Rina Sawayama - Hold the Girl

I’m sure her streams will go through the ROOF with the captive post-Gen Z audience that is the Strictly Come Dancing fanbase!

I think she sold the crap out of the song but "This Hell" has always been half fun/half naff and coupled with the sparkly cowboy hat, I'm not sure that was a perfect match. I would have preferred "Frankenstein" which is the better song, too.

Ohhh I thought that was fab. Could’ve done with more dancers and going full Thriller since she was actually able to keep up in choreography with them… makes a change from any Strictly performances I’ve seen where the singers stand on a box at least.

Can someone add a "vote for your favourite" poll with the singles? @Moderator

This Hell
Catch Me In The Air
Hold The Girl
Phantom
Hurricanes
Frankenstein

Curious to see where Mopsy lands :eyes:

WHERE is the Above And Beyond remix of Holy??? :argh: Needed urgently pls.

I found the singles for this album so strange.
In retrospect I really didn't need Catch Me In The Air AND Phantom as singles, and I think Phantom is the better song so CMITA gtfo.
Similarly Hurricanes is just so...bland to me. I can only assume it's a personal favourite of Rina, as I can't imagine anybody who isn't already a fan hearing it and thinking "MUST pick up her album :)" Imagining really should have been unleashed in it's place.

I don't think I've read it anywhere online, but the melody of Hold The Girl (the song) is SO mid-naughties Eurovision it hurts :D
I can always imagine the camera cutting to flag-waving EuroLOONS in front of the stage during the final chorus.

I went to her tour date in Milan on Saturday night. this woman performs like she's the biggest fucking superstar in the world. it was such a wonderful show.

the (quite lengthy) rock/industrial section was definitely the highlight. I got my life to Holy, Imagining and Catch Me In the Air. I think her new music is such a glow-up I'm not into her earlier stuff that much, but I've become a proper STAN now. everything off Hold the Girl was fucking amazing. she simply has it.

gorgeous cute speeches to the crowd too. she loves the interaction and we were ALL IN.

Wanted to see her in Berlin on Friday. But since I'm bedridden today that won't happen. :)

“The second album was the first time that I felt like people just don’t like me," she says. "That might come from the queer community, from the Asian community. And I’m part of the community. Why aren’t you supporting me? But it happens. So now, I don’t read a single review. I don’t watch them. I film my shows on a GoPro and study them, but I don’t [pay attention to] what people have to say about my music or my live shows.”

🥴

I had been wondering why things were so quiet chez Rina. :( this is sad to read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom