during lockdown and is secretly still doing the same now for existing customers only. I put my order in, he’s already told me everything is in stock and I’ll get it, he’ll send an invoice tomorrow and drop it round tomorrow night. LOVELY.

As I’m about to be skint, for the first time ever I’ve bought something to sell on, as I think the Northern Star vinyl is genuinely limited and so will be sought after. I hate myself a tiny weeny bit, but equally, Menly fans deserve all they get. And if it covers my other purchases, I’m happy that I’ve justified not spending shitloads when I won’t have an income in six weeks.

For the most part, you don’t actually need to bother. Nearly EVERYTHING turns up somewhere at 6pm online and most artists hold back copies for the fan base a few weeks down the line anyway. I’ve never failed to get what I want ever.

The OLD TOOT I want list is:

Belinda Carlisle: The Heaven on Earth Tour
Elton John: The Complete Thom Bell Sessions
Mariah Carey: #1s
Melanie C: Northern Star
Sheena Easton: The Definitive 12” Singles
Stevie Nicks: Bella Donna

I was thinking of getting the Mel C too in the hope of flogging it. It’s the Carina Round I want most though as there’s only 300 of those (apparently).

Of all the things I’ve ordered, most of the 2LPs are around £33 from my seller, which is more expensive than I see online but enough for me not to have to queue, but Stevie Nicks is FIFTY EIGHT FUCKING POUNDS! That’s outrageous!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom