Sufjan Stevens - "The Ascension"

The king of pop will return in September with what is touted as a 'pop' album. Alt-gays the world over rejoice.

New single 'America' coming tomorrow.

Clear vinyl already sold out on pre-orders :(

Here's a picture of him looking lovely though.

Sufjan-Stevens%252520(1).jpg

Tracklist:

01 Make Me An Offer I Cannot Refuse
02 Run Away With Me (Suedey note: OMG could it be...?!)
03 Video Game
04 Lamentations
05 Tell Me You Love Me
06 Die Happy
07 Ativan
08 Ursa Major
09 Landslide
10 Gilgamesh
11 Death Star
12 Goodbye To All That
13 Sugar
14 The Ascension
15 America

I pre-ordered my vinyl on Rough Trade so I can cancel it before release if this ends up being shit* :D I think you can still get it at Banquet Records.

I'm very excited/intrigued to hear America on Friday. As you mention, apparently this is his big pop album which I'm not sure how I feel about until I've heard something :D

Carrie and Lowell is one of my faves from the past 10 years now. Fourth of July is just DEVASTATING. I really loved the random tidbit selection on The Greatest Gift too.

*I'm sure it won't be.

OMG it's GREAT! :disco:

Very brooding, melancholy and mysterious for the first 6 minutes then it seems to pull itself out of it's k-hole and WAKES UP A BIT towards the end, before slinking back into the ether :disco:

SO HAPPY it's not some sort of Sufjan-does-Ariana NIGHTMARE!

I think that new song is very underwhelming and 9 (!) minutes too long.

This is my favourite song of his, it's so beautiful.

All of my powers, day after day
I can tell you, we swaggered and swayed
Deep in the tower, the prairies below
I can tell you, the telling gets old
Terrible sting and terrible storm
I can tell you the day we were born
My friend is gone, he ran away
I can tell you, I love him each day

Last edited:
New track, with a video that I absolutely HATE :D

It’s good...but not really what I want from Sufjan PERSONALLY. I can’t see me revisiting it much as a song. Curious about this album, I don’t think it’s going to deliver the quiet devastation of some of his previous work :D

It’s good...but not really what I want from Sufjan PERSONALLY. I can’t see me revisiting it much as a song. Curious about this album, I don’t think it’s going to deliver the quiet devastation of some of his previous work :D
I love Video Game! I actually love all three songs we’ve heard so far. QUEEN!

i don't even know what to say about video game. so there.

i mean it's ok.

but there's some real clunkage in the lyrics...

Whew, on first listen I'm actually LOVING this album.
It's an electronic laptop album! Sufjan does Postal Service! I'm really here for it - most of the songs are pretty drawn out and minimal, which I'm 100% fine with.

Can't wait to see what I think by my 10th listen. The reviews have been quite marmite. Some people seem to want him to endlessly recreate the likes of Illinois, despite that album being about TWENTY YEARS OLD now!

It's an electronic laptop album! Sufjan does Postal Service! I'm really here for it - most of the songs are pretty drawn out and minimal, which I'm 100% fine with.

Can't wait to see what I think by my 10th listen. The reviews have been quite marmite. Some people seem to want him to endlessly recreate the likes of Illinois, despite that album being about TWENTY YEARS OLD now!

For me, it’s not that I want him to make another Illonois all the time, but I just don’t think he’s come close to the quality of those early albums since. But I realise many would disagree!

Carrie and Lowell absolutely beats ALL for me in regards to Sufjan. Heartbreaking, beautiful and unusually concise. I think it's his masterwork personally.
(and if you DO want to make it into a rambling epic album like a lot of his other stuff - he released PLENTY of extra material to support it :D )

Fourth Of July will probably be forever my Sufjan number 1 :disco: // :(

Ooh didn’t realise the album was out. Love “Video Game”

Yes I definitely heard echoes of Postal Service but also hints of the queen of pop and by that of course I mean Arca.

For me, it’s not that I want him to make another Illonois all the time, but I just don’t think he’s come close to the quality of those early albums since. But I realise many would disagree!
Carrie and Lowell is his masterpiece for me.

Fourth of July from his last album is one of the most emotionally devastating songs I've ever heard.

This is very nice, and I'm definitely here for moody electro Sufjan.

Jesus Christ why did I listen to this

I just stumbled upon this thread as it looked QUITE INTERESTING as I’ve never heard of him before and have given the album a whirl. It’s QUITE GOOD isn’t it? CHANGING MY AVATAR AS WE SPEAK.

Album rate coming soon x

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom