Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

POP!

Let the light in
We may hate HER now, but this is genuinely one of my favorite albums of the last few years. She really took that 'Tegan & Sara do pop', maximized the hooks, with a bigger budget, and RAN with it.

Taylor_Swift_-_1989.png

Welcome to New York
Blank Space
Style
Out of the Woods
All You Had to Do Was Stay
Shake It Off
I Wish You Would
Bad Blood
Wildest Dreams
How You Get the Girl
This Love
I Know Places
Clean

Wonderland
You Are in Love
New Romantics

08 Welcome to New York
10 Blank Space
10 Style
10 Out of the Woods
09 All You Had to Do Was Stay
08 Shake It Off
08 I Wish You Would
03 Bad Blood
09 Wildest Dreams
07 How You Get the Girl
10 This Love
08 I Know Places
07 Clean

07 Wonderland
09 You Are in Love
10 New Romantics

"Bad Blood" really is its one blemish. what a bunch of whiny, non-rhyming, elementary SHIT.

"This Love" has been the biggest grower for me, it's gorgeous

Last edited:
I revisited this at the gym yesterday (after about a two month break admittedly). It's just perfect. I even quite like Bad Blood now. The other 'weaker' song is You Are In Love but I still love it ish. Was great live.

08 Welcome to New York
10 Blank Space
10 Style
11 Out of the Woods
09 Shake It Off
08 I Wish You Would
07 Bad Blood
09 Wildest Dreams
08 How You Get the Girl
10 This Love
09 I Know Places
10 Clean

09 Wonderland
08 You Are in Love
09 New Romantics

Flawed album albeit one of her LEAST flawed. Red still remains brilliant from start to finish (Except for 22, still makes my skin crawl and kick elderly women).

One of the best string of single releases in YEARS (along with Ariana's run from My Everything) 2014-2015 was an amazing time to be alive.

09 Welcome to New York
10 Blank Space
11 Style (#Justice4Style, should have prmoted a bit more, I liked the video though it was universally hated by the Swifters)
10 Out of the Woods
05 Shake It Off
07 I Wish You Would
10 Bad Blood
09 Wildest Dreams
07 How You Get the Girl
09 This Love
10 I Know Places
08 Clean

07 Wonderland
07 You Are in Love
11 New Romantics (#JusticeforNR deserved more promo and a proper video, what a fucking BITCH)

omg two 11s.

Flawed album albeit one of her LEAST flawed. Red still remains brilliant from start to finish (Except for 22, still makes my skin crawl and kick elderly women).

Red is a strange album for me. I LOVE the first five tracks - "State of Grace" might be my all time Taylor Swift favorite- and the last few tracks are great too, but everything in between is just so BEIGE and drags and drags for me. so overall i think i prefer Speak Now and then 1989 is leagues ahead

'Red' was really the transitional album that allowed '1989' to exist in the first place I think - and in saying that I think it's quite flawed in that it sits awkwardly between pop and country (rather than her previous albums that fused the two together really well - on 'Red' they sit more exclusively of one another).

1989 video rank:

Wildest Dreams
Blank Space
Style
Out of the Woods
Shake It Off
New Romantics

I do still love Red but this might edge it out. Red has more filler and drags a bit towards the end. See Sad Beautiful Tragic.

I still love the first two albums. I think I listen to the Speak Now live album more than the actual one. Back to December into Apologize into You're Not Sorry is amazing. And Ours.

Last edited:
'Red' was really the transitional album that allowed '1989' to exist in the first place I think - and in saying that I think it's quite flawed in that it sits awkwardly between pop and country (rather than her previous albums that fused the two together really well - on 'Red' they sit more exclusively of one another).

Yeah I'd say the title track is the only one that really fuses the two together successfully.

"22" really is AWFUL. Looking at its chart position it does seem oddly well remembered/frequently referenced by the public, for *only* making it to #20 in the States (low for a T-Swift single)

This is the only "22" I really bother with

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tWjNFC-FinU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And even that's just slightly ABOVE mediocre levels

22 is really a track that divides generations.

As someone who was 20 (too-oo) when it was released and was still on a Red high two years later it was monumental.

Really.

22 is really a track that divides generations.

As someone who was 20 (too-oo) when it was released and was still on a Red high two years later it was monumental.

Really.
In the same way that Better Than Today was recession anthem?

It feels like a perfect night, to dress up like Hitler :disco:

I've only listened to 1989 all the way through a couple of times so can't particuarly be arsed to rate but Style is probably somewhere in the top ten pop songs of the 2010s THUS FAR. It really benefits from the way she deconstructs her whole thing in it, it's so much more mature-sounding than "lol boys are dumb, let's have a sleepover" shite like Shake It Off.

10 Welcome to New York
09 Blank Space
06 Style
11 Out of the Woods
08 All You Had to Do Was Stay
08 Shake It Off
07 I Wish You Would
09 Bad Blood
09 Wildest Dreams
10 How You Get the Girl :disco:
07 This Love
06 I Know Places
08 Clean

Revisiting this, as one must in a post-reputation world, a few of my scores have changed and I've realised that it really is one of THE essential pop albums of the decade.

10 Welcome to New York
10 Blank Page
07 Style
11 Out of the Woods
10 All You Had To Do Was Stay
09 Shake It Off
07 I Wish You Would
09 Bad Blood
10 Wildest Dreams
10 How You Get The Girl
06 This Love
06 I Know Places
08 Clean

There's something so effortless about it all. Unlike reputation, it doesn't feel cynical.

I listened to this for the first time the other week and I was actually stunned by how consistently good it is. So many songs better than the singles and Shake It Off is almost borderline offensively awful among it. Yet it's also one of those albums that makes me feel a bit OLD. I'm aware it's technically good pop music, but I also feel like I don't love it enough like I might if I was my teenage self (or even mid twenties) when it came out. I tend to feel this way about LORDE.

As a result, it's an uneasy 8/10. New Romantics is the best thing she's ever done though

Spinning this for the first time in a good long while...it's a bloody good pop record, innit? The singles were certainly well chosen but it doesn't feel particularly fillerish elsewhere (except "This Love" which is as bland as an ASDA frozen curry). If anything, bits of the album have matured well, especially "Bad Blood", "I Know Places" and "Welcome To New York".

I still think “Blank Space” is one of the greatest pieces of pop music ever made...

Welcome to New York is absolutely divine. What a sugar rush. Time has revealed All You Had To Do Was Stay to be one of the best album tracks too

08 Welcome to New York
07 Blank Page
07 Style
06 Out of the Woods
10 All You Had To Do Was Stay
07 Shake It Off
?? I Wish You Would
08 Bad Blood
09 Wildest Dreams
10 How You Get The Girl
09 This Love
10 I Know Places
08 Clean

08 Wonderland
08 You Are In Love
07 New Romantics

jesus at my last rate, here's the updated 219 one

09 Welcome to New York
10 Blank Page
10 Style
09 Out of the Woods
06 All You Had To Do Was Stay
01 Shake It Off
05 I Wish You Would
08 Bad Blood
07 Wildest Dreams
08 How You Get The Girl
05 This Love
09 I Know Places
08 Clean

08 Wonderland
08 You Are In Love
11 New Romantics

All of the album tracks blend into one in my memory but the run of singles is mostly great. Her pop period coincided with her also becoming totally unbearable but the songs are definitely there, I even like most of the reputation (Taylor Swift™, Property of TAS LLC Management 2017©) singles.

-1 Shake It Off
10 Blank Space
10 Style
06 Bad Blood
10 Wildest Dreams
07 Out of the Woods
08 New Romantics
06 Welcome to New York

06 Look What You Made Me Do
03 ...Ready for It?
09 End Game
05 Gorgeous
10 Delicate

Oh piss off @ the low marks for "Shake It Off". Just think, while you've been getting down and out with the Brexiters and dirty dirty tweets of the world, you could have been getting down to THIS. SICK. BEAT. *clap clap clap*

The rap section makes me want to jump off a bridge! I've complained about this before but there's nobody more cloying at pretending to be down-to-earth and relatable than Taylor Swift, especially when she's being that girl listening to gangsta rap on the way to the farmer's market.

Thank god she discovered her true urban-industrial style in reputation (©). It was really like her Yeezus.

Can't believe this shit being compared to an Asda frozen curry.

UNFAIR!

Just here to say that Style and Out Of The Woods are the two best songs she's ever made. Don't care about the rest.

The production alone is 13/10. Max Martin really did THAT. AGAIN.

It's got a mechanical appeal to it but I guess I'm just one of those people who prefers more emotional, meaningful lyrics.

I'm sorry, the old Taylor can't come to the phone right now
Why?
Oh...
'Cause she's dead!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom