Tech questions that don't deserve their own thread

How do I do that?
If you have an iPhone, just click the ellipses and it should give you an option to ‘Lock’ the note.

I also just use the built-in Password manager, but for quick access to various info as well as common passwords, the locked note will do.

So I cleared my cache (or something of that nature) as it seems I have to uninstall Instagram and reinstall it just to be able to load music clips, view stories, etc. Anyway, this I can almost live with until I look into getting a new phone (how to cancel whatever I'm with now and then the faff of googling what 99.9% of the population already know about phones like it were making a cup of tea or knowing the words to a Gina G album track). But what I'm asking is when I type "moop.." and before I can add the "eh" to the end of that, the browser helpfully throws up a previously used url. However, since interrupting my cache flow the suggested URL is something I don't want to keep visiting. Is there a way to choose the URL that the browser predicts?

So I cleared my cache (or something of that nature) as it seems I have to uninstall Instagram and reinstall it just to be able to load music clips, view stories, etc. Anyway, this I can almost live with until I look into getting a new phone (how to cancel whatever I'm with now and then the faff of googling what 99.9% of the population already know about phones like it were making a cup of tea or knowing the words to a Gina G album track). But what I'm asking is when I type "moop.." and before I can add the "eh" to the end of that, the browser helpfully throws up a previously used url. However, since interrupting my cache flow the suggested URL is something I don't want to keep visiting. Is there a way to choose the URL that the browser predicts?
Doesn’t it just start remembering the more frequently or most recently visited URLs? So if you just continue searching and picking the correct one a few times, it’ll instantly become the first choice for the future.

So if you’re using Chrome is looks like you can swipe left on the suggested URL to delete the suggestion

Doesn’t it just start remembering the more frequently or most recently visited URLs? So if you just continue searching and picking the correct one a few times, it’ll instantly become the first choice for the future.

This was taking me to Eileen's paint thread and that was yonks ago. Will try Percy's idea.

Ok my airpods are really low using my android phone. I've tried the director settings, but it hasn't worked. I can't have this at the gym only hearing my sorb classics like they're playing from a chippie van outside. Please help.

I'm looking to buy a new turntable. I have a real low end HMV type of player at the moment that does the job just fine but want to upgrade on sound/put my vinyl collection onto PC etc. I know audio-technica are supposed to be good. Does anyone on Moopy have vinyl player knowledge/suggestions? I know a few people on here listen to vinyl!

Can anyone recommend a good DVD rip to hard drive software? I don't know if it is the DVDs I've bought off someone who has done them themselves (as opposed to official ones), but my usual WinX DVD software is only ripping 1% etc and not managing to rip them for some reason. I've ordered another external DVD player thing, but figured I should also try another software too.

Can anyone recommend a good DVD rip to hard drive software? I don't know if it is the DVDs I've bought off someone who has done them themselves (as opposed to official ones), but my usual WinX DVD software is only ripping 1% etc and not managing to rip them for some reason. I've ordered another external DVD player thing, but figured I should also try another software too.
Handbrake was always good but it’s been a long long time since I last used it:

Ok so I was worried about my 10yr old 1TB external drive (whether it’ll keep working and also storage cap) so I decided to get a new 2TB one.

I spent last night transferring everything over, and just to check I did some file counts.

It looks like all the files are accounted for, but when I look at the properties of each drive, the new one’s used space matched the sun total of the files.

But the old one has an additional 130GB space used and I can’t work out why! It’s not hidden files because they’re already visible.

On a side note, I hate how they advertise as 2TB but what they mean is 2 trillion bytes, which is 1.81TB

Oh apparently there’s a secret recycling bin on my external that is so useful I have no access to it! There’s 130GB of data there

I did a disk cleanup but it only found 5GB 🤷‍♂️

For some reason I couldn't access moopy for like 3 hours neither by laptop nor the phone while every other site was ok.
I had to restart the laptop, delete cookies, flush dns cache and the ip but it only worked when I entered Google's DNS server addresses in my network properties.
The phone still can't access Moopy and am not sure what to do.

EDIT: Fixed it, if it ever happens to you google fix dns-probe-finished-nxdomain and follow the steps

Last edited:
Hi Moopy,

I don't think my request needs its own thread since a) I'm sure this has been asked before but, I can't find a thread anywhere and b) A well summarised reply with the necessary steps will do.

I decided to rip the audio off some physical CDs to my iPhone; a bunch of CDs I own that I don't think they'll ever see the light of day on Spotify (AT least where I live) mainly Kylie's Intimate & Live, amongst other leaks and unofficial stuff. Anyone knows where I can find a short tutorial on what I need to download and how to do it? Thank you very much.

Hi Moopy,

I don't think my request needs its own thread since a) I'm sure this has been asked before but, I can't find a thread anywhere and b) A well summarised reply with the necessary steps will do.

I decided to rip the audio off some physical CDs to my iPhone; a bunch of CDs I own that I don't think they'll ever see the light of day on Spotify (AT least where I live) mainly Kylie's Intimate & Live, amongst other leaks and unofficial stuff. Anyone knows where I can find a short tutorial on what I need to download and how to do it? Thank you very much.
(Sorry for this DISTURBING FOREING LANGUAGE, guys)

Si lo que quieres es pasar tus cds a mp3 (yo he copiado miles) lo que he encontrado más cómodo es hacerlo con itunes. Si no lo tienes lo instalas en el ordenador, y al meter el cd te lo reconoce (si estás conectado a internet, of course) y te aparecen nombres de canciones y demás. Y con un solo click te copias el cd al ordenador. En ajustes puedes poner más o menos calidad de audio e incluso elegir otros formatos alternativos a mp3. x

(Sorry for this DISTURBING FOREING LANGUAGE, guys)

Si lo que quieres es pasar tus cds a mp3 (yo he copiado miles) lo que he encontrado más cómodo es hacerlo con itunes. Si no lo tienes lo instalas en el ordenador, y al meter el cd te lo reconoce (si estás conectado a internet, of course) y te aparecen nombres de canciones y demás. Y con un solo click te copias el cd al ordenador. En ajustes puedes poner más o menos calidad de audio e incluso elegir otros formatos alternativos a mp3. x
Muchas Gracias! Eso solía hacerlo..........en 2012 :basil: Creí que habría una forma menos rudimentaria/manual de hacerlo. Entonces, ¿busco la versión más actualizada de itunes para mi laptop? Creí que itunes había sido descontinuado (Como puedes ver, no he hecho mi previa tarea referente a esto).

¿HAcía donde se van los mp3/mp4 en mi iphone? Elijo Apple Music o itunes store para escucharlos una vez que ya estén en mi móvil?

Muchas Gracias! Eso solía hacerlo..........en 2012 :basil: Creí que habría una forma menos rudimentaria/manual de hacerlo. Entonces, ¿busco la versión más actualizada de itunes para mi laptop? Creí que itunes había sido descontinuado (Como puedes ver, no he hecho mi previa tarea referente a esto).

¿HAcía donde se van los mp3/mp4 en mi iphone? Elijo Apple Music o itunes store para escucharlos una vez que ya estén en mi móvil?
Qué va, itunes claro que sigue, yo escucho mi música en mi ipod donde tengo miles de mp3s, con la de canciones/radio edits que escucho que no están en spotify, por dios, muero sin el ipod.
Y sí, al final ripear un cd es algo rudimentario, la única manera de hacerlo es con un programa y metiendo uno a uno, de eso no te vas a librar. Igual ahora hay otros programas mejores, pero siendo algo tan desfasado no creo que hayan sacado muchos; yo encuentro itunes lo más cómodo porque hasta los cd singles más raros que tengo me los detectaba con todos sus datos (bueno, el 99.9%). También porque siempre he tenido itunes en la computadora para organizar mi música, pero es tremendamente útil para eso.

En cuanto a lo otro no te puedo decir porque nunca he tenido iphone, sorry.

English translation: itunes is great

Qué va, itunes claro que sigue, yo escucho mi música en mi ipod donde tengo miles de mp3s, con la de canciones/radio edits que escucho que no están en spotify, por dios, muero sin el ipod.
Y sí, al final ripear un cd es algo rudimentario, la única manera de hacerlo es con un programa y metiendo uno a uno, de eso no te vas a librar. Igual ahora hay otros programas mejores, pero siendo algo tan desfasado no creo que hayan sacado muchos; yo encuentro itunes lo más cómodo porque hasta los cd singles más raros que tengo me los detectaba con todos sus datos (bueno, el 99.9%). También porque siempre he tenido itunes en la computadora para organizar mi música, pero es tremendamente útil para eso.

En cuanto a lo otro no te puedo decir porque nunca he tenido iphone, sorry.

English translation: itunes is great

Excelente. ¡Gracias por tu ayuda! Creo que lo más sensible será buscarme iTunes para la laptop e intentar con un solo CD y ver en donde "cae" el archivo en mi iphone. Tengo años que me robaron mi ipod y nunca compre un repuesto ya que probe Spotify en el móvil y no he visto para atrás desde entonces!

Yeah go to the itunes website, install the right one, and do a test. Make sure before you rip it to go to settings and change it to mp3 (the default one usually is the itunes format) and the quality, to 320kbps or whatever, I'm not very picky with that.

In settings/advanced you can check/change where you're copying your files.

This has probably been asked before but I keep getting notifications that my basic iCloud package is full and I need to upgrade because updates aren’t being backed up.

The problem is, as is probably normal these days, it’s 95% whatsapp. But I can’t find anywhere to tailor the WhatsApp memory - I don’t want to remove WhatsApp from the backup entirely, maybe just remove certain conversations that have thousands of files. I never ASKED Apple to save all of WhatsApp but I don’t know how to not ask. I’ve looked a couple of times and there doesn’t seem to be an easy solution in iCloud settings… anyone any ideas?

This has probably been asked before but I keep getting notifications that my basic iCloud package is full and I need to upgrade because updates aren’t being backed up.

The problem is, as is probably normal these days, it’s 95% whatsapp. But I can’t find anywhere to tailor the WhatsApp memory - I don’t want to remove WhatsApp from the backup entirely, maybe just remove certain conversations that have thousands of files. I never ASKED Apple to save all of WhatsApp but I don’t know how to not ask. I’ve looked a couple of times and there doesn’t seem to be an easy solution in iCloud settings… anyone any ideas?
Do you have the settings that makes you save every image, video or audio you receive? I had that and realised my iCloud was filled with various pet/food/baby pics and videos from groups. The media was still in the chats but ALSO saved every single one.

Do you have the settings that makes you save every image, video or audio you receive? I had that and realised my iCloud was filled with various pet/food/baby pics and videos from groups. The media was still in the chats but ALSO saved every single one.

No I used to - I fixed that ages ago. They’re not saved in my photos or video albums now. But they’re still part of the WhatsApp backup. There’s about two family conversations that are HUGE that I don’t want to remove from my phone, but they don’t need to be on backup…

I just pay that yearly thing with Apple

What's a good (and easy to use) upscaler? And do they actually work? I'm wondering if they will work on my DVDs rather than buying dubious "remastered" versions that seem to be license loophole things. I downloaded one and upon using the free trial of 5 uploads I couldn't even get 1 to work as after about 10% it crashed and also had an ever increasing estimated time left of around 30+ hours.

ANyone recommend a great free VPN? I'm trying to watch disney+ in Dubai. I tried downloading Opera and it's shit. Help!

ANyone recommend a great free VPN? I'm trying to watch disney+ in Dubai. I tried downloading Opera and it's shit. Help!

To be honest, all the free ones are pretty shit. A paid for one is definitely the way to go. Lots of them do free trials, and it's Black Friday week so there are loads of great deals. I would recommend Express VPN or Nord VPN.

Hi Noopy. My phone keeps crashing.

I've gone down all the suggested avenues (software update, apps updated, removed apps I wasn't really using to clear space) but still happening.

Who would be my first port of call? Phone provider or my phone insurance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom