Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Supposedly out in December

Obviously her vox were made for this part but she really is a bit pigeon holed isn’t she?

Well she's not the greatest THESP so what else is she gonna do beyond VOX-HEAVY BIOPICS?

Is it disrespectful to say I feel like I've already seen this film 9 times

Great gowns, lovely gowns but the movie is just too long and flat. It’s just wizzes from one scene to the other with not much focus.

Well this seems to have just come out with almost no promo, unless there’s something I’ve missed.

Quite ironically the best thing I can say about it is, great gowns… beautiful gowns.

Firstly it does NOT need to be two and a half hours long under any circumstance. J-Hud is generally good with the material she’s been given, although it’s unfortunate because she doesn’t look or sound anything like Aretha (who does?), yet doesn’t quite embody her spirit either, and you’ve got to have at least one of those three things for it to properly work.

It’s really just quite a bland screenplay compared to a lot of other musician biopics.

Last edited:
They've chucked this out rather unceremoniously which leads me to suspect it's not very good. The Cynthia Erivo TV show seems to have come and gone with no trace too.

Good, I can't bear either of the lead actresses. Hudson winning that Oscar still rankles!

The reviews were mixed, but it has 67% on Rottentomatoes which is higher than Bohemian Rhapsody, and that still somehow won Oscars, so...

The reviews were mixed, but it has 67% on Rottentomatoes which is higher than Bohemian Rhapsody, and that still somehow won Oscars, so...

Yeah but Bohemian Rhapsody was a hit. Jennifer might still get a nomination just because but I don’t see it winning anything.

Thanks for merging topics. I did search but it didn't seem to come up.

The main problem really lies with the screenplay. I already knew she'd had a baby of her own as a child and that she didn't really talk about it that much, so they glossed over that briefly with a few flashbacks to her being molested by some random guy. And the domestic violence with her first husband - not sure if she'd have been happy with that era of her life being focussed on so much because it really didn't define her at all. I know it's based on truth, but you can't help but compare to What's Love Got To Do With It, which was at least authorised by Tina Turner.

Last edited:
I liked it. I had no idea about the pregnancy at 12, there was an audible gasp from quite a few in the cinema. I guess Jen has redeemed herself from the Cats horror show.

I would've like to have seen more from the later years rather than a gloss over though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom