Saturday Night Live

VoR

Take it or leave it
Tiffany Haddish hosted Saturday Night Live last night

Last edited:
Apparently she’s the first black female comedian to ever host SNL. I looked it up and it’s true. Whoopi Goldberg made a cameo in a sketch once but never hosted.

Apparently she’s the first black female comedian to ever host SNL. I looked it up and it’s true. Whoopi Goldberg made a cameo in a sketch once but never hosted.
That really is astonishing.

Maya Rudolph has hosted. She's not FULLY black, but still

Edit: also I guess Maya isn't a stand up comedian

Maya was a cast member not a host.

I love that skit more so because it's so messy.

These really need to be in a separate thread, but all hail Maya Rudolph. I can't find her best Donatella Versace sketch (YouTube only has the later stuff), but her Chrstina is fantastic

Moved the topic. Wasn't sure what to call it. Amend if necessary.

Jessica Chastain was pretty great on this week's episode. This sketch where she sort of sends up both Trump and her own reputation as a particularly outspoken liberal was probably the highlight.

Aidy and Cecily are the absolute funniest - these two dog sketches in which Cecily just about keeps a straight face are really funny

Harry Styles' monologue was fantastic. This skit by Aidy Bryant was my favourite of the week

Is it weird that Joan Song is the first time I’ve slightly fancied Harry? :D

My favourite from this week's episode. I actually did have a teacher who used to turn up at people's parties, and it was indeed quite odd.

The Will Ferrell ep was great, SNL feels very energised at the moment.

This ALL STAR sketch was quite something (Maya Rudolph! Fred Armisen! Woody Harrelson! Rachel Dratch! Larry David!) - the Bernie bits had me howling

I really wish the show made better use of Melissa Villaseñor in general. She’s so endearing.

I think this is actually coming to Sky. There’s a new Sky Comedy channel starting today and SNL was mentioned in an email I got.

Reactions: VoR
SNL taking on almost any cultural or political issue is usually completely unfunny. It's like a Salon article set to a laughter track.

I don't know a whole lot about it pre-2016 but now it seems to be basically a comfort blanket for traumatised #Resistance people. The celebrity Trump sketches are so, so bad.

SNL is my favourite thing on TV to be honest. Getting up on Sunday, making lunch and watching last night's show is a real ritual of mine.

The political sketches are hit and miss but the cast is excellent and the current season has been a terrific run of form with several superb guest hosts in a row. I just pray Cecily or Aidy don't leave anytime soon cos I don't know how I'd COPE

I used to religiously download it and watch every week, but now I just download them all every now and then (I have every episode ever so it’s just for completion) only watching full episodes when it’s a good host.

SNL taking on almost any cultural or political issue is usually completely unfunny. It's like a Salon article set to a laughter track.

I don't know a whole lot about it pre-2016 but now it seems to be basically a comfort blanket for traumatised #Resistance people. The celebrity Trump sketches are so, so bad.

i literally ventured into this thread to say how much i have gone off snl. everything i've seen of late has been so painfully unfunny. i can't even be bothered with the opening monologues anymore (the music guests are usually people i really don't need to see any more of). i think i've even gone off kate mckinnon who i adored.

cecily strong is my favourite and melania moments is the last funny thing they've done. (strong was funny as tulsi gabbard and rudolph was great as kamala harris but their debate sketches are actively pointless and unfunny)

i literally ventured into this thread to say how much i have gone off snl. everything i've seen of late has been so painfully unfunny. i can't even be bothered with the opening monologues anymore (the music guests are usually people i really don't need to see any more of). i think i've even gone off kate mckinnon who i adored.

cecily strong is my favourite and melania moments is the last funny thing they've done. (strong was funny as tulsi gabbard and rudolph was great as kamala harris but their debate sketches are actively pointless and unfunny)
They’re usually only as good as their hosts. They need to stop getting uncharismatic sports stars to host and more people with some kind of comedy background.

RuPaul and Eddie Murphy were great. A recent one with Donald Glover was fantastic when they stopped getting political - random parody of Orange “Juice” Jones video was truly inspired.

The 90s were the best era and depending on the host early 00s were fine, if a little underrated by idiots constantly claiming that it’s not been funny since the 70s. The first 5 years with the classic super cast are really quite overrated but so many Americans look back at that era with rose tinted glasses.

The 90s were the best era and depending on the host early 00s were fine, if a little underrated by idiots constantly claiming that it’s not been funny since the 70s. The first 5 years with the classic super cast are really quite overrated but so many Americans look back at that era with rose tinted glasses.

who are your favourite cast members ever, ellie?

sidebar: i saw the eddie murphy opening dialogue and thought it was just fine. i also tried a rupaul sketch (with pete davidson) and while it started off really well but by the end it completely fizzled out.

SNL cold open last night with a surprise cameo from a recently dropped-out Democratic presidential candidate :o

Cecily, Kate and Daniel taking all the precautions in Modesto :disco:

Last edited:
Like most SNL cold opens, I found that sketch to be overlong and not particularly funny, but I could watch Maya Rudolph all day. She's an absolute comic genius.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom