Sabina Nessa

Star

Homo Secretary (OB)
Has Moopy heard about the death of this young lady? Found murdered in a London Park on Saturday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-58639602

Obviously there are similarities to the Sarah Everard case, whereby woman are not safe at night. I'm just really shocked at the lack of media coverage on this considering how much Sarah got. I hadn't heard about it until a friend put it on Facebook today.

Absolutely terrible. That poor beautiful young girl with her whole life ahead of her. It really doesn’t bear thinking about. :(

I saw it literally a couple of minutes ago on twitter, when someone I follow liked this

Has Moopy heard about the death of this young lady? Found murdered in a London Park on Saturday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-58639602

Obviously there are similarities to the Sarah Everard case, whereby woman are not safe at night. I'm just really shocked at the lack of media coverage on this considering how much Sarah got. I hadn't heard about it until a friend put it on Facebook today.
I heard about it a few days ago. I do wonder if it got less coverage because it appears her body (sadly) was found very quickly, whereas Sarah Everard was at first instance a disappearance across a number of days. Who knows. It’s dreadful either way - her poor family and her poor children.

I know you will never eliminate this entirely, but educating young men about how to treat women at an early age is a good start (and no it doesn’t mean all men are dangerous, it’s just good sense). At a time when a number of men have also got off relatively lightly for killing women on the basis of it happening during so called ‘rough sex’, the criminal justice system also needs to take a good look at itself.

Last edited:
I heard about it a few days ago. I do wonder if it got less coverage because it appears her body (sadly) was found very quickly, whereas Sarah Everard was at first instance a disappearance across a number of days. Who knows. It’s dreadful either way - her poor family and her poor children.

I know you will never eliminate this entirely, but educating young men about how to treat women at an early age is a good start (and no it doesn’t mean all men are dangerous, it’s just good sense). At a time when a number of men have also got off relatively lightly for killing women on the basis of it happening during so called ‘rough sex’, the criminal justice system also needs to take a good look at itself.

The fact there wasn't a 'search' for her probably did mean she got a bit less coverage I agree. But equally I remember having a conversation with @cwej about the two sisters who went missing and were eventually found murdered that happened near us. Again they recieved very little coverage.
There was just such a (justified) outcry after Sarah, didn't Kate Middleton even put flowers down for her? I wonder if this girl will recieve the same.

Good point about educating our young people though too.

That number of women is shocking, I honestly had no idea :(
It’s an incredible figure considering the UK has a relatively low murder rate. That is probably something like 10-15% of the overall homicide rate (and appears to be increasing) which I think is actually a very high proportion when the overall nature of homicide occurrences is considered (linked to crime, usually male on male etc.). Others may know better than I do.

The fact there wasn't a 'search' for her probably did mean she got a bit less coverage I agree. But equally I remember having a conversation with @cwej about the two sisters who went missing and were eventually found murdered that happened near us. Again they recieved very little coverage.
There was just such a (justified) outcry after Sarah, didn't Kate Middleton even put flowers down for her? I wonder if this girl will recieve the same.

I think race has something to do with it. Look at all the headlines the Gabby Petito case is generating in the US.

Last edited:
I think race has something to do with it. Look at all the headline the Gabby Petito case is generating in the US.
Almost certainly (and I expect you can add social class into that to some extent). Also makes me wonder how little media is probably generated when a murder of a woman takes place outside of the capital. There are probably cases we barely hear about or don’t hear about at all (the numbers would suggest so).

I think race has something to do with it. Look at all the headlines the Gabby Petito case is generating in the US.

And this morning the news is not even front page on the BBC website.

It's just really shocking in this day how the media can get away with what they do, and how no one can pick them up on it :(

I do wonder if it got less coverage because it appears her body (sadly) was found very quickly, whereas Sarah Everard was at first instance a disappearance across a number of days.

Partly, yes.

But the reality is that the media care a lot less if the victim isn't white. They specifically had to say that the Nessa's murder was believed to be committed by someone who was a stranger to her because the media shrugged their shoulders and went "meh, honour killing" and did fuck all. Horrible.

And this morning the news is not even front page on the BBC website.

It's just really shocking in this day how the media can get away with what they do, and how no one can pick them up on it :(

There was a piece on Channel 4 news (I think it was the night before last) about Sabina and (the lack of) coverage of the case as compared to Sarah Everard.

This has been huge on my social media, and how I heard about it in the first place. I was amazed it hadn't been national news and I heard about it myself via an Instagram carousel.
Everybody is so angry that it happened, about the lack of coverage, and the obvious comparison of how much race seems to denote media space - whilst not comparing the two cases, which are both as tragic as each other.

I have seen a bit more coverage today, The Guardian have it as a main story for example, but it's too little too late.

Have any details been released about the murder? Is it thought to be a random attack, or friends/family? It was all incredible vague on the details when I was looking yesterday.

Upping the story is clearly from social media pressure, isn’t it? I only heard about it on Twitter yesterday afternoon from my local council’s feed. Following all of the SE London councils and police forces, you’d even think they would have posted something on Saturday to at least warn females in the area.

It also appears she was attacked not when walking home, but in the space of 5 minutes between leaving home and going to a local pub to meet a friend.

Yes, it's totally a reaction to that. Front page of Metro website, but barely a column on page 4 of the paper, and then the headline is about Khan's reaction to it, rather than the tragic murder of a young woman.

I've bought the Mirror for the 8 page Abba pullout :goodgrief:, and I can't see they have the story at all.

Last edited:

Yes I think finding the body quickly plays some part in it of course, but there's ALWAYS some excuse for why the murders of black and asian women don't make the news in the same way as white women and it's not OK.

For the record, Bibaa and Nicole were NOT found straight away and their FAMILY had to find their bodies because the police didn't think their disappearance was urgent enough. I also don't think there was nearly enough outcry about the police misconduct in their case in which officers took selfies of themselves with the bodies.. Imagine the outrage if that had happened to Sarah Everard...

It all makes me so sad and so angry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom