Scottish politics thread (including 2021 Holyrood elections, potential IndyRef2, and SNP leadership contest)

It's remarkable how little has changed. After everything Scotland has been through, how anyone can vote Tory is absolutely beyond me. Your flagshagging is that important, eh? Saints preserve us.

1620727939738.png

Look who is no longer "sick"...👀

I am sure the timing of vanishing when Alba was announced and reappearing after they were a complete failure is PURELY COINCIDENTAL

Though I always worry with news like this it's because they're doing some other, worse, stuff that'll give them a bigger platform.

I don't believe it for a second. It's a build-up to some grifting. "OK, OK, I can carry on but I need YOUR help...here's my gofundme..."

Yeah, probably - there's probably some sort of behind the scenes reshuffling and planning going on among the Alba types at the moment. I'm expecting the worst.

Yeah, probably - there's probably some sort of behind the scenes reshuffling and planning going on among the Alba types at the moment. I'm expecting the worst.

I think a lot of promises were made to Salmond based on "if you get a seat" and Salmond made promises on the basis of those promises. But it didn't happen and a whole sequence of events just fell apart sometime on Saturday afternoon. Look at Cherry's sudden reappearance, what do we think her plans were if Eck was joining Holyrood?

So yes, there will be taking stock and planning going on but whether anyone is still prepared to throw their lot behind someone whose public reputation is clearly damaged way beyond their expectation is another question.

Reactions: COB
Alison Johnstone, co-leader of the parliamentary greens in the last parliament, has just been chosen to be the Presiding Officer. So one less Green MSP now.

But still, quite something that a (former) Green will now be in charge of Parliament and dealing with the extras that entails. Especially the bits with the Royal family when she is a Republican. :D

I was too late getting there, I missed their release by about half an hour. But there was a proper buzz around with people excited that they'd made the home office back down

Apparently if has to be a sitting MSP which means there are only 3 possibilities. The favourite being (the very annoying) Alex Cole-Hamilton

Detail here: https://www.gov.scot/binaries/conte...ement+-+FINAL+-+OFFSEN.pdf?forceDownload=true

The thing I am most interested in is where the greens are specifically exempted from cabinet collectivity.

5. While we share an ambition that Scotland should be a wellbeing economy that measures its success by reference to environmental and social objectives as well as economic objectives, the role of Gross Domestic Product measurements, and economic principles related to concepts of sustainable growth and inclusive growth, are excluded from this agreement.

6. Recognising that an agreement to collaborate and cooperation on budgets and matters of supply does not prevent us from having different visions for the longterm future of Scotland’s economy and on support for certain sectors, aviation policy (except in respect of island aviation connectivity and Highlands and Islands Airports Limited), the future of green ports, and direct financial support to businesses involved in the aerospace, defence and security sectors are excluded from this agreement.

7. Recognising that while we share the ambition that Scotland should be a good global citizen, contributing constructively on global challenges, and that we both support an expansion of Scotland’s presence on the international stage, our approaches to international relations are not aligned, international relations are excluded from this agreement, except to the extent they are addressed in the shared programme. And while we both believe that Scotland should be an independent, outward-looking country, playing a full part in an inclusive, rules-based international 10 system, as we have different views on the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) commitment to membership of NATO following independence is excluded from this agreement.

8. While we have been able to agree significant areas for priority action in species protection, field sports are excluded from this agreement, except to the extent they are addressed in the shared programme.

9. While we agree that support should be provided to women selling sex, including healthcare support, the legal status and regulation of selling sex is excluded from this agreement.

10. While we have agreed to work together to take forward a programme of education reform, private fee-paying independent schools are excluded from this agreement.

Into it. I've enjoyed Alba trying to claim that this particular pro-independence supermajority is a calamity. It's almost like there's something else at the back of it all. 🤔🤔🤔

Programme for Government was released today (The Scottish Parliament version of the Queen's Speech)

Doesn't look like we're getting an IndyRef bill or solid plan this year, but civil servants will be working on it again after taking a Cornova pause.

Gender Recognition Act will be this year, which will almost certainly pass but not without drama. National Care Service should be passed this year too. Trains will be nationalised by March apparently, and they also want to sort out fireworks :disco:

Longer term, they want to introduce a minimum income (and should there be independence/more devolution, UBI), a four day week, and look into getting rid of the "Not Proven" verdict, leaving just 'Guilty' and 'Not Guilty'.

Tons of other more boring stuff, here:

Not Proven needs to go. If the crown haven't proved their case, it's Not Guilty. Not Proven leaves a stain.

(The almost certainly pass bit, not the drama obviously)

The same 90-or-so people outside Holyrood with Graham Linehan and his weirdly large head wobbling away at the front.

The Herald have gone full TERF but they're on a sticky wicket because their advertising is drying up so, even tho' they moved out of their big office, they're still in a bit of trouble.

Not Proven needs to go. If the crown haven't proved their case, it's Not Guilty. Not Proven leaves a stain.
Not proven is almost worth keeping for the ability to translate it as either ‘not guilty and don’t do it again’ or ‘ye probably did it but there’s no enough evidence to hang ye’.

The same 90-or-so people outside Holyrood with Graham Linehan and his weirdly large head wobbling away at the front.

The Herald have gone full TERF but they're on a sticky wicket because their advertising is drying up so, even tho' they moved out of their big office, they're still in a bit of trouble.

Scottish moopists, I saw this on an account I follow today.

What's the story with that little bit of Scotland - is it Fife? Is there much of a separatist movement there?

Yes it’s the Kingdom of Fife. I’m not aware that there is a big separatist movement. There was a one-man band who tried to set up the Fife Independence Party but was rejected by the electoral commission.

I think the small Orkney and Shetland separatist movements are more widely known. They’ve been vocal about how Holyrood feels detached from them, in the same way that Westminster is for a lot of Scots.

Lol is they Yorkshire running all the way up to the Scottish border? :D

Lol is they Yorkshire running all the way up to the Scottish border? :D
If that's meant to be Yorkshire, I don't think they have included any of actual Yorkshire within the border. I had assumed that there was somehow a Northumberland independence movement and they had forgotten Yorkshire was a thing.

I also can't imagine anyone east of the River Tamar being very happy about the presence of the Cornish flag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom