Sharon Van Etten - We've Been Going About This All Wrong

Sharon Van Etten has announced a new album.

'We've Been Going About This All Wrong', the follow-up to 2019's 'Remind Me Tomorrow', is due for release on May 6.

sharon_van_etten_lj_060422(2).jpg

It features Van Etten on guitar, synthesizers, piano, drum machine, wurlitzer, keys and more, supported by musicians from her regular touring band: Jorge Balbi on drums, Devon Hoff on bass, and live musical director Charley Damski on synthesizers and guitars.

Van Etten's recent singles Porta and Used To It will not appear on the new album, and we will not be hearing any advance singles prior to its arrival. She explained:

"I wanted to approach this release differently, to engage my fans in an intentional way, in an effort to present the album as a whole body of work. These ten songs are designed to be listened to in order, at once, so that a much larger story of hope, loss, longing and resilience can be told."
tracklist:

1 Darkness Fades
2 Home to Me
3 I’ll Try
4 Anything
5 Born
6 Headspace
7 Come Back
8 Darkish
9 Mistakes
10 Far Away

Well Porta is absolutely SUBLIME and was a contender for my ASFM (oh well!) so she’s on my radar now and will look forward to this

This came out Friday, the critical reception seems to be slightly cooler than her last couple of albums. I've only given it a couple of listens but I sort of get it. The second half feels more impactful than the first anyway:

Is there any new wave type stuff like “Porta”?

I mean I get her point but it’s very odd to have a career benchmark single and then completely ignore it in an album that comes out like a month later

Is there any new wave type stuff like “Porta”?

I mean I get her point but it’s very odd to have a career benchmark single and then completely ignore it in an album that comes out like a month later

There's nothing really like Porta but Mistakes is comfortably the most pop moment.

This song has the most extraordinary bridge and rousing final chorus and it gives the song a whole new outlook. I had to go back and listen to it again straight away. Lovely when a song just grabs you out of nowhere.

Mistakes is a real favourite but I need to revisit this album, and the Angel Olsen one as well.

I'm still AGOG at the new single. That build to the bridge and final chorus is one of the most spine-tingling things I've heard in music in ages. I should have saved this for ASFM.

@Suedey @BoysForSeles @jyxz @RJN @VoR have you heard this?
I have now that you’ve tagged me. I really enjoyed this on first listen, would’ve probably got my 20 on ASFM, right up my street. Will check out the album tomorrow too.

She's announced a deluxe version of the album for release on 11th November. There are only 2 extra tracks, one of which she released on Wednesday.

I really like the new song. I thought this album was meant to be an individual body of work though, now Porta and that other one and the two new songs are being lumped on to sell a deluxe LP

Porta should have never been omitted. The deluxe now makes it an album of the year contender.

I think I’d have to be in a particular mood to listen, but it’s been a lovely accompaniment whilst I’ve been making my meatballs

LOVE Sharon so much.
Whilst I initially wasn't keen on this album compared to the absolutely MAJESTICAL Remind Me Tomorrow, it's since grown on me so much and is another SLAM DUNK album in a row.

Headspace is just...too much, wow. And Darkness Fades is just such an incredible opening song and scene-setter.
She's SO GOOD live too, fully urge anybody to see her if you're lucky enough to have her play locally. Absolutely magnetic presence.

Last edited:
The album has grown on me too. The other new song rounds things off very nicely:

I think I want that DELUXE CUSTARD vinyl now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom