Spencer (Kristen Stewart as Princess Diana)

Queen of hearts or car crash?

• Total voters
PRC_95092283.jpg

the accuracy!

I mean it's not even the same TYPE OF TREE FFS. they made the lovely chunky tree a size zero and they made Camilla's tits very much not.

I was thinking more of this

I mean it's not even the same TYPE OF TREE FFS. they made the lovely chunky tree a size zero and they made Camilla's tits very much not.

Omg is this an optical illusion, and the tits are the same size, but the tree changed? :o

I loved this - Kristen’s performance is astonishingly good but it is a strong film in its own right. It is really a horror and brought a few echoes of The Shining - the long shots through the set, the minimal dialogue and the sense of a descent into something (despair in this instance, rather than madness).

I can’t agree with the comments about the lack of accuracy - it’s not a biopic (and anybody looking for one is going to be disappointed) and nor does it claim to even be a true account of events, so the lack of faithfulness to the outfits of Christmas 1991 or whether the UK did or did not have drive-through takeaway at that point in time seems unimportant. The Naomi Watts film reached for physical and historical accuracy and didn’t end up even vaguely achieving either.

That being said it isn’t flawless - William and Harry do require a degree of suspension of disbelief and there was the odd unfortunate continuity error - the ever changing registration number plate on the Porsche for a start!

I mean obviously accuracy for that stuff doesn’t really matter, but it doesn’t change the fact that it was excruciating to watch and I came out disliking Diana “the character”. I can’t help thinking just make a film with completely fictional characters instead.

Loved this. I very rarely take notice of music in film but it really did its job here and added to the impending doom and HORROR :disco:

This was fantastic! Stewart's been impressive for years, but this is her finest hour. The story is just as much about her relationship with fame and scrutiny as Diana's and I can't imagine anyone else playing her in this and it working as well. The Boleyn stuff and Mills & Boon doomed crush scene were eye openers but really added to the surreal atmosphere. And it's so foreboding and sinister. Even the jolly ending is totally undermined by how we all know how things actually turn out. And the soundtrack is gloriously strange and threatening, just to add to the general sense of stifling horror.

I'd agree with @Kratz that the William and Harry stuff was a weaker link, but felt it was redeemed by her actions at the end which finally cemented the relationships for me.

Not one for the Royalists in the audience of course :D

So, I enjoyed this. Very much not what I was expecting, but I think I enjoyed it more than I would have enjoyed an our Diopic.

Stewart did a great job, I think, of playing a woman on the edge. Did she do a great job of Diana? Probably less so, but then good acting doesn't always require a good impersonation.

Paul Burrell FUMING at being replaced by a lesbian subplot.

So, I enjoyed this. Very much not what I was expecting, but I think I enjoyed it more than I would have enjoyed an our Diopic.

Stewart did a great job, I think, of playing a woman on the edge. Did she do a great job of Diana? Probably less so, but then good acting doesn't always require a good impersonation.

Paul Burrell FUMING at being replaced by a lesbian subplot.
And you didn’t see her backing her car up to the Kensington Palace loading bay!

it took me so long to see this. I watched it over two or three sittings last week.

I think I can't land on a score but on balance I enjoyed it quite a lot. once you get past Kristen's Diana being a loose interpretation rather than anything like the real woman (which applies to every other character too, not that any of them are relevant), it starts to become quite gripping. I really liked that it was both completely absurd and played with absolute dead sincerity. I think with a biopic, fully embracing not being historically accurate or even truthful can be quite freeing. I wouldn't even call this a biopic, more a dark fairytale. and yes, killer soundtrack.

do I need to watch Jackie?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom