SIX DEAD in PLYMOUTH SHOOTING

Why is everyone shitting themselves about the dark web? Not everything on the dark web is illegal - it's often used for legal purposes. A lot of users in oppressed systems/societies will used the deep and dark web to communicate without fear of oppression or reprisals etc. I'm pretty sure Facebook even launched a dark web version of their site a few years ago.

I've never used it but from what I understand you'd have to actively seek out weapons, drugs or terrorist chat etc. It's not just freely available.

Well this guy had an actual licence to own a gun anyway, which leads me to wonder how you even get one in the UK. What would a 22 year old non-farmer (and he was likely younger when he first got it) need one for in the first place?

Could I just apply for a gun licence with the police and they’d never even ask what I was going to do with one?

It appears so here and this really isn’t enough: https://www.gov.uk/shotgun-and-firearm-certificates

Why is everyone shitting themselves about the dark web? Not everything on the dark web is illegal - it's often used for legal purposes. A lot of users in oppressed systems/societies will used the deep and dark web to communicate without fear of oppression or reprisals etc. I'm pretty sure Facebook even launched a dark web version of their site a few years ago.

I've never used it but from what I understand you'd have to actively seek out weapons, drugs or terrorist chat etc. It's not just freely available.
I feel like Moopy has become an oppressive society. :(

Having read more about this I go back on what I said earlier, but I like a few others here had never heard of Incel to be honest. What a weird and horrible phenomenon.

Wouldn't it be lovely if the incel thing became the next alt-right phenomenon to spread wings and grow a following? All they'd then need to do is invent a religion/write a book (essentially the same thing) and they could recruit a few thousand people and start a revolution.

Just another step in the Handmaid's Tale direction.

Imagine growing up in a world where you believe it's your right for someone to give you sex. I'm not sure how forcing youself on a woman who wants nothing to do with you is supposed to help with your self esteem, but anyhoo. Just have a fucking wank.

-

Last edited:
Incel culture is yet another thing, like anti-vaccine rhetoric, Climate denial and basically everything horrible, that I really fear has found a breeding ground on social media.

It’s so easy to get sucked into these things and find like-minded people to validate your point of view, no matter how crackpot, misguided or objectively wrong.

It’s scary.

Not everything on the dark web is illegal - it's often used for legal purposes. A lot of users in oppressed systems/societies will used the deep and dark web to communicate without fear of oppression or reprisals etc.

This is entirely true. The sad fact is that anything where that level of privacy is necessary will quickly be colonised by people who simply prefer it because what they're doing is harmful to others.

Well this guy had an actual licence to own a gun anyway, which leads me to wonder how you even get one in the UK. What would a 22 year old non-farmer (and he was likely younger when he first got it) need one for in the first place?

Could I just apply for a gun licence with the police and they’d never even ask what I was going to do with one?

It appears so here and this really isn’t enough: https://www.gov.uk/shotgun-and-firearm-certificates

Legitimate reasons to be granted a firearms licence are for pest control or target shooting activities.

Years ago a friend had one and all he got was a visit once a year from a copper to check he was using his gunsafe and the lockbox in the boot of his car.

How do you solve a problem like that? It’s not like the education system is getting better.

You're talking massive societal change, aren't you? Tackling toxic masculinity is far bigger than schools.

You're talking massive societal change, aren't you? Tackling toxic masculinity is far bigger than schools.

YouTube is probably the real centre of the problem tbh

YouTube is probably the real centre of the problem tbh

The Internet rather than YouTube. If YouTube didn't exist, someone would invent it. The ability of anyone to publish anything to - effectively - the whole world is what allows subcultures to find each other and, therefore, grow in a way that they wouldn't have done in the days of photocopied pamphlets and encoded small ads.

EAT THE STRAIGHTS

(Except the nice Moopy ones, we can sacrifice some of the worse gays to balance the books)

How do you solve a problem like that? It’s not like the education system is getting better.

What makes you say that?! I think PSHE education in the UK anyway is a million times better than it was when we were kids.

Schools didn't talk about sexuality causing internalised repression for decades; there were no strategies for identifying and reducing far right or religious extremism, which are now mandatory and talked openly about since 2011; all students are taught about FGM and to help spot the signs; kids are taught about the dangers of the internet and social media; and I'm sure this will be added to the long list of things that schools ARE educating kids on better than they were educated decades ago,.

What makes you say that?! I think PSHE education in the UK anyway is a million times better than it was when we were kids.

Schools didn't talk about sexuality causing internalised repression for decades; there were no strategies for identifying and reducing far right or religious extremism, which are now mandatory and talked openly about since 2011; all students are taught about FGM and to help spot the signs; kids are taught about the dangers of the internet and social media; and I'm sure this will be added to the long list of things that schools ARE educating kids on better than they were educated decades ago,.

In that case it’s a positive thing. Sadly our schools and education system here, in general, haven’t been doing as well.

In that case it’s a positive thing. Sadly our schools and education system here, in general, haven’t been doing as well.

I mean we always need to look hard at stuff after an incident like this for sure, but to suddenly making a sweeping statement about education when this is the first mass shooting in the UK for 10 years seems a bit much. But yes, I'm sure it could be better globally.

I wasn’t specifically talking about the UK and my comment was about how to make sure people don’t get caught up in harmful subcultures.

I can’t even remember what we did in PSE classes. We only had it in I think years 7-8 and for half an hour a week. It was 93/94 though so obviously there was no Internet talk at all. We certainly didn’t talk about sexuality.

You wouldn't have been ALLOWED to talk about sexuality!

I remember vividly being told by our PSE teacher that gay men were more likely to get AIDS because the penis isn't meant to fit in an anus, so it's more likely to tear and spread the disease. I also remember thinking at the time that that felt really weird and probably inaccurate.

YIKES

I guess I left school just as Section 28 came in. Before that we had nothing. I think I just assumed it would be a passive silence, rather than active hatred.

YIKES

I guess I left school just as Section 28 came in. Before that we had nothing. I think I just assumed it would be a passive silence, rather than active hatred.

Ironically I genuinely didn't take that as hatred at the time. This teacher really was one that people liked. It just felt like she was trying to 'educate' us probably based on incorrect myths that she had read. Misinformation isn't a new thing.

YIKES

I was at school during the time it was repealed and a number of years thereafter. There was no change in terms of what I was taught.

Same sex relations didn’t exist and any notion of gay sex was a figment of the imagination that if mentioned, teachers would screw up their face in disgust and quickly change the subject.

I know one of my old teachers who was head of house left the profession in the 90s (when she would have only been in her forties) because she couldn't cope with not being able to talk to children who went to talk to her about sexuality. Well, I think she was probably encouraged out of it.

It's a good thing I didn't have access to a gun that time Sheena rated me a 2/10 on attractiveness. :(
I’m glad I’m not the only one who remembers that. And I got a 6! STILL TRAUMATISED.

Reactions: VoR
I remember vividly being told by our PSE teacher that gay men were more likely to get AIDS because the penis isn't meant to fit in an anus, so it's more likely to tear and spread the disease. I also remember thinking at the time that that felt really weird and probably inaccurate.
…erm, this seems pretty accurate to me :eyes: What am I missing?

‘Incel’ isn’t even an accurate term. There’s nothing involuntary about being a sweaty, fat, smelly personality void. They’re like that by choice and have the fucking audacity to blame women for the fact they’re fundamentally repellant.

Of course I wasn't out at school (far too naive to really think about what made my cock hard), but it would be interesting to know the take of one of my old classmates who very much was out and used to experience horrific bullying, in terms of response from teachers.

Section 28 came in a year before I left school, and I don't remember any difference. I don't remember any kind of PHSE (had to Google that) at all. Like I say though, I was so immature in that respect I may well have just been oblivious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom