Tennis 2020

cwej

User
Seeing as that is the year now.

Just watching Kenin-Muguruza final. Muguruza is one of those players that I can't really believe has made 4 slam finals... she's so unknown outside of tennis itself.

Not even here, most people have no idea who she is. The fact that she's not constant and a good player most of the time doesn't help.

Seeing as that is the year now.

Just watching Kenin-Muguruza final. Muguruza is one of those players that I can't really believe has made 4 slam finals... she's so unknown outside of tennis itself.

I hope you followed the sheer endless "10 defining players of the decade" debate at the end of 2019 because I felt it was really telling about how Muguruza is viewed even within tennis (so many people left her off) and it correlates with the assessment that no one knows her outside of the sport. For someone with two slams, she's made literally *no* impact on the sport - even within Spain. And there was a lot going on with her coaching setup, management setup and so on in the last 2-3 years that didn't help matters.

Kenin really reminds me of a duracell bunny Zvonareva. It's quite striking.

I ALWAYS forget about her when trying to list grand slam winners etc. She's the perfect pointless answer for 'Name a multiple singles grand slam winner'. I am pleased Kenin won, I think she has more overall potential long term.

And I'm so happy for Djokovic. Touch and go for a bit - he almost fucked himself over with his time violation tantrum... I think that's half the reason he went 2-1 down. But the umpire was 100% right and Djokovic needs to get over it.

I also enjoyed the drama in the mixed doubles in which Strycova had a strop with Murray and Mattek-Sands. I love all three of those players, so it was very entertaining. :D

One of the better memes to come out of this month, really.

As for tennis, I'm curious to see the landscape of the tour once things return (might be in 2021) and how the landscape has changed. WTA and ATP doing a weekly vlog together and releasing joint statement is certainly the most radical change in direction so far.

Azarenka vs Osaka in the US Open final tonight :disco: could not be more thrilled to be witnessing the comeback of Vika in 2020!

The women's semifinals were SO GOOOOD.

The men's, on the other hand... yikes. Especially Zverev-PCB. What a dreadful dud.

I'm Team Osaka all the way. Not really here for Azarenka and her oh-so-convenient medical time-outs!

I don't like 2020 either let's not try and find ourselves stuck in 2012. Azarenka is genuinely a long long way from still being the contentious character she was 7 or 8 years ago. Still has her eyeroll-worthy moments but a whole different kettle of fish.

I don't like 2020 either let's not try and find ourselves stuck in 2012. Azarenka is genuinely a long long way from still being the contentious character she was 7 or 8 years ago. Still has her eyeroll-worthy moments but a whole different kettle of fish.

Good for her, and I’m glad to hear it. I still prefer the players who didn’t behave poorly, even years ago. Osaka is a wonderful example of how a player should conduct themselves, both on and off the court.

Here for Vika "Extremely Injured" Azarenka. The tour needs her.

The highlight of the tournament for me, however, was Ms Pironkova returning from her 3-year hiatus - with her protected ranking - to snatch wigs left and right all the way to the Quarters. Wasn't far off taking out Serena too!

come on Vika, snatch that highy improbably third set comeback! :o I thought she was DOWN AND OUT ten minutes ago

Justice has been SERVED. :D

So well done to Osaka. What a deserving winner and truly wonderful person! :disco:

Very good match!

A great final. gutted for Vika but if she keeps on this course she'll have more chances. Naomi showed steel.

Glad Naomi won. Picked her to win this whole shebang and also picked her to win in three vs. Vika.

Everything about Osaka-sama has been beyond impressive since play stopped in March. Queen of the 7 Masks.

A good match. Vika was so tough at the start, she’ll have nightmares about that game where she had points to lead 6-1 3-0, that game changed the match. I’m glad Naomi won too, WTA needs a consistently good younger player.

On an unrelated note, Novak has proved himself to be an UTTER TIT this year. Not that it's something we didn't already know.

On an unrelated note, Novak has proved himself to be an UTTER TIT this year. Not that it's something we didn't already know.

Novak’s really been down the road to hell this year, but he genuinely believes that his „good intentions“ are more important than the fact that he’s actually down the road to hell with his Antivaxx blubbering, disastrous Adria Tour and pseudo-science Guru nonsense.

His DQ In NYC was unfortunate but totally fair - funny how that’s almost one of the less offensive things he’s done this year. What an idiot.

A few male players haven’t been a good look this year, it opened my eyes to a few of them. The women have been better though Mladenovic and Vekic have both had their moments.

That’s great for Naomi etc but can we get back to the real star of tennis this year

Mariah :disco:

He truly is vile. Not just him either, his family members are constantly dragging Federer and Nadal every chance they get. They are *trash*.

I hope just because this has gone to 5 sets it’s not sold as a great match. Although the scrappiness is understandable.

Yeah, in terms of tennis, this was a far cry from what “the big three” would deliver. At least it went the distance though.

I've seen a number of people say that and I didn't find it relatable AT ALL. I'm sorry but I cannot relate to showing up to a big day at work and being so crippled by nerves that I cannot get anything done for the first 90 minutes that day. And even in sports or when required to do some form of performance, like, Thiem laid SUCH AN EGG at the beginning and Zverev struggled SO MUCH finishing the work he started. A mess.

In comparison, in the women's final, I did think Vika just outgunned Naomi at the beginning, not allowing her to play AT ALL. But Thiem had chances to play and he just buried forehands inside the net and if not, they barely cleared the T.

Last edited:
Azarenka double-bageling Australian Open champion Sofia Kenin at the Italian Open yesterday :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom