Sheena's 2022 Athletics Thread

I have just caught up with the women's 100mh - what the fuck with that time! :o

Pleased for our 4x400 girls and Keeley came so close too!

The 100m hurdles was WEIRD. It wasn't just Amusan- everyone else seemed to do runs well above their best for the season. But the final seemed to back it up...and then some!

Keeley was a shame- I thought she could take her. It sets things up beautifully for the next few years, though. It's going to be a great rivalry.

Yes just for a moment it felt like Keeley was going to get there.

The hurdles races were crazy. It did feel odd though, not helped by having the telly pundits questioning the time. The PV world record going is starting to feel routine, if that is possible for something so visually impressive.

Ingebrigtsen winning the 5k in some style just backed up how good Wightman was.

As much as I love hearing the word, I am not convinced by them introducing a repechage round for a lot of the track events for Paris.

As much as I love hearing the word, I am not convinced by them introducing a repechage round for a lot of the track events for Paris.

1. The Olympics is NOT the place to trial such things
2. It's really stupid! You're just going to get people giving up to save themselves for the repechage round.

Yes just for a moment it felt like Keeley was going to get there.

The hurdles races were crazy. It did feel odd though, not helped by having the telly pundits questioning the time. The PV world record going is starting to feel routine, if that is possible for something so visually impressive.

Ingebrigtsen winning the 5k in some style just backed up how good Wightman was.
Yes, I thought the rabbiting on about the clock must be wrong took away from the moment. Sure comment on the surprising times but to dismiss it as faulty timings before anything is ratified felt pretty disrespectful to the competitors.

Thought Keely was gonna sneak through on the inside there, tough race.

I could really hear them holding off bout the commenting that the times were iffy until Michael Johnson came out and said it outright

Just had to google the repechage round thing and what an awful idea.

The repechage sounds terrible but if they're going ahead, surely the place to trial the format is next year in Budapest?

Admittedly not as awful as the one go jump off between the top 3 in the long jump but the qualifier and fastest non qualifiers system works just fine right now. Though as a competitor I guess it works if you’re in one event only and gets you another run out.

the Athletes that are doing 400m up to 1500m are going to be knackered coming to the semi-finals too surely, although I guess thats going to be the initiative to make the semi finals first time around...

I see sad Adam has finally broken up with his coach.

The stadium had a very good crowd for this morning's session, nice to see.

I’ve lost a lot of respect for Adam this year. Staying with Reider (under whom he hasn’t progressed at all, anyway) and the whole nonsense at Worlds. Plus he’s been unspeakably shit.

I’m watching the Commonwealths but I can’t really get into it so close to worlds. It’s a load of old nonsense really!

Yes especially knowing there will be Europeans hot on the heels as well, it just feels a bit much. I've watched most of the athletics today, but very little of anything else.

I love the Europeans (and indeed, will be going to Munich) and Worlds is obviously the most important, so this just seems a bit of an in betweener, for want of a better term!

Shame that Daryll didn't start well and couldn't match her semi PB.

Great for Eilish and good to see KJT looking brighter generally (and positively ecstatic after her javelin).

It still feels like a swansong for KJT but I hope I’m wrong. I think the javelin PB of all things will help with her confidence and joy!

So happy for Eilish. Cried at her podium. She’s been so near for so long. Really hope she can do the double with Munich and such a shame she wasn’t at her best in Eugene as she had an outside chance of medals there.

Ugh- Daryll’s start cost me £100 in lost winnings!

She has a habit of tying up in big races. This isn’t the first time. To go from 10.90 to 11.07 between heat and semi is fairly disastrous. Especially as Elaine was totally beatable.

She seems also to have withdrawn from the 200, which is a shame- would love to see what she can do there. Especially as the start won’t matter so much!

Eilish and the middle distance events aside, the athletics is rather disappointing. The Games feel like a 2nd tier event with some of the bigger names skipping them entirely for the Diamond League, and some of the events having so few athletes taking part.

The heptathlon had 8 athletes taking part and the women's shot put had a qualification round to eliminate only 1 athlete from the pool of 13 down to 12.

Eilish and the middle distance events aside, the athletics is rather disappointing. The Games feel like a 2nd tier event with some of the bigger names skipping them entirely for the Diamond League, and some of the events having so few athletes taking part.

The heptathlon had 8 athletes taking part and the women's shot put had a qualification round to eliminate only 1 athlete from the pool of 13 down to 12.
Not being rude, but did anyone expect any different? The Commonwealths are always, well, let’s put it politely, “patchy at best”. The Jamaicans never show properly for starters .

I’ve actually been pleasantly surprised at how I’m enjoying it so far to be honest. I didn’t really think I would.

I’m away so have been missing the start of the athletics programme. I thought Elaine might be a no show here but good that she took part and brought some name value to the 100. She probably wanted to salvage something for the season. I guess it’s fair enough for the others who won a gold at the worlds to opt for the money trail on the circuit. Merlene used to support the Commonwealths until she became the star player on the circuit too.

Did @Sheena have a good time at the Europeans? I followed most things and enjoyed it. The 4x4 mens' gold was pleasing, and was nice to see the lovely Jaz Sawyers get a medal. The vibes in that post-100 interview between Dina and Daryll though, Imani did not know what to do with herself.

I've put the DL on the telly tonight but not really into it.

Do Dina and Daryl not get along?
I’ve definitely noticed more of “something” this year, not sure if it’s just due to Daryl stepping up a bit more this season and they’re beginning to feel more like genuine rivals. Dina appears to be in a weird place mentally at the moment but I’m sure she’ll rebound.

I enjoyed the Euros but it in a season of the worlds it was a little bit of after the Lord Mayor’s show.

You know, I had a nice time but it was one of the least favourite champs I’d been to- I think there was a bit of fan fatigue after the summer we’ve had and the schedule was fucking awful. Finishing at 11pm, back to the hotel for 12:30 and up at 7 to get back for the next morning session was not easy!

As for Daryll vs Dina, they’re totally friends. Rivalry, but friends. I spent a lot of time talking to Dina’s Mum about this- the whole women’s relay team are all great mates and that’s what is part of what makes them good- albeit not quite so much this season…

As for tonight’s DL, I didn’t even watch. I’ve overdosed- I need a bit of a break to be honest!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom