Taliban: THE COMEBACK

20 years for almost nothing. The way the US continually leaves the countries they’ve occupied in such a horrible manner… :evil:

What @funky is saying is however right regarding the geography of the country. It’s hard to rule all parts of it, no modern state has been able to, there will always be fractions that will be more or less self governing or result in some kind of never ending civil war.

thanks for not being triggered!

Who are the RIGHT people? :disco:

I'm just trying to figure out why you think Afghanistan couldn't be helped, unlike Germany, Korea, Israel. You say its about geography and alliance. I say its about political will - that Afghanistan could have been left in a better position if America wanted to.

Germany, Japan and Korea are nothing like Afghanistan and Iraq. The former were already industrialised, ethnically homogenic established states. It was easy to get them back on their feet again.
The latter are fragmented and ethnically diverse countries lacking a lot of what’s required to form a functioning state.

thanks for not being triggered!
Is this sort of thing really necessary? Maybe you meant it differently, but it looks to me like you're trying to antagonise Beverley (alternatively, trying to antagonise the only Muslim participating in this discussion about the Middle East). Really fucking childish!

Can we please not do this? What has being a Muslim to do with any of this?

The geography of Afghanistan makes it hard to conquer and unite if its different parts are at war with each other, which they are now and have been for decades… which poses an extreme challenge to make the state function (in its current state and with the current situation).

This is the reality that is now.

However, that doesn’t mean the Afghanistani people will never be able to become a modern, functioning nation just because of who they are or because of their mountains. I don’t think that’s what @funky means, but this is what Ms @Beverley thinks he is saying, hence the misunderstanding.

Is this sort of thing really necessary? Maybe you meant it differently, but it looks to me like you're trying to antagonise Beverley (alternatively, trying to antagonise the only Muslim participating in this discussion about the Middle East). Really fucking childish!

what the actual fuck?

How about we go back to “you’re making such huge generalisations” and decide who’s being antagonistic? And Beverly gets a free pass on patronising someone else’s opinion because he’s MUSLIM?

I am truly AGOG at this absolute NONSENSE

If anything I would be offended be the “sweeping generalisation” that as “a Muslim” on moopy I should be held to a certain standard on all things to do Middle Eastern politics

FFS this is why we should stick to Britney Spears survivors on here - people aren’t allowed to weigh in and make innocent comments without being caught up in veiled attempts at being accused of either being thick or being xenophobic!

I was saying that replying to someone else with "thanks for not being triggered" is CLEARLY attempting to antagonise and troll the person you were disagreeing with previously, or would you deny that?

I was saying that replying to someone else with "thanks for not being triggered" is CLEARLY attempting to antagonise and troll the person you were disagreeing with previously, or would you deny that?

no I was standing up for myself for already being antagonised earlier. Your comment about being childish was out of line. It wasn’t your dialogue to jump in on. But whatever, you lost me at “don’t argue with Beverley, he’s Muslim” :manson:

And let's not even get into how closely the language of being"triggered" is tied to the far-right and white nationalism at this point, to the extent that I'd genuinely have to question whether somebody would be able to use it accidentally nowadays...

The whole thread proves one thing though, that moopy is entirely incapable of an intelligent thread on a sensitive matter.

every, fucking, time.

no I was standing up for myself for already being antagonised earlier. Your comment about being childish was out of line. It wasn’t your dialogue to jump in on. But whatever, you lost me at “don’t argue with Beverley, he’s Muslim” :manson:
Absolutely never said that at any point.

And let's not even get into how closely the language of being"triggered" is tied to the far-right and white nationalism at this point, to the extent that I'd genuinely have to question whether somebody would be able to use it accidentally nowadays...

oh fuck off, COB, you’re making no sense now at all. The term Triggering is not owned by the far right. If I said someone was triggered in a thread about cupcakes would you assume I was making some reference to the far right?

Stop looking for things that aren’t there.

oh fuck off, COB, you’re making no sense now at all. The term Triggering is not owned by the far right. If I said someone was triggered in a thread about cupcakes would you assume I was making some reference to the far right?

Stop looking for things that aren’t there.
I would say that you don't know about the origins of the term, how it's been used by the far right and co-opted as a dogwhistle, but you're correct that the use of words can change over time. I also really don't like being told to fuck off, and I notice you still haven't tried to explain what you were trying to do in that post I initially took issue with.

literally what.

triggered is widely used in a huge number of contexts related to debate and discussion, it's not just about white nationalism. I can't even at this.

I would say that you don't know about the origins of the term, how it's been used by the far right and co-opted as a dogwhistle, but you're correct that the use of words can change over time. I also really don't like being told to fuck off, and I notice you still haven't tried to explain what you were trying to do in that post I initially took issue with.
If I cared enough I might

but this whole thread is making me cringe, sorry.

what a fucking disaster of a conversation!

literally what.

triggered is widely used in a huge number of contexts related to debate and discussion, it's not just about white nationalism. I can't even at this.
Using it in the 'are you triggered'/'triggering people' context is a specific thing that sprung up online over the past 5+ years - it comes from the 'anti-SJW' movement, Gamergate and the various other subcultures that merged and became what's known as the alt-right.

Still agog at a grown man trying to use a 'triggered' joke to try and passive aggressively belittle someone on Moopy, in 2021, because they disagreed about something. I thought we were past this kind of thing?

Using it in the 'are you triggered'/'triggering people' context is a specific thing that sprung up online over the past 5+ years - it comes from the 'anti-SJW' movement, Gamergate and the various other subcultures that merged and became what's known as the alt-right.
that may be one context in which it's used, but to imply funky was co-opting white supremacist language by using that very commonly used wording, which was also everywhere in gay lingo just a couple of years ago (please remember funky is very old and behind the times), was ridiculous.

that may be one context in which it's used, but to imply funky was co-opting white supremacist language by using that very commonly used wording, which was also everywhere in gay lingo just a couple of years ago (please remember funky is very old and behind the times), was ridiculous.
That's fine if you think so, and I probably was a bit too strident there, but I really can't help but side-eye anyone using those terms. Sorry I guess?

I mean, the cringiest bit is that a grown man had to respond the way he did cos he couldn't handle me saying that discussing Afghanistan's viability as a state based on geography and alliances was a little SUSPECT!

I mean, the cringiest bit is that a grown man had to respond the way he did cos he couldn't handle me saying that discussing Afghanistan's viability as a state based on geography and alliances was a little SUSPECT!

I thought you’d said all you had to say?

That's fine if you think so, and I probably was a bit too strident there, but I really can't help but side-eye anyone using those terms. Sorry I guess?

feel free to side eye, meanwhile I’ll be sitting here agog at the black hole you’re slipping into over the word trigger

Reading this thread like

Thats What I Heard If You Say So GIF by C.Nichole

feel free to side eye, meanwhile I’ll be sitting here agog at the black hole you’re slipping into over the word trigger
Look, we probably run in different circles of the internet - I appreciate that not everyone is going to know the origin of everything. But the fact of the matter is that you used the word in the way the right wing do - to mock trigger warnings and imply someone else is irrational. I get that you're angry, but honestly why are you doing that? It just felt so beneath you that I was a bit surprised. I know you're going to say that you don't care which is fine, go nuts, but it made me lose a bit of respect for you.

I think we should refocus this thread on actual current events and developments rather than handbags and shade.

it's not the best look for anyone involved and i'd like to educate myself further on what's going on in Afghanistan without sifting through all this PETTINESS.

I think we should refocus this thread on actual current events and developments rather than handbags and shade.

it's not the best look for anyone involved and i'd like to educate myself further on what's going on in Afghanistan without sifting through all this PETTINESS.
What the actual FUCK is this? Do you really think this is something to joke about? FUCKS SAKE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom