Taylor Swift - Red (4th Album)

Lockhart

Valar Morghulis
Due out October 22nd, the standard edition will have SIXTEEN TRACKS!

I'm quite excited after Speak Now, but in the end it turned out to be much, much, too long so 16 tracks again isn't the BEST thought.

She's premiering the single tonight, or at least part of it, so hopefully a clip should be online soon.

The side shots of the fans crying during its first play are quite something :D

oadkau.jpg

But on first listen: the song is NICE but it's no "Mine" - not by a long shot. It's going to be the bigger hit though. The 'ooh' bits are quite catchy as well as the post chorus but the main hook is pretty clumsy.

How on earth is she an awful awful woman? At her worst she's just a mediocre singer who sings quite catchy pop songs.

Kill her now.

It's catchier than Mine for me on first listen for me. It doesn't scream big hit as much as Love Story did though.

Awful awful woman. Never understood her appeal.

I get that she isn't your bag, VoR, but how could you not understand her appeal? She's making unoffensive, teen pop-country music (OK, pop marketed as country) that bashes guys and swoons over them in equal measure by the dozen. And on top of that she has a very wholesome, lovely and endearingly quirky little personality.

Her music though is admittedly hit and miss but she's been improving with every album, IMO.

Mediocre singer is kind. She's fucking tone deaf.

That song 'Mean' is one of the worst things ever.

I get why she sells, I just don't get why she (sometimes) gets good reviews for such mediocre material and negligible talent.

I get why she sells, I just don't get why she (sometimes) gets good reviews for such mediocre material and negligible talent.

Oh there's a fair bit of talent on display on Speak Now, maybe not vocally, but lyrically it's far better than most anyone would have expected.

Here's a LQ video of the single:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VSAYU9DpldY?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's on par with 'Mine' for me, the hook is stronger, but the title is a bit clumsy and so are some of the lyrics.

Again, I would've agreed with you more with her first album ("Should've Said No" is achingly bad, vocally). But I think her voice is improving with the last two albums and she has a knack for coming up with a tune/solid hook, not to mention she wrote the last album entirely on her own. "Enchanted" in itself is a triumph.

She is talented though. She understands how to write a pop song and has understood since she was about sixteen. Granted lyrically there's a lot of repetition but most singer songwriters in pop music would kill to be able to come up with a proper hook in the way Taylor Swift is able to.

And no she isn't a good singer but I don't think she's ever claimed to be and that hardly matters much on the record. Also I find it a bit rich for you to be criticising her vocal ability when you've been posting non-stop about how amazing the Spice Girls are for the last week.

It'll be available later tonight on iTunes and is already on Google Play. It's sent to radio tomorrow. Do we think it can debut at #1 on the Hot 100? It would be her first Hot 100 #1 although it will be difficult with streaming now in the equation and sales less weighted. Airplay will have a huge start though, surely. "Mine" was a victim of poor timing, it was released/premiered on a Friday due to a leak.

0Ns3D.jpg

Most of it has been due to timing and "Love Story", "You Belong With Me" hung around forever. If this can't make #1, I'm not sure she'll ever make it there. But I guess the other inevitable question: will Red top 1 million in its first week like Speak Now did? I think it will do around 800k.

Album cover in better quality:

Taylor-Swift-2012-Red-600.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think it will manage it either, I'm going for 750k. Of course if the single does take off it might well do, I'm sure they'll do everything they can to get it there though.

Taylor top 10 for such an occasion:

1. Enchanted
2. Mine
3. Untouchable
4. You Belong With Me
5. Sparks Fly
6. Tell Me Why
7. Love Story
8. Fearless
9. Superstar
10. Tear Drops on My Guitar

1. Our Song
2. I'd Lie
3. White Horse
4. Long Live
5. Love Story
6. Teardrops On My Guitar
7. Back to December
8. Cold As You
9. Mean
10. Tim McGraw
11. Tied Together With a Smile
12. Tell Me Why
13. Fearless
14. Hey Stephen
15. Mary's Song (Oh My My My)

HM:
Change
Mine
Picture to Burn
Speak Now
Stay Beautiful
The Way I Loved You
You Belong With Me

I forgot about "Come in With the Rain" off the Fearless re-release, that'd be around #7 on my list.

Re: chlammy's list - "Tied Together With a Smile", I also forgot, although for very different reasons.

Edit: Oh and credits

Composers: Taylor Swift, Max Martin, Shellback.

Last edited:
I can't believe Taylor didn't include the very best of her hundred unrequited love/crush songs on any of the albums.

On the subject of those songs, I have a love hate relationship with Invisible. It's a bit rubbish but sometimes I just can't help playing it on repeat.

I don't MIND her actually, and do love some of her songs (Back To December is lovely) but this bitch hasn't had a mainstream hit since like OH NINE, what GIVES?

I know she still sells like 2million albums but where are the hits?? Does she just have a very strong fan base?

I don't MIND her actually, and do love some of her songs (Back To December is lovely) but this bitch hasn't had a mainstream hit since like OH NINE, what GIVES?

I know she still sells like 2million albums but where are the hits?? Does she just have a very strong fan base?

Yes her fanbase is very rabid which is why whenever she releases a new song on iTunes (like "Eyes Open" or "Safe & Sound") it goes straight to #1 on that chart.

"Love Story", "You Belong With Me" and a pop mix of "Teardrops on My Guitar" all went top ten at pop radio but all of the Speak Now singles stalled outside. "Mine" went the highest at #11, "Story of Us" was the smallest hit at #21. She had multiple country #1s though this last album so she's still a dead cert over there but then that format is much more corrupt as I'm sure Ketchupmoney will tell you! :eyes:

Oh I love this. A HUGE POP SONG with a simple, repetitive hook could be just the trick to keep people outside of her fanbase (like me) interested.

This song really is a TRIUMPH. After a seemingly never-ending year of Guetta/Harris productions, it's nice to have a SIMPLE, CATCHY pop song.

Plus, she looks hot on that cover. I WOULD

As of three hours ago it's selling 4x the #2 song on iTunes. And it got to the top spot in a record 50 minutes. All signs are pointing to an even bigger era than Speak Now

Last edited:
the talking bits are cringey as hell, but this is great :disco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom