Suggest a FLOP album for a Sync Listen

I feel like this project will die very quickly if we're just slogging through a bunch of albums that actually deserved to fail.
That's kind of the whole point and I will go down with the ship if needs be

From that list I'd say Heartbreak on Hold, but I really do hope we get around to THE DIGNITY OF HILARY DUFF at some point.

I co-sign this. An album considerably better than a Hillary Duff album had any business being.

The Paris album is a pearl necklace of pop finery. The insincerity of it all is a thing of obnoxious beauty. The Jason Nevins remix of Nothing in this World alone requires an ice bucket challenge just to get on with things afterward it's that good.

I feel like this project will die very quickly if we're just slogging through a bunch of albums that actually deserved to fail.

As the person that brought sync listens to Moopy, I just want to say that VoR is a dour contrarian and I thoroughly approve of the strategy/approach taken. When else would you sit down and listen to these albums again? Was that not a major point of the whole thing?

Is @VoR suggesting that Catfights and Spotlights deserved to flop :eyes:

God, reading that back it is super high-handed. Who needs my fucking approval?

I would like to add Mandy Moore's I Wanna Be With You album into the mix please, with its hots #52 UK chart position. It's a very nice early 2000s pop album, and she's recently had a bit of a resurgence (I stress 'bit') with This Is Us and the album earlier this year

I was just going to suggest going through the pop princess class of '99. Kind of like Carson Daly's bucket list, but the gay version.

I would like to add Mandy Moore's I Wanna Be With You album into the mix please, with its hots #52 UK chart position. It's a very nice early 2000s pop album, and she's recently had a bit of a resurgence (I stress 'bit') with This Is Us and the album earlier this year
Surely the only Mandy album to CHART in the UK is pushing it a bit. Her self-titled 2001 album is certainly an option :disco: @VoR

It's @dUb's game and he can run it any way he likes, I was just assuming this was a thread for fun or iconic flops, a category the two we've done so far definitely fall into. I'm not sure I'm personally here for putting myself through albums that are weighed down by boring filler, but I'll dip in and out as my interest in the material dictates.

If we're doing Mandy I'd definitely stump for the self titled album, although I do quite like I Wanna Be With You in places.

I listened to So Real the other day (her debut album proper) and it is actually horrifying. :D

I'm going to suggest Edyta Górniak's Absolute collab album Invisible, which proved to be accurate to the charts. Absolute worked with the Spice Girls, but this is 2003 so perhaps dial back those expectations and strap yourself in.

Mandy’s self titled one is actually better than one would care to admit.

Reactions: VoR
If we’re adding pop princesses to the mix then Jessica Simpson’s A Public Affair please x

A double bill with Ashlee Simpson's Bittersweet World please.

I still remember buying I Wanna Be With You from WHSmith on the week of release. What a rush. :D

It was partly because So Real had been out for ages in the US I think, so it felt like a long wait to get hold of an album from her. I'd heard the clips from So Real but that was it

Honestly, if this is a project for celebrating utter crap, maybe we should do So Real. :D

Obviously Candy remains a gem, but I was agog at how brazenly peado-baiting of an album it is, even by the standards of Britney pop.

'Not Too Young' in particular is a CHOICE...

What about Lutricia McNeal’s second album Whatcha Been Doing? Despite a fairly successful first album and a bunch of top 1 hits, no singles nor the album were released in the UK from this campaign.

Or maybe Wendy Moten’s self titled 1992 opus which is far better than it actually ever should be...

HEY FLOP FANS!

I’m not able to facilitate another album play this Wednesday due to personal circumstances :moira: so does anyone else want to get one going? FEEL FREE*! If not we can just have a break

*dont do Seeing Double though

I would like to host it and do Roisin Murphy's Overpowered if anyone is INTERESTED

oh, but it WAS, hun, it WAS :D

also happy for it to be a main one though. I just want to do it, and soon!

I'm sure it didn't sell well, but it was well reviewed and wasn't any sort of laughing stock or career ender. It just feels to me a bit against the spirit of these flop listens, at least based on what's been done so far :tongueout:

I thought the only criteria was that IT FLOPPED!

Hence FLOP ALBUM!

However it turns out I did NOT read @dUb's first post, so JE SUIS DÉSOLÉ!

laughing stock/career ender is definitely what I had in mind for this series

from the first post
Not REALLY thinking of classic/great albums that could go into the main Sync thread. Aim lower :D
but do what you will :enya:

I'm mainly just feeling salty about Roisin being subjected to the INDIGNITY of being lumped in with LSL :basil: We should definitely do Overpowered as a sync listen though - my preference would be as a main event one (then Hairless Toys as a Sunday Sync), but to be honest I'll take anything :tongueout:

If the interest is there and it looks like it’ll be a while before a slot is available in the main listens, you have my blessing :greta:

If Róisín is sorted elsewhere, that’d be a good fit

Last edited:
tuns out i am available after all lol see you next week

Do we have a rota?

And can we do a sync double bill with spice vision? So much to choose from

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom