Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

I've started catching up, the courtroom episode was fab - I know they're a bit of a Star Trek cliché at this point but I felt this was a good stab at it, and I do hope this means Rebecca Romijn will feature a bit more heavily going forward as I do really love her.

I was absolutely agog and aghast and cringing for Carol Kane's first scene in episode one, but she actually mostly won me over by the end! I suppose I wasn't expecting her to do THAT voice in this for some reason :D

• Wow
Reactions: dUb
The Lower Decks crossover episode is an absolute DELIGHT!

Thanks wholly to the guest stars - especially QoL Mariner. The jaw contour line, and everything she said really :D:D:disco:

Last edited:
Oh and ep 9 is a musical episode

This looks incredible :D It feels like there was a spate of TV shows doing musical episodes in the wake of the Buffy one, but it's funny that Star Trek has never had one before.

(Have just realised that the reason for this is because Star Trek as an ongoing television concern was entirely DEAD during the brief musical episodes craze :D)

Episode three was fantastic, though LOL at them just happening to time travel to near-future Toronto AKA where they produce the show :tongueout: I wonder how many times they'll bring in alternate versions of Kirk before they bite the bullet and have the real one aboard the Enterprise?

I also appreciated that they provided a bit of clarity on the ongoing Khan issue by making it into a bit of a Terminator judgement day situation that shifts around depending on various temporal gubbins... it's a bit of a fudge, but I can see why they would want to keep the present day relatively close to our own rather than there having been a global war in the 1990s. I assume that this sort of dovetails with season two of Picard, with Adam Soong working on creating Khan in 2024 (so presumably this episode was set in about 2030?). The other way of dealing with this would of course be to stop trying to do things with Khan at all, or just focus on it through La'an because I do really enjoy her character after I was initially a bit skeptical.

I also enjoyed Kirk initially mistaking Toronto for New York, and then him knowing nothing at all about Canada (having originally been rather famously played by a Canadian of course :D)

OMG they should shoehorn Kirk into the musical episode, but have him 'sing' in the style of Shatner's own music career :D

I read that Anson Mount was on paternity leave for the start of filming this season, but I must say they've managed to get around it pretty well so far as I've not missed Pike much at all (I'm guessing everything with him so far was filmed later and edited in, or they filmed the episodes out of order).

The human Spock episode was a HOOT, they're great at these lighter episodes (the engagement ritual basically being a sitcom premise let's be honest :D), so I have high hopes for the Lower Decks episode to be similarly fun.

• Love
It’s on a relatively low IMDb rating (second lowest to date 🥴) but I thought the musical episode was FAB! Great fun and some very well-written songs. Up there with the Lower Decks episode as a series favourite for me.

LOVED the Lower Decks crossover, they were both so perfect in live action :D There was one shot where Boimler walked away quickly and did the most insane wiggly powerwalk, I don't know how to explain it but it cracked me up - also Mariner portraying Pike in the wheelchair through the medium of MIME :basil:

OMG at them following it up with possibly the darkest Star Trek episode EVER :D The whole thing felt very DS9, and those battlefield flashbacks were properly grisly viewing. I love how this show can make big tonal shifts like this, and it doesn't feel inconsistent or shoehorned.

Loved the finale, but...
a cliffhanger?! :shock: Extra annoying since the next season presumably won't be out for AGES yet.

I did enjoy that for the first time in Star Trek history they finally cast a Scottish actor as Scotty :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom