Sharron Davies is not only a TERF but a homophobic anti-drag CUNT

What do you think is the best way to ensure more people stand up for the trans community and target reducing transphobia?

Well, as an ally, I think my responsibility is to follow the lead of trans activists leading the fight, rather than dictating the way. I'll tell you this, in all my years of advocating for queer Muslims, I didn't feel the need to throw other communities under the bus, and even now, when I wrote a book about Islamophobia, I didn't feel the need to reference how relatively seriously antisemitism has been taken by the British media.

I don't know whether to put it here or in the JK Rowling thread, but I think that we need to fight for the rights of Trans+ people without throwing other minorities, particularly black people, under the bus. The constant references in equality conversations to blackface and 'you wouldn't do this to black people' are awful precisely because they minimise other struggles. The fact is, other minorities are ALSO simultaneously having their humanity denied. There's no real solidarity in doing that.

In fairness, it's transphobes who are making the comparison and trans people and their allies who are repelling it.

even now, when I wrote a book about Islamophobia, I didn't feel the need to reference how relatively seriously antisemitism has been taken by the British media.

But I don't feel that if you did, it would in any way damage your argument. I think there are probably more ways than one to work through the problem. Making people aware of the difference in the way that Islamophobia and anti-semitism have been treated by the media, is one way of calling out the problem and making it clearer. I'm a mathematician so I (and many others like me) am drawn to patterns, in history, in sociological groups, as a way to understanding what is happening.

I'm not saying your way is wrong, but I don't think that necessarily means that other ways are wrong too.

But I don't feel that if you did, it would in any way damage your argument. I think there are probably more ways than one to work through the problem. Making people aware of the difference in the way that Islamophobia and anti-semitism have been treated by the media, is one way of calling out the problem and making it clearer. I'm a mathematician so I (and many others like me) am drawn to patterns, in history, in sociological groups, as a way understanding what is happening.

I'm not saying your way is wrong, but I don't think that necessarily means that other ways are wrong too.

I think it’s a harmful way of arguing and shouldn’t be used because what it always inevitably leads to is illegitimatising the struggles of the group being used as the example. Any racism is bad and should and can be called out without using another - otherwise it ends up becoming a tool to absolve people of their own prejudices and it creates false equivalences.

Twitter really does bring out the worst in people. I hope they at least keep Instagram wholesome

At the moment, I take up the fight as an ally of trans/intersex people much more than I do any other group, because it seems a large majority of the population don't.

I'm not in any way reducing the struggles of gay people by using them as a comparison (which is the group I would compare them to specifically because the parallels are so fucking clear). What we've ended up doing though is once again fighting between liberal people on the left on the best way to handle it rather than fighting the actual problem.

The only solution to this is in-fighting in the left really, because half of the terfs are otherwise liberal feminists who read the Guardian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom