Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi (a Disney+ limited series)

COB

The ⭐ 👹
This probably won't be out for a GOOD WHILE, but it's about to start production so here's a press release and cast announcement:
Obi-Wan Kenobi, the new Disney+ special event series starring Ewan McGregor as the iconic Jedi Master, will begin shooting in April.

The story begins 10 years after the dramatic events of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith where Kenobi faced his greatest defeat, the downfall and corruption of his best friend and Jedi apprentice, Anakin Skywalker turned evil Sith Lord Darth Vader.

Obi-Wan Kenobi is directed by Deborah Chow, director of two critically acclaimed episodes of The Mandalorian Season 1.

The series also marks the return of Hayden Christensen in the role of Darth Vader.

Nice to see the same actors from the prequels playing Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru, even if it's going to make their sudden VERY ROUGH AGEING in the original film look even more jarring :D

I hope we get lots of scenes of Anakin grimacing at SAND.

I don't really understand how Hayden Christensen is going to be IN this as much as they seem to be making out, unless there are lots of flashbacks - once Darth Vader is in his suit (ie ten years before this is set) he doesn't play either the body OR voice of the character :D Though I suppose they could start having him do the voice and digitally alter it, James Earl Jones is 90 so they could be thinking of replacing him.

Trailer released today for May the 4th lol etc:

I for one think it all looks jolly exciting!

Ooh Coruscant :disco: My commitment to watching any of these Star Wars spin offs is low after wasting hours of my life with Solo, but I do like Ewan McGregor so MAYBE.

Love that the music for the series is being composed by THIS lady :D

So this is the first of the D+ SW series that I’m watching. I thought episode 1 was mostly boring, the inquisitors and their design was the most interesting part.

Everything with Obi Wan was so dull, I get that they’re building up but it doesn’t have to be a chore.

I just watched the first two episodes, I really enjoyed them both! It did start a bit slow, but I think it got going a lot quicker than I expected (I was actually expecting the first few episodes to be set on Tatooine, thank god they're not after the last couple of series :tongueout:). I guess they're sort of going for the Mandalorian template by pairing him up with a kid, and so far it's working quite well! I loved seeing more of Alderaan, and fair play to Jimmy Smits - he's managed to get quite the mini-career out of playing that character, and keeps on popping up in things :D Inquisitor lady is acceptable as an interim villain, but I'm fully expecting her to be sidelined following that shot at the end of the second episode :disco:

Oh and LOL at the 'previously' montage at the start being a recap of the entire prequel trilogy!

I needed that because those movies never stuck with me.

Baby Leah grew on me in episode 3. I did find the action a bit lackluster, it’s this thing with tv shows these days where they need to have a certain outcome (Obi Wan gets away) but the execution is just janky.

Third Sister is a queen and she should kill them all.

Reactions: COB
A good episode overall, though surely Obi-Wan won't be able to do much in the rest of the series unless there's a slight time jump - or his cloak was lined with asbestos :tongueout: I really liked the idea of Vader being fixated on the fire, and trying to inflict the same pain he'd received.

I also saw that Moses Ingram has been getting a lot of hate comments, though at least it seems there's a strong pushback this time:

The fact they have to do this at all is just mindboggling.

Young Leia is ruining this for me. Horrid little actor and they’ve made her so unlikable as well.

I've been thinking she's really quite good :D I do think they need to have Obi-Wan start interacting with more adults soon though.

I thought she was quite good this episode. Taking the lead and talking about her parentage.

I also saw that Moses Ingram has been getting a lot of hate comments, though at least it seems there's a strong pushback this time:

The fact they have to do this at all is just mindboggling.

And it’s always women and POC’s who they bully. She’s literally the most interesting part of the show.

Reactions: COB
I've been thinking she's really quite good :D I do think they need to have Obi-Wan start interacting with more adults soon though.
She’s so flat! I understand it’s difficult to find good child actors but still.

Is it just me or is this getting worse? This episode was just done so stupidly (there’s a part where he hides from the stormtroopers and they’re literally 10 feet away looking at him).

Yeah I’m finding this to be pretty terrible and filled with lazy recycled plots. Everyone in this episode acted like a complete idiot at pretty much every turn.

Also, when did Ewan McGregor forget how to act?

I thought the latest episode was an improvement. Maybe because the end is close but also the Tala scene worked and so did Reva’s.

Some decent action with still wonky overall execution. The scale of Vader to that ship that he stops, there were supposed to be like 50 people on it :D

Also had they kept this as a long-ish movie with minimal baby Leah it would have been much better.

I've just watched the first episode, and MY WORD, it's all over the shop!

- Ewan is terrible of course
- The Inquisitors look amazing but apparently none of them can ACT
- Little Leia is HORRIFIC. Someone please stab her with a lightsaber.
- The FX are ropey as fuck. Whoever animated that camel thing kneeling down (THREE TIMES!) clearly GAVE UP.
- Alderaan looked amazing! I like Leia's step mother too.

I'll watch the next one tonight.

This is nothing at all against the actress who is very good, but the writing of Third Sister's character arc is an absolute mess.

This is nothing at all against the actress who is very good, but the writing of Third Sister's character arc is an absolute mess.
Even in the first episode, she lurches all over the place. Too bad she doesn't get better, I really want her to become the main villain!

For all this show's faults, it is at least better than 'The Book Of Boba Fett'.

For all this show's faults, it is at least better than 'The Book Of Boba Fett'.
Maybe I'll give that a miss then.

I've got a month of this Disney+ subscription and I think I'll fry my brain if I watch too much TAT.

Right now, I've only got Obi-Wan, Eternals and Working Girl on my list :D

I’d definitely rate The Book Of Boba Fett above this, but neither come anywhere close to The Mandolorian.

Last edited:
Do you mean the three episodes of Boba Fett that were actually about Boba Fett, before it just became series 2.5 of the Mandolorian anyway?

Ive only been watching this hungover so I’ve not really been critiquing it thoroughly but Ewan McGregor really is shit. His whinny droning accent is so fucking annoying.

Reactions: dUb
Episode 2 on the go now. Did no one realise how awful Kumail Nanjiani was in Eternals? He's even WORSE in this :zombie:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom