Saint Etienne - I've Been Trying To Tell You

I guess one can PUT IT ON when one's having a MASSAGE. Saves having to google TWO HOUR LO-FI HIP HOP BEATS.

Penlop definitely has a bit more about it than Music Again:

Being shown CHESTER TOWN by Lady Cracknell, what an INVITATION

I think I'm going to hold out now. There's not enough on the album for me to want to listen to everything beforehand...

Penlop is definitely my favourite selection from the album so far. NSFW video with rather cringey scenes of couples kissing and a guy and his dick just lolling about in the bath for some reason:

So I’ve just attended the premiere of the film and album. Ok, so do you want the good news or the bad news?

I’ll go bad first- as expected the “album”is a selection of soundscapes, not songs. But apparently it was recorded first so it isn’t strictly a soundtrack. There is hardly any Sarah, it is nearly all loops and filters and the Sarah there is is mostly just a repeated line or two.

The good news? I really like it- and with the film it makes a lot more sense. Particularly if you are old like me and were around in the 90s. The film looks gorgeous, it’s very homoerotic (lots of lingering shots of naked-ish boys doing things, a gay sex scene and even a bit of full frontal nudity). There’s a dream like quality to everything- including obvious references to things like Twin Peaks- and the director is obviously a Saint Etienne fan boy, as it’s stuffed with references to the band (song lyrics, mopeds harking back to Pale Movie, hell, even an actual Burnt Out Car).

Oh and the samples…well, one of the tracks samples a Samantha Mumba album track.

It’s not an album in the traditional sense, but I think I’m going to love it. I already can’t wait to see it again. Which is a good job as I’ve got tickets to the 9pm showing as well :D

I notice the download has been reduced to £5.99 at their Bandcamp page. Feels like an acknowledgement that this maybe isn't being considered a "proper" album.

Of course I'm buying this because I have everything by them, but I knew it was essentially a "soundtrack" as opposed to a "proper new album" and I'll adjust my mood and expectations of it accordingly.

The film is being shown at a few Showcase cinemas this evening, together with a filmed Q&A with Bob and Alasdair McLellan

So anyone bothered? Obviously, I've got about 100 formats coming, but three have turned up early enough to get involved today. In what has been a cruddy week, it's made me very happy as you can see below!

I have to say I am loving this now. It's noodly rather than song-driven but that's entirely ok- it works so well. Blue Kite and Little K are the standouts for me so far.

1631305838741.png

It’s definitely my favourite so far. As I said on Twitter, it’s a haunted fairground where something gruesome happened years ago.

I still haven't listened to this. I decided it could wait until my copy arrived but Rough Trade haven't deigned to even dispatch it yet.

I still haven't listened to this. I decided it could wait until my copy arrived but Rough Trade haven't deigned to even dispatch it yet.
I went ALL THE WAY to Rough Trade on Sunday and it WASN'T EVEN IN STOCK!

On cd? There have been issues with all the copies being pressed in Holland and stuck in lorry driver shortage and Brexit customs hell!

STOCKING PROBLEMS!

I’m hoping they haven’t been counted in the charts yet as they are #14 in the chart update. Obviously it’s going to collapse like fuck but getting a late week release of CDs might help stop that being quite so pronounced.

I made a rare stop in HMV today and I did notice that it wasn't on the New Release shelves at all that I could see...

I made a rare stop in HMV today and I did notice that it wasn't on the New Release shelves at all that I could see...
I was surprised they didn't have it underneath releases in Rough Trade here, either.

On cd? There have been issues with all the copies being pressed in Holland and stuck in lorry driver shortage and Brexit customs hell!

STOCKING PROBLEMS!

I’m hoping they haven’t been counted in the charts yet as they are #14 in the chart update. Obviously it’s going to collapse like fuck but getting a late week release of CDs might help stop that being quite so pronounced.

Yes on CD/DVD. I did look at the fancy box but it seemed a bit extravagant for an album I wasn't convinced was going to be entirely my bag.

Oh ok, I won't seethe at Rough Trade too much. I just checked Amazon and they have both vinyl and CD as being released TOMORROW. Hopefully they know something.

Yeah, a complete fuck up only Saint Etienne could manage. But out of their control really. Such a shame- think it would have been their highest chart position in a while, albeit I’m not sure how much difference a CD in the shops would make.

The box sets only got dispatched yesterday as well for the same reason. I think all the vinyls have arrived, though- albeit I might have forgotten one or two I ordered :D

They had it in Fopp on Friday - on CD, that is. At £13, I assume it was the edition with the DVD.

They had it in Fopp on Friday - on CD, that is. At £13, I assume it was the edition with the DVD.

Not sure- that may have been the standard as no one seems to have the CD/DVD Edition yet.

The boxset appears to have started landing this morning.

I've not bothered giving this a spin yet.

But noodly no hits Etienne is right up my street so I hope I'm going to love it.

Not sure- that may have been the standard as no one seems to have the CD/DVD Edition yet.

The boxset appears to have started landing this morning.

I didn't look at it - £13 for the single CD? No wonder HMV/Fopp are always in trouble...

I didn't look at it - £13 for the single CD? No wonder HMV/Fopp are always in trouble...

Yes HMV had a couple of copies in the racks at that price on Saturday and it was the standard. On their website the CD/DVD is £15.

My copy from Rough Trade was dispatched today. Maybe there will be a midweek bump tomorrow.

Is the 'standard' CD the 2 CD version? That's what I saw in Rough Trade today, as well as the standard vinyl. Think it was £11.99.

I think there’s two versions of the cd- standard (without dvd) and with. I only went for the latter as the former will be around forever to inevitably pick up for £5 somewhere down the line.

And then there's a CD with the DVD as well?

WHY IS BEING A LOON SO BLOODY EXPENSIVE THESE DAYS?

I'm a bit disappointed that this is 'only' a concept instrumental type album, I heard some clips or teasers a couple weeks ago and thought it sounded wonderful, very similar to their earliest work, trippy and moody.

That said, Sheena's write up sounds promising and maybe I'll give it a whirl still. There's a fine line between ambient pop and MUSAK (or as my sister calls it, lift music) but I'm sure the Et know how to be on the right side of it.

Up to #11 today

Sorry if it’s been covered but is the DVD the film that was shown in some cinemas recently?

Well the dvd is certainly worth the extra couple of squids

I usually dont have much tolerance for artsy models in slomo shit but it's lovely

And portmeirion <3

Well the dvd is certainly worth the extra couple of squids

I usually dont have much tolerance for artsy models in slomo shit but it's lovely

And portmeirion <3

HOORAY! Yes, it’s pretty marvellous. Gives a whole other context to the album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom