Star Trek: Discovery

Lockhart

Valar Morghulis
Streaming… the final frontier. Ever since Alex Kurtzman and Bob Orci, key players on the Star Trek feature franchise, moved to CBS TV Studios, there had been talk about them resurrecting the studio’s marquee title. Now the long-rumored new Star Trek TV series has become a reality as the first original series on CBS’ digital platform CBS All Access. Shepherded by Kurtzman, who will serve as executive producer, the series will premiere in January 2017 with a preview broadcast on CBS followed by an exclusive run in the U.S. on CBS All Access.

Unlike the feature franchise, which featured the classic Star Trek characters, the new series installment will introduce new characters “seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966”, according to CBS. Kurtzman had quietly been meeting with potential writers for the past few months. CBS Television Studios is the studio. The series will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International.

“There is no better time to give Star Trek fans a new series than on the heels of the original show’s 50th anniversary celebration,” said David Stapf, President, CBS Television Studios.“Everyone here has great respect for this storied franchise, and we’re excited to launch its next television chapter in the creative mind and skilled hands of Alex Kurtzman, someone who knows this world and its audience intimately.”

Kurtzman and Orci have gone their separate ways in features. On the TV side, their company, CBS TV Studios-based Kurtzman/Orci Paper Products, is still intact though Kurtzman is expected to work solo on the Star Trek series as one of the projects under a separate deal with the studio.

CBS Corp. had been high on rebooting Star Trek with a new series installment, which had been a goal for the company. The move is clearly designed to boost the company’s upstart streaming platform, CBS All Access. Sony Pictures TV similarly helped usher original programming to sibling Playstation digital platform with the Powers drama series.

I mean there's a fair chance it will be SHIT, but MASSIVE FUCKING YAY all the same.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xXpPweAooeE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah, I think an anthology would be a good move, especially if they stick with the prime universe which I'd imagine is the more likely of the two. It means they can timeshift and fill in the gaps between STVI and TNG, which would be ripe for storytelling but then also maybe link up the future Spock prime events that lead to the events in Star Trek too.

I'm basically just really excited for this. The potential is massive, which no doubt means that the actuality will be even more disappointing but for now I'm not entertaining that idea.

If there was a season set after Voyager with appearances from some of the DS9/TNG gang I would FUCKING DIE!

Last edited:
I feel like this is probably more likely to be pre-TNG, for the first season anyway (assuming there is more than one). It feels like narratively the 24th century is a bit more played out, even if my personal choice would also be a post Nemesis/VOY show, late 2370's so there's been 5 years or so of difference (making it easy to lose Picard and thr other big names without it being weird).

So this will be released on Netflix worldwide (apart from the US and Canada) the day after transmission. :disco:

It's starting in January, so we should hear some casting news soon!

Officially titled STAR TREK: DISCOVERY, and here's a teaser trailer -

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bqm9HSYbf0o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

All very exciting. I particularly like how they've said each season will be like a novel, told chapter by chapter.

The ship looks old and shit but I'm hoping each season is set at a different time... :bruised:

I don't think it's been stated outright yet, but the ship's registration number is lower than the Enterprise so I think it's pre-TOS (so could possibly be set before the universes split).

What an ugly ship.

It's disappointing they've set it pre-TOS. I hope I won't need to endure the rest of Enterprise to understand the politics.

I don't like the triangular bottom section, it feels like it should either be more sleek or not there at all (there's actually a ship design in the new film that would've worked quite well for this series).

It's an exceptionally ugly ship, the Phase Two designs were rightfully left on the drawing board way back when. Still it being prime universe is more than enough to make up for that.

News

* As we reported, the show’s lead character will be female. Fuller elaborated that she will be human but not a captain. She is a “Lieutenant Commander — with caveats.”
* On the main story driving the 13-episode first season: “There’s an incident, an event in Star Trek history in the history of Starfleet that had been talked about but never fully explored. [We’re telling] that story through a character who is on a journey that is going to teach her how to get along with others in the galaxy.”
* Fuller confirmed that the aforementioned series-opening event is not nor Kobayashi Maru, the Romulan War and it won’t involve Black Ops Section 31 (aka Starfleet’s black-ops arm). Fuller later spilled that said event was referenced during the original series and diehard fans “should be very happy. It’s something *I* want to see.”
* “We’ll probably have a few more aliens than you normally do in a Star Trek cast,” Fuller revealed. “We’re going to have new exciting aliens and also re-imaginings of existing aliens.” (One of the original aliens is named Saru.)
* Fuller said the new series will be set in the prime universe — aka the universe of the TV series, not the one of the J.J. Abrams movies — and will “bridge the gap between Enterprise and the original series,” which puts it “about 10 years before Kirk” and his five-year mission.
* “There will be robots.”
* “We’re absolutely having a gay character,” Fuller said, recalling how, during his time on the Deep Space Nine writing staff, fans sent hate mail protesting a rumor that Jeri Ryan’s character Seven of Nine was going to be gay. He added that he kept a file folder of the vitriolic mail in his garage, solely to remind him of the importance of including gay characters if he ever got his own Trek series.
* Fuller strongly hinted that Amanda Grayson (aka Spock’s mother) would figure into the series. “I love that character. I loved Winona Ryder’s portrayal of her [in the 2009 movie] and it’s a great character. It would be fun in some iteration of this show to incorporate her and her storyline she’s not a central part of the show but we love that character.”
* Fuller made light of the series’ acronym — STD — and said that sex and profanity likely will have a place on the show. “There will probably be slightly more graphic content,” Fuller said. “We discuss every day about language… Is it appropriate to have a bridge blow up and have somebody say, ‘Oh, s—t?'”
* The series’ opening scene is “not set on Earth, and not on a planet,” Fuller divulged.
* The show will feature “about seven” lead characters. Fuller, meanwhile, agreed “wholeheartedly” that Pushing Daisies‘ Lee Pace would be a nice add.

http://tvline.com/2016/08/10/star-trek-discovery-amanda-grayson-spoilers-cast/

I'm so frustrated by the fact that the last THREE iterations have been in the 'past' :manson:

The first few points made me think it was going to be post-Khitomer which would have been terribly exciting. As I have little time for TOS I'm less excited for more stuff filling in the blanks between that and Enterprise, but still I can't be totally down on NEW TREK if it's Prime universe.

That's been taken down, have this:

I am enormously disappointed by it, at least visually. I wasn't expecting it to be like classic Trek/TOS, but it's almost identical to the blandness of the JJverse. And the casio keyboard version of the fanfare at the end better be the first and last time we ever hear THAT.

I've seen positive reactions on twitter.

I watched the Netflix trailer I wasn't taken by it at all. Will give it a go, but meeeh.

I like the overall story, and I'm looking forward to where it goes, but the script is atrocious. I swear, every single minute there's something grating.

I thankfully don't have the time, but I feel I could list about 100 things wrong with those episodes.

This is getting more and more dreadful. Displacement-activated spore hub drive :manson:

I wish the series a quick death.

I'm really enjoying it :D They ejected the best character out of the airlock last episode though, I might have shed a small tear.

The most recent episode was the first that felt particularly Star Trekky to me, but on the whole it’s still coming across as rather dour and boring.

Update - this has been brilliant since it returned from the mid-season break. The slow(ish) start turned out to be a fantastic build-up to a pretty big change in setting/format, and it's managed to pull off some major twists and turns that make me wonder where the hell they're planning on taking things.

Update - this has been brilliant since it returned from the mid-season break. The slow(ish) start turned out to be a fantastic build-up to a pretty big change in setting/format, and it's managed to pull off some major twists and turns that make me wonder where the hell they're planning on taking things.

Indeed, the last couple of episodes have been excellent (in no small part because of a lack of Klingon's) and the twists have been quite surprising. It's going in a much more interesting direction than before, or at least it seems to be. It could all still end up being as much of a mess as the first handful of episodes.

Another great episode this week! I love how it feels like anything could happen, though I'm dreading some big time travel twist coming along to undo the whole series so far :shock:

It's a shame to lose Lorca, but with the way he 'died' I'm half expecting him to show up inside the mycelial network at some point. Will Saru be permanent captain going forward now? I'm not sure how I feel about more Klingons next week, hopefully they're kept to a minimum.

Season 2 started on Friday.

I have to say I LOVED the first episode. It feels like they've fixed the kinks of the first season and I'm glad to have moved on from the Klingon war. I like the new Captain and the special effects were worthy of a movie.

I'm hoping they spend more time on the characterisation of the rest of the crew who we didn't really get to know in season 1.

The rest of the series might be shit but I'm hopeful after the first episode

I must admit I was underwhelmed. The cinematics were clearly special, but strip it back and it was a little rushed and disjointed.

We're going over there. Why? Saw some flashy lights. Right then.

:D

But it was a SPACE ANOMALY Indie!

The story WAS thin on the ground, no doubt. But I really enjoyed it despite this (or maybe partly because of this!).

Ta for changing the thread title

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom