Sophie Ellis-Bextor & The Feeling - While You're Still Young

FetchFugly

Pregnant
From the film soundtrack for Everybody's Talking About Jamie (also featuring Chaka Khan, Holly Johnson, Becky Hill and Todrick Hall - a mixed bag):

An unexpected little disco treat.

Speaking of young Sophie, I finally found some of the old Jo Whiley Show episodes (well 2) uploaded onto youtube recently and lovely SEB is there, explaining why her band declined the offer to support Robbie Williams and disappointingly disagreeing with the lovely Neil Hannon declaring Barbie Girl to be rather amazing. Dave Gahan is not in the studio, but says nothing important about The Clash. For some reason I always thought Joe Strummer was, well, a bummer. Turns out no. Was really hoping for the legendary Mary JB and H episode, or Sinead Oconnor biting her toe nails, but Miss Bexter has always been a good egg. Not heard the new disco yet.

The book is rather good for the most part I think. It very much reads in Sophie's voice. She smartly skips through childhood (and the bit included is more interesting than most thanks to her mum being Janet Ellis). I had no idea how she came to be in theaudience, and I found her thoughts on the Strictly 'cult' amusing.

The shorter final chapters kind of switch from more standard autobiography to SEB's random thoughts on life and are not as good generally.

Is there much behind the scenes stuff on the albums, or is it largely mum-focused?

Somebody needs to sort out the This Is Sophie EB playlist on Spotify :evil: I was queening out yesterday at the gym to her bops until she started to tell a story about an angry dragon from her children's audiobook :oi::oi:

Last edited:
Is there much behind the scenes stuff on the albums, or is it largely mum-focused?

There's a fair amount on the first album, rather less so on the others. She does say that she wraps up birth stories for spawn three to five in one go as she doesn't want it to be boring, but it would be wrong to say there isn't a lot of mum stuff :D

The book is rather good for the most part I think. It very much reads in Sophie's voice. She smartly skips through childhood (and the bit included is more interesting than most thanks to her mum being Janet Ellis). I had no idea how she came to be in theaudience, and I found her thoughts on the Strictly 'cult' amusing.

The shorter final chapters kind of switch from more standard autobiography to SEB's random thoughts on life and are not as good generally.
I bought it last week with a Waterstones birthday voucher but haven’t started it yet. I’m hoping for more music than mum stuff but I guess her podcast Spinning Plates has a different audience so both will be covered. I did listen to her mum chat with Dannii Minogue though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom