Scream 5

This is a poll

• Total voters
Someone needs to add a poll.

Also after Scre4m, why isn’t it called Scr5am?

Its a requel not a sequel :)

It's Scream 5 for me. It doesn't sit right that its just called Scream given that is the first one.

I know you're all in full 5cream mode but I watched Scream 4 recently and I enjoyed it in an empty calories kind of way. It was fun to play guess-who and some of the deaths were creative but the overall plot was frankly preposterous, teetering on recycling situations from previous Scream films because IT'S IRONIC TO REFERENCE YOURSELF. Well, it's also very lazy.

I feel like the more they drag the main three into increasingly unlikely scenarios with an increasingly younger cast the more bogged down these films will get. Scream 1 and 2 work because they spend a hefty amount of screen time building the characters and how they relate. 4 is so chock-full of characters they run out of scenes. The spiky Gale-Dewey relationship in it goes nowhere in the end, what was the point? They should have just passed the baton over to a new cast and do lovely cameos from then on.

I think my main issue with this one is their insistence that Scream is a “teen” franchise. The TV series committed the same crime imo.

The first film was a teen slasher because Sidney was a teen, but 2 & 3 changed to match Sidney at whatever stage of her life she was (college students, adults etc) and gave us different dynamics then 4 worked as a soft reboot but parachuting the legacy cast into yet another group of annoying teens felt a bit reductive. There’s just so many other avenues they could have explored with an older cast and Woodsboro.

I think my main issue with this one is their insistence that Scream is a “teen” franchise. The TV series committed the same crime imo.

The first film was a teen slasher because Sidney was a teen, but 2 & 3 changed to match Sidney at whatever stage of her life she was (college students, adults etc) and gave us different dynamics then 4 worked as a soft reboot but parachuting the legacy cast into yet another group of annoying teens felt a bit reductive. There’s just so many other avenues they could have explored with an older cast and Woodsboro.

I didn't think it was great but this point...they were trying to recreate the magic of Scream 1 weren't they, they kept going on about how the first one is the best and how latter ones spoil it. So I think the whole point of this one was that it was a 'teen' slasher.

I agree there is so much more they could do with future films, even spin off's with Sidney/Gail

I didn't think it was great but this point...they were trying to recreate the magic of Scream 1 weren't they, they kept going on about how the first one is the best and how latter ones spoil it. So I think the whole point of this one was that it was a 'teen' slasher.

I agree there is so much more they could do with future films, even spin off's with Sidney/Gail

But that's what they already did in Scream 4? They went back to Woodsboro, they created a whole teen gang that mirrored the original cast with the geek, the sassy best friend, the dodgy boyfriend etc. They even threw a horror themed party gone wrong for the final act.

But that's what they already did in Scream 4? They went back to Woodsboro, they created a whole teen gang that mirrored the original cast with the geek, the sassy best friend, the dodgy boyfriend etc. They even threw a horror themed party gone wrong for the final act.

I realy need to recap on Scream 4. I watched it at the cinema but can't remember much at all!

I feel like the more they drag the main three into increasingly unlikely scenarios with an increasingly younger cast the more bogged down these films will get.

Good luck with this one then :D

(If that's a spoiler delete please, but you don't need Mystic Meg to guess that one surely)

I was so excited about seeing this - the cinema we were in on Friday was basically empty though - as it's so rare to actually look forward to a new film AT THE CINEMA these days. Usually it's just to see whatever's on or Oscar contenders etc, but this felt like an essential opening day viewing.

And I did really enjoy it, for the most part. I thought main girl was excellent with a great back story. All the Screamisms were there, the kills were solid with some attempt to make them genuinely scary and the pace was far better than Scream 4 (which I love despite its flaws). The opening could never top that but they did a good job of taking it back to basics.

But I really couldn't care less about the rest of them except the female Randy and @jivafox summed it up why. For a 2 hour horror film on its 5th outing, we (and surely most of the core fans which is ironic given the point they kept trying to sledgehammer home) are mostly invested in the main three. Adding new teenagers is all fine, I get they have to have new people, but there just isn't time to flesh any of them out which means everyone onscreen suffers and at this stage they don't NEED a teen cast. It just feels a bit clunky having two casts side by side.

I mean, if you're going to lead Sidney into absurd peril AGAIN, you may as well make her the star. Or switch it up, make Gale the lead. Otherwise it's like they're being crowbarred into someone else's storyline when a cameo might suffice.

But...I'm aware I now sound exactly like the kind of fan the film makes a point about :D

Anyway it's still a lot of fun, there are so many lovely nods to previous films, Scream 4 feeling very much part of the whole universe is ace, and I can't knock a horror franchise this old that manages to keep original cast and stories alive for this long without breaking what's considered "canon". There's a lot to be grateful for.

And more Courtney Cox who probably gets a better deal here than in Scream 4. We are not worthy etc.

I haven’t read this thread but those poll scores have me rethinking my Saturday night plans next week.

Annoyingly the bit that took it down a notch for me was:

MAJOR SPOILERS

The finale pretty much. The choice of killer was incredibly lame in that Amber was probably the least interesting of them all, or at least, if she wasn't, you would never have known because she barely had any screentime to give a shit apart from that rather fun original basement reference. I clocked it might be her in the beginning when nothing came of her phone being "cloned" while main girl's sister was attacked at the start, but dismissed it because I forgot she was there.

The boyfriend, fine, I get that. But the logic behind their actions was even more ludicrous than Emma Roberts' "I WANT TO BE THE STAR" motive. At least that was ultimate high camp. This was almost pointless - as if the reason for them being killers was just to prove the very laboured and tiresome points they kept trying to make about remakes and originals. There's referential jokes and then there's...well there's that. The original Scream might have had a knowing wink at all times, but they forget Billy was a proper villain with a genuine (not justified obviously) motive.
But on the flip side, seeing them recreate old scenes in the same house was appreciated, especially the iconic ending shot and music

This, however, was utterly ICONIC:

Dewey's death of course, I did wonder if they'd have the balls to do it this time, and really it just felt right, yet for the weakest of the three it was still kind of devastating AND done in quite a dark and cruel way. Certainly a moment, but not as much of a moment as Courtney Cox getting ONE silent scene of slo-mo anguish, before cutting to her looking a bit FED UP as if she'd missed the bus :D Utter Queen.

Obviously the plot served as a semi realistic way to bring Sidney back too, even if it clearly would have been easier for Gale to fuck off back to New York and tell Sidney NOT to come

The bit that completely jumped the shark for me and kept taking me out of the movie was

the hallucinations of Billy Loomis :manson:

I haven’t read this thread but those poll scores have me rethinking my Saturday night plans next week.

No it's still worth it! I mean it helps if you feel a bit invested (or maybe that makes it worse as proven by us nit pickers) but it's surely essential if you've enjoyed the previous 4.

It certainly doesn't ruin the overall story arc and it's still great fun with loads of little easter egg type scenes.

The bit that completely jumped the shark for me and kept taking me out of the movie was

Yeah that didn't make much sense all things considered, I figured it was meant to be a suspect red herring thing because:

It did actually make me forget he was dead for awhile and I wondered if he was alive, released and in on it :shy:

$30m opening weekend, a marked improvement on the $18m of Scream 4, which only made $38m total in the USA.

Why DID that one tank so badly? I remember the reviews being decent - no better or worse than for this…

$30m opening weekend, a marked improvement on the $18m of Scream 4, which only made $38m total in the USA.

Why DID that one tank so badly? I remember the reviews being decent - no better or worse than for this…

Yeah I saw this and was kind of delighted (especially after my empty cinema viewing here which admittedly isn't a gauge for anything).

I can't remember what happened with 4 but this one seems to have gone for the Halloween 2018 reboot/sequel style which might have helped up the anticipation and because it's 25 years since the original there's more a feeling of nostalgia behind it. 4 didn't really have that (or enough time to have passed) going for it, more a very late sequel. Probably more casuals on board this time and a new generation or two that's now familiar via streaming etc.

I didn't mind that seeing as he is her DAD and she was traumatised by this with MH challenges

Jamie Kennedy’s (long but watchable) reaction (he loved it)

Last edited:
I do hope this is still showing next week. I was supposed to go last week, then we delayed until today, but I'd rather it coincide with a night out so have postponed again.

Lots of thoughts to come on this but immediate thoughts (seen tonight) was that they really pulled it out of the bag. I enjoyed the running reference to over-zealous franchise fans and the assertion that franchises don’t belong to them and owe them nothing.

It seems to be doing pretty well, no? I’m possibly in a bit of an echo chamber with who I follow but it’s been well received/reviewed generally and it’s taking are good (?)

How’s it comparing to Halloween please someone who knows these things?

I think it's doing ok, certainly much better than Scream 4 did at this stage in it's run (though that film made $97 million worldwide and was considered a flop) but nowehere near the Halloween reboot levels. Admittedly that reboot came out pre pandemic of course plus has the bonus of the Halloween season, January is a bit of a dud month so i think it's a win.

I think comparing to Halloween Kills, it'll likely fare better on the international market but the most it can hope for domestically now is about $70-75 million.

SCREAM 2022
OPENING $30,018,805
DOMESTIC $53,105,910
INTERNATIONAL $33,600,000
WORLDWIDE $86,705,910

HALLOWEEN 2018
OPENING $76,221,545
DOMESTIC $159,342,015
INTERNATIONAL $96,143,163
WORLDWIDE $255,485,178

HALLOWEEN KILLS 2021
OPENING $49,404,980
DOMESTIC $92,002,155
INTERNATIONAL $39,645,000
WORLDWIDE $131,647,155

It certainly (anecdotally) seems like the more popular / relevant franchise, internationally. I have heard people talking about seeing this in a way I didn’t about Halloween (but maybe that is an age group thing).

Again, potentially just my echo chamber, but yes absolutely seen so much more ‘going to see Scream’ than anything related to Halloween ever and I’d expect the demographic wouldn’t massively swing towards one and not the other

Just seen this and really enjoyed it. The returning cast were great, and I'm not generally a horror fan, but I enjoyed how meta it was, which feels necessary for a Scream film.

Some nitpicky points which didn't really take away from my enjoyment of it too much, but I will share anyway:

The final girl is quite a shit actress, so I'm low-key hoping if they make a sequel to the requel, she gets Drew Barrymore'd.

The teens all felt a bit UNDERDEVELOPED, and I was quite disappointed with how safe they played it with the murders. Did any of the ones who weren't murderers actually die other than the poor twink? I wanted a BLOODBATH, they could have at least let the other bloke bleed out in the garden.

Cinemas opened today and this was the first thing I did. What a delight.

I think I enjoyed the meta commentary the most, it’s just nice to see a movie articulate why fandoms are bad and toxic with their endless expectations in a way that made me laugh.

I think the biggest problem is that the actress playing Sam is such a dud. The little sister I immediately liked and wanted her to survive. Sam delivering that monologue in the hospital…big yikes.

I thought the rest of the kids were all pretty good (the twins were the standouts but the Sheriff’s son was also alright and he was the most recognizable new face). The slutty one was such a throwaway, I wonder if more of her scenes were just cut.

The hand sanitizer bit got the biggest laugh out of me.

I don’t have the same adoration for the original 3. I like ‘em but it’s just the same every movie with diminishing returns, Courtney bless her does the same thing every single time. I’m glad we’re down 1.

Last edited:
apparently Sydney’s husband is supposed to be Patrick Dempsey

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom