Taylor Swift - "Look What You Made Me Do"

She has apparently developed a fan base as an icon for those in the Alt-Right.

Nah, other than a bunch of knuckle-draggers using her Aryan blondness as wanking material, this is basically bollocks.

No she isn't :D
Well, she is. In the sense that comeback hype and rabid fandom can get her an easy number one with the lead single, but follow ups of this quality won't be troubling the top spot or getting close.

If there isn't something more akin to what people actually want from Taylor Swift this era will be more a Prism than a 1989.

I'd say this is quite a good combination of old and new for her. I mean the verses are a bit of a choice delivery wise but I'm too shook by the bombastic production and melodic chorus to worry about that.

giphy.gif

It's kind of sad when we're just happy that THE CHORUS HAS A MELODY.

Well, she is. In the sense that comeback hype and rabid fandom can get her an easy number one with the lead single, but follow ups of this quality won't be troubling the top spot or getting close.

If there isn't something more akin to what people actually want from Taylor Swift this era will be more a Prism than a 1989.
She had comeback hype and a rabid fandom when she came back with 1989 and didn't get a UK #1 with Shake It Off. Presuming she's dead just because YOU hate the song is a bit presumptuous.

She's currently 1 & 2 on iTunes.

She had comeback hype and a rabid fandom when she came back with 1989 and didn't get a UK #1 with Shake It Off. Presuming she's dead just because YOU hate the song is a bit presumptuous.
Who said dead? Are you actually this stupid or just pretending? My point, as well you know, is that she won't have four or five big hits unless there's significantly better to come. Watch it play out, and you can apologise for being a tedious cunt when it's all over.

Who said dead? Are you actually this stupid or just pretending? My point, as well you know, is that she won't have four or five big hits unless there's significantly better to come. Watch it play out, and you can apologise for being a tedious cunt when it's all over.

:D!
It's getting more bitchy than Tay-Tay herself in 'ere!

Who DOES have four or five big hits from one album in this day and age outside of their imperial era?

OMG.

Did she have four or five big hits from her last album?

Did she have four or five big hits from her last album?

Shake It Off: #1 USA, #2 UK
Blank Space: #1 USA, #4 UK
Style: #6 USA, #21 UK
Bad Blood: #1 USA, #4 UK
Wildest Dreams: #5 USA, #40 UK
Out of The Woods: #18 USA, #136 UK

So yes in America, questionably here. In Jark's defence this song was never not going to be massive out of the gate. It'll definitely be telling what the next single does.

I like "Ready for It" a lot. The explosion in the last chorus is the kind of enthusiasm and joy that "Look What Made You Do" is lacking.

This 'Ready for it' is quite better than 'Look what you made me do'
Much more melodic and complete. I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. I don't know why they didn't push this as first single.

So yes in America, questionably here. In Jark's defence this song was never not going to be massive out of the gate. It'll definitely be telling what the next single does.

uhm sorry sweety you're missing her best song ever and 6th single from 1989 overall
New Romantics (aka song of 2016) #46 USA, #132 UK :( :evil:

I like "Ready for It" a lot. The explosion in the last chorus is the kind of enthusiasm and joy that "Look What Made You Do" is lacking.

Tay Tay is coming for Kanye's Rap Grammy in 2018

Is it just me or the bridge/pre-chorus sounds EXACTLY like her delivery in Wildest Dreams (The "I SEE..." bits) while the chorus is obviously based on Bad Blood?
Never change MAX! Also, I read this song is about Harry Styles :manson: will she ever stop writing about her failed relationships?

Last edited:
Tay Tay is coming for Kanye's Rap Grammy in 2018

Is it just me or the bridge/pre-chorus sounds EXACTLY like her delivery in Wildest Dreams (The "I SEE..." bits) while the chorus is obviously based on Bad Blood?
Never change MAX! Also, I read this song is about Harry Styles :manson: will she ever stop writing about her failed relationships?
She'll have a failed career to feast upon soon enough.

I just wish she repeated the chorus once more at the end with the "let the games begin" chanting in the background. Would have been perfect.

And she was hindered by lack of Spotify. I guess if nothing else we'll get to see if she remains in her imperial period.

I'm still pissed that they sat on Out Of The Woods for well over a year and ruined its chances of being an enormo megasmash which stayed at #1 until the end of time. Truly the best song of her career and everything great about pop music distilled into four fabulous minutes of JOY.

It’s been one hell of a week for Taylor Swift. Ever since the global pop superstar dropped her new single, Look What You Made Me Do, in the early hours of Friday, August 25, she has been the only story in town for the worldwide music business.

Audio and video streaming records tumbled as she shot to her first-ever UK No.1 single. And airplay and sales stats were also impressive as the star’s latest reinvention captured media attention and the public imagination.

And so, as the biz braces itself for Reputation (out November 10), likely to be the biggest global album of Q4, Music Week eases you into the week by putting all the numbers from Swift’s record-shattering first seven days into one place. Enjoy!

UK first-week chart sales for Look What You Made Me Do

Number of first-week UK streams for Look What You Made Me Do

Number Shake It Off sold last week as it returned to the chart

Number of plays on UK radio for Look What You Made Me Do

50.25 million

Combined UK radio audience for Look What You Made Me Do last week

Number of times BBC Radio 1 played Look What You Made Me Do last week (more than any other record)

165.27m

Number of radio impacts on EU Airplay chart for Look What You Made Me Do

19m

Number of YouTube views for the Look What You Made Me Do lyric video in its first 24 hours (a new record).

43.2m

Number of YouTube views for the Look What You Made Me Do official video in its first 24 hours (a new record).

Number of Spotify plays for Look What You Made Me Do in its first day

Monthly listeners on Spotify for Swift, who only rejoined the platform in June

UK sales for Swift’s last album, 1989, to date

The projected number of downloads (yes, downloads) in the US for Look What You Made Me Do’s first week

14 billion

The combined number of hastily-composed Taylor Swift thinkpieces and social media memes put on the internet over the last 10 days* (*OK, we might have made that one up)

On September 3, Swift dropped a second new song, Ready For It. A taster was aired during ESPN's coverage of a college football match between Alabama and Florida state, subsequently the full track was released on Spotify. The official YouTube clip has so far notched 3,499,171 views.

For more on the Swift phenomenon, including reaction from her UK label boss Ted Cockle and Right Said Fred’s publisher responding to Swift’s surprise interpolation of I’m Too Sexy, see the new edition of Music Week, out today. To subscribe and never miss a big music biz story, click here.

From a pure sales perspective, the figures aren't particularly impressive, are they?

Taylor does well in areas targeted at the TEEN market (streaming, social media, etc) but crucially Adele has more market appeal in demographics that actually SHELL OUT for music - grannies, mums, Radio 2 audiences, etc. I can't think of any non-homos beyond the age of 30 who would buy Taylor Swift music.

Ready For It debuts on Spotify at #30 with 144k streams in the UK. That's less than a quarter of Look What You Made Me Do opened with.

I'm not sold on either. They're both just okay, and quite gimmicky. Whereas the last two campaigns had brought us State of Grace, Red and Out of the Woods in addition to the big hit chasing tracks by this point.

I don't want to say I'm worried for the album at this point, but I'm worried for the album at this point.

Well 1989 WAS a blatant hit chasing album albeit it had some hidden (subpar) gems like I know places, Clean and of course Out Of the Woods but compared to All Too Well and State OF Grace they were LACKING.

I have no high hopes for Reputation at this stage except a jam packed wall to wall MAx Martin bangers with no substance that¿ll stay in your head for months to come.

LWYMMD is #1 in America, ending "Despacio"'s historic longest run at the top. It's her fifth #1.

Let's sweep this one under the rug now.

Has anyone else noticed Grindr gays referencing this in their profile? How tragic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom