Superfluous new cities

OMG MEANINGLESS CITY TWINS!

I am shocked Colchester wasn’t one already, isn’t it the earliest or longest continually inhabited place in the UK or is that somewhere else?

MK hasn’t been around very long at all but we were given a bit of a complex by people constantly telling us we weren’t a city. People are weird

I am shocked Colchester wasn’t one already, isn’t it the earliest or longest continually inhabited place in the UK or is that somewhere else?

MK hasn’t been around very long at all but we were given a bit of a complex by people constantly telling us we weren’t a city. People are weird
We claimed 'oldest town' but your definition is more accurate. It was a Roman capital so we can easily swap town for city in terms of historical status.

So far I've seen local historians and politicians claiming it and the normal gammons moaning about pot holes and nail bars.

I’m surprised it’s not more redwall-tastic:

Bangor (NI) (pop 61,000)
Colchester (pop 122,000)
Doncaster (population 110,000)
Douglas (pop 27,000)
Dunfermline (pop 56,000)
Milton Keynes (pop 223,000)
Stanley (Falklands) (pop 2,100)
Wrexham (pop 42,500)

I’m surprised it’s not more redwall-tastic:

Bangor (NI) (pop 61,000)
Colchester (pop 122,000)
Doncaster (population 110,000)
Douglas (pop 27,000)
Dunfermline (pop 56,000)
Milton Keynes (pop 223,000)
Stanley (Falklands) (pop 2,100)
Wrexham (pop 42,500)

Yeah that seems rather pointedly all corners of the UK, (And the falklands) (and MK because they wouldn’t shut the fuck up)

These two will be thrilled about the Douglas news:
hqdefault (4).jpg

Can't believe Port Stanley - home to three Brits and a penguin - gets to be a city, and poor Rochester still languishes as part of the *gag* Medway towns. Sad!

How do you get a “Royal” like … Royal Tunbridge Wells(?)

The royals have to LOVE visiting.

The prefix "Royal" dates to 1909, when King Edward VII granted the town its official "Royal" title to celebrate its popularity over the years among members of the royal family. Royal Tunbridge Wells is one of only three towns in England to have been granted this (the others being Royal Leamington Spa and Royal Wootton Bassett).

Victoria used to come here as a child but it was jam packed with them even before that. It used to be called Queen's Wells until they nicked the name of neighbouring Tonbridge (then Tunbridge).

Having the names of both towns pronounced the same way despite the different spelling, and being only two stops apart on the train, causes no END of fun when people get off at the wrong station.

Last edited:
Could I just move to the Falklands if I wanted to? Or are there any hoops to jump through?

How is Colchester not already a city?
I don't know how others see the town. To me it just feels like a BIG TOWN. Although there are quite a few features that probably lend itself to city status. Barracks, University, Zoo, the history and CURRENT MUSEUM OF THE YEAR.

They've been trying for years. I presumed it would never happen, with the likes of Reading, Milton Keynes, Croydon and Northampton in the running.

I'm quite pleased and amused about it. Especially as stinking old Ipswich remains a mere town.

I don't know how others see the town. To me it just feels like a BIG TOWN. Although there are quite a few features that probably lend itself to city status. Barracks, University, Zoo, the history and CURRENT MUSEUM OF THE YEAR.

They've been trying for years. I presumed it would never happen, with the likes of Reading, Milton Keynes, Croydon and Northampton in the running.

I'm quite pleased and amused about it. Especially as stinking old Ipswich remains a mere town.

Yeah that’s sort of how I feel about it - we didn’t need it but now it’s happened I feel SEEN.

If fucking Northampton had got there first I’d have been STEAMING! What a PIT!

Yeah that’s sort of how I feel about it - we didn’t need it but now it’s happened I feel SEEN.

If fucking Northampton had got there first I’d have been STEAMING! What a PIT!
It's by far the highest population town IIRC, but I know an ever growing Colchester and Reading were both up there.

I know virtually nothing about Northampton. I feel like they make shoes.

I've only been to MK once. I liked it!

I always feel like England has too many cities, but I'm sure it's just because Scotland has so few (though we now have an eighth thanks to the recent news :o)

Essex NOW HAS THREE! A decade ago there were NONE. To be fair 2 million people live here.

The City of London is technically one of the smallest cities also, isn't it?

I always assumed Colchester was already a city. Perhaps just because Manchester, Winchester and Chichester all are.

I know it's not that big, but it's bigger than Bath, Newport and Wells (presumably much bigger in the latter case) isn't it? They are my most local other cities, so I don't necessarily think of cities having to be that big.

Which is the largest town in the UK now? I'd have guessed Milton Keynes must have been up there before this.

St David's in Wales although I'm sure the Falklands Islands one must now be the smallest.

OT: I just remembered I dreamt about the Falklands last night. They were dreary.

Are we talking population? Apparently St David’s has a population of around 1600 whilst Port Stanley has around 2100!

I always thought a town with cathedral = city automatically which I'm sure Colchester does. I could be wrong on both points.

Well I always thought the same but DUNBLANE is quite near me, has a cathedral and is still a TOWN.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom