Shakespears Sister reunion

As someone who keeps an "archive", I have had several requests over the years from friends who wonder if I have a copy of something because they'll be blowed if they can find it anywhere. One of my friends lost a whole album and I had a copy of it! So I can see how things can go missing.

Oh COME ON! It's the latest record company scam that keeps people coming back for more! It's just the stupid reissue extension of repackaging a deluxe edition that they introduced in the early 00s and basically destroyed the industry because everyone would wait for the repackage to come out.

You shouldn't REALLY expect more stuff to magically appear six months after you've paid £200 or whatever it was for that all singing, all dancing boxset.

You shouldn't REALLY expect more stuff to magically appear six months after you've paid £200 or whatever it was for that all singing, all dancing boxset.

Oh, right enough - 6 months feels a bit too opportune, I'll give you that.

These home video / outtakes they are currently posting are quite cute.

Ole Marcy corpsing during the Stay video

Yes I assume this is the extra footage that is going on the DVD. Definitely no point getting that version if most/all is out there anyway.

The CD singles box is very shiny and unfortunately a fingerprint magnet. My t-shirt had a smudge from the signed photo bunged in with it but luckily came off in the wash.

The End is a proper song, obviously an unfinished Shuv demo but decent enough. The lyrics though...

In the end, the party has to end... Will you still be my friend?

That'll be a NO

Hormonally Yours back in the top 40 at #37, #9 on sales. Not bad for a (fab) album which has well and truly been milked.

I was thinking about these two earlier.

Are they still mates or what?

I don't think they truly resolved their issues, but are functional and probably don't want to shut the door on future opportunities if any come up. It's always seemed as though Shiv wanted to shove Marcy out and resented her, but Marcy had a terrible separate manager who was banned from their label's offices due to his shady finances and goings on. Marcy inadvertently reveals this in her completely boring self-published biography My Love Affair that she gave away with her last album (which she promised will be the last album she releases "under the name Marcella Detroit"), but doesn't really analyse it in terms of what that meant from Siob's point of view, etc.

Yes, I think professionally cordial is probably closest. I think Siobhan was overly compensating how they had resolved things in their return interviews. Perhaps as she was the one that ended things it’s more important to her to believe in that but I always got the impression Marcy was more reticent, less at ease and less on board with the friendship declarations in their interviews.

I saw a couple of recent interviews with Marcy and she appeared to be neutral about Siobhan, sometimes positive but overall mostly neutral. Still adamant Siobhan was jealous of her. I don’t know about anyone else but I don’t think I’d be happy if someone was publicly accusing me of jealousy.

I can kinda buy into it though unfortunately. Siobhan is cool, edgy and she’s a great songwriter but I don’t think there’s any comparison really is there. Marcy is one of the best singers I’ve ever come across and she can play multiple instruments like they’re nothing.

I don’t know this! Will listen

I’m not sure why im suddenly invested in this rivalry/fall out years later

Is Marcella generally accepted as the more talented of the two? I mean surely?

I don't really care who is recognised as the most talented. I can see why people may think Marcella, but in terms of why I love Shakespear's Sister, I'd say Siobhan is the bigger part of that.

I don’t believe Siobhan was jealous of Marcy. Shakespears Sister was Siobhan’s solo project, she was/is Shakespear’s Sister. Marcy started out very much a hired hand for the first album and Siobhan was kind of coerced into upgrading her to duo member by album two by the record company and by Dave Stewart during album one. To make matters worse Marcy took lead on their biggest hit and I think Siobhan was more resentful than jealous in that I think she felt undermined by the media and public in terms of her role in her own project. She admits her personality is to seethe inwardly rather than talk things out, always a recipe for a messy fall out.

I don’t believe Siobhan was jealous of Marcy. Shakespears Sister was Siobhan’s solo project, she was/is Shakespear’s Sister. Marcy started out very much a hired hand for the first album and Siobhan was kind of coerced into upgrading her to duo member by album two by the record company and by Dave Stewart during album one. To make matters worse Marcy took lead on their biggest hit and I think Siobhan was more resentful than jealous in that I think she felt undermined by the media and public in terms of her role in her own project. She admits her personality is to seethe inwardly rather than talk things out, always a recipe for a messy fall out.

That’s a fair point. Marcy does come across really well though for the most part, but the jealousy thing is a bit icky. She should probably drop that by now.

I don't really care who is recognised as the most talented. I can see why people may think Marcella, but in terms of why I love Shakespear's Sister, I'd say Siobhan is the bigger part of that.

Yeah Marcella may be technically the better singer (though somewhat reduced) and the all round musician but I still think predominantly of Siobhan when it comes to SS.

That said, I think I remember a Covid era interview with Marcella in which she commented that Siobhan would not let her have any leads on the reunion material. As much as the project was Siobhan's vision in the first place I think she could have tossed Marcy a bone with an EP track.

I assume they must be OK terms professionally as Marcella's album reissue was recently promoted through the SS accounts.

It is interesting comparing the two because they really are so different.

I remember their performance of Stay on Graham Norton after the comeback was announced and lots of people were commenting on how "bad" Marcy's vocals were. It definitely was a shaky performance but once she got into it she was hitting super high notes that most people couldn't manage, never mind a woman who at the time was in her late sixties! I saw in an interview she did recall that performance and felt it was bad, but said it was due to the overwhelm of actually being on stage and performing it with Siobhan. Fair enough.

I think both are cool, the whole vibe is just very very cool but I am a bells and whistles type of person and Marcy is much better at providing that.

It is interesting comparing the two because they really are so different.

I remember their performance of Stay on Graham Norton after the comeback was announced and lots of people were commenting on how "bad" Marcy's vocals were. It definitely was a shaky performance but once she got into it she was hitting super high notes that most people couldn't manage, never mind a woman who at the time was in her late sixties! I saw in an interview she did recall that performance and felt it was bad, but said it was due to the overwhelm of actually being on stage and performing it with Siobhan. Fair enough.

I think both are cool, the whole vibe is just very very cool but I am a bells and whistles type of person and Marcy is much better at providing that.

She's in her 70s and it was always a demanding vocal. I was one of those people posting that Siob must have been loving every second of that performance (sorry not sorry) as I felt it was quite awful really, but with all of Marcy's know-how, it really puzzled me that she isn't aware and that she didn't adjust the song to suit her new range - I'm a big believer that she could still inhabit that song in the otherworldly manner we remember it as being, but just in a more flattering way. We really did not get the vocal pay off from her on those performances and Siob had comparatively improved on what she delivered back in the day. I do love the clip where Siob says "now here is the song you've all been waiting for ... come forward Marcy!" or words to that effect. Even more surprised Marcy agreed to the reunion with not even one lead vocal. One of my favourite songs from her Gold album I even have to wonder if it was written for Fahey to sing in mind as it is so much lower in range (and all the better for it):

Her voice has definitely lowered and darkened but I imagine this is probably the norm for most singers. It’s quite surprising she was still attempting some of those high notes, although I did notice a slight change in approach. The note in Stay right after Siobs middle 8 is a clean whistle note IIRC and she definitely wasn’t hitting it like that during the comeback. I still thought she did ok though! I agree ultimately, if you can’t hit the notes quite so well you’re much better off giving it a new spin.

Her screams at the start of I Don’t Care are my favourites!

Yeah Marcella may be technically the better singer (though somewhat reduced) and the all round musician but I still think predominantly of Siobhan when it comes to SS.

That said, I think I remember a Covid era interview with Marcella in which she commented that Siobhan would not let her have any leads on the reunion material. As much as the project was Siobhan's vision in the first place I think she could have tossed Marcy a bone with an EP track.

I assume they must be OK terms professionally as Marcella's album reissue was recently promoted through the SS accounts.
I listened to the EP again to see which song Siobhan could possibly have thrown Marcy a few more lines on or lead (I’m personally glad she didn’t) and can only see it on ‘When She Finds You’ though there’s no way she was inviting someone in for a duet for it to be with Marcy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom