The BBC Radio 6 Music Fan Club

It's 90s day and so far I've heard Bucketheads, Dawn Penn, Robert Miles and Elastica. What a treat.

I’ve heard TWO remixes of CGYOOMH but no PADAM. Give the WOOPSIES what they WANT!

Lamacq was a writer for the NME in the late 80s/early 90s - he was one of a whole tranche who quit when Steve Sutherland became the editor; Sutherland had described the NME as "dogshit" in a review of Suede a couple of months prior to this so his appointment later in 1992 was just a bit controversial. Doors opened to many of them, however with Select magazine using several (Select, an excellent magazine ended up being the BritPop Q and folded in the early 00s - Stuart Maconie, Andrew Collins and Miranda Sawyer are from the same generation).

Such was the hold the music press had on the alt/indie/whatever scene, Lamacq was approached to try out for the Evening Session on Radio 1 (7pm-9pm) when Mark Goodier decided to continue his move into production. My memory tells me that they had a few guest presenters before settling on the team up of him and Jo Whiley who duly led the programme to its BritPop peak. he also had a label - Deceptive Records - and a few mutterings of conflict-of-interest could be heard when Elastica became hot enough to be a regular spin (he co-released Gene's second single too).

ANYWAY, this basically cemented his position as REAL MUSIC Indier Than Thou spokesman so 6music was a natural destination and, sure enough, he does well there.

tl;dr - a journalist with good timing who now gets to bore the arse of us about how amazing 1991 was.

He's been dull and grey for years. If he was a woman he'd have been out. Although Zoe Ball is still prominent on radio.
And BORING OL' MARY ANNE HOBBS says otherwise too

Honestly, the fact 6Music got rid of wonderful Shaun Keaveny and kept Hobbs and Lamacq clogging up the daytime schedule is so bizarre to me. I listen to 6 so much less these days as a result. I'll pop on for Laverne and (if I fancy it on a weeked) Mark Radcliffe, but that's about it.

I loved craig charles on a saturday but I’m normally zoned out by the time he comes on weekdays.

I like Hobbs though.

I use Hobbs's slot to catch up on RadMac shows. She plays good stuff but her wishy washy earnest seriousness gets on my tits. Thankfully Nemone is in for her this week. Not that she's amazing either - do LEAVE OFF with the MEDITATION SHITE!

I use Hobbs's slot to catch up on RadMac shows. She plays good stuff but her wishy washy earnest seriousness gets on my tits. Thankfully Nemone is in for her this week. Not that she's amazing either - do LEAVE OFF with the MEDITATION SHITE!
Obsessed with how often she mentions that she's a trained psychotherapist

WE FUCKING KNOW IT LOVE

BBC Radio 6 Music DJ Steve Lamacq is to scale back his afternoon shows from five days a week to one, saying he's "a bit knackered" after 18 years.

Gosh yes it must be exhausting doing, what, FOUR HOURS WORK a day?

Although that's being generous suggesting it takes an hour's prep time to be a boring old bastard on the radio. And let's not forget he doesn't even have to do anything when the songs are playing

Anyway, at least he's going. The fact they've gone for Huw Stephens when they could have got Shaun Keaveny back is further proof the 6Music boss needs to give their head a wobble though.

Reactions: COB
Gosh yes it must be exhausting doing, what, FOUR HOURS WORK a day?

IMG_2759.gif

I’d also prefer to work less than 4 hours per day so I’m siding with Steve on this one

When Marc Riley and Gideon Coe were shoved together and the hours cut, Riley and Rob Hughes took the Parallel Universe feature to Patreon where it is an absolute delight; now extending to an hour and a half, it's basically two blokes talking about music, one of whom was in about it all between about 78 and 91ish (when Riley moved into broadcasting full time) and the other has interviewed almost everyone. It's ace.

Scott Mills just managed to get Take That's "Pray" played for T-Shirt Day :basil:

In other news VV Brown is on Craig Charles' show next Wednesday. :eyes:

Why is that hideous “Streets of Gold: Mumbai” advert on 1000 times a day may I ask? I’m losing my mind.

He did just drop Flamingoes I Only Have Eyes For You which I appreciated.

Other than that he's such a BORE.

I’m quite happy with the line-up at the moment except the EVIL AMY LAMÉ must be STOPPED!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom