The By-elections Thread - 2019-2024 edition

Ag

User
(Depending on election results or criminal trials, I wouldn’t be surprised if we see future by-elections in the following: Birmingham Hodge Hill, Batley & Spen, Moray, Rutherglen & Hamilton West, Leicester East, and Poplar.)
I need a run down of the reasons.

Madison

Everything goes up by six
I need a run down of the reasons.
MP is possibly next mayor of West Midlands
MP is likely next mayor of West Yorkshire
MP will enter Scottish Parliament (and is a member of a party without the SNP’s silly rule that has led to Gray resigning so early)
MP charged with culpable and wreckless conduct after taking a train journey from London to Scotland whilst confirmed COVID positive and previously symptomatic
MP on trial (right now I think) for harassment
MP due to go on trial in July for housing fraud.

Last edited:

COB

mememe
I do like the look of the Northern Independence Party from what I've seen of them :disco:

Penelope

striking, unique, 𝘲𝘶𝘦𝘦𝘳
That's the sort of seat the Lib Dems used to be capable of wreaking havoc in at by-elections. Will be interesting to see if they still can, but I doubt it.

Madison

The Lib Dem candidate, Andrew MacKinlay, is a former Labour MP.

I’m glad he managed to escape living in Thurrock.

Diddy

Rice Queen
real housewives nene GIF

Madison

There's two or three coming up aren't there?
There’s one tomorrow:

By-election number two: Airdrie & Shotts

SNP’s Neil Gray has resigned (as expected) ahead of contesting a seat at Scottish election.

Labour in second place. It was Labour until 2015. Healthy SNP majorities of 9,000 and 5,000 in 2015 and 2019, but only 195 in 2017.

Zodiac

Registered Ulser
A huge victory for the Lib Dems in Chesham & Amersham overturning a big Tory majority! Unlike Hartlepool which drew endless coverage, it feels like there has hardly been any media interest in this by-election. I'd entirely forgotten it was even happening.

Alex

When it all falls down, gotta build it better
The first time i’ve woken up to good news election wise in SUCH a long time !
It was only 51st on their target list ! PLEASE let this be a sign of things to come

Kratz

Not easy to remember, and even harder to forget
Ouch! I forgot this was even happening. That is quite a result for the LDs!

Indie

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
Conservative Peter Fleet tweeted he was "deeply disappointed" that the people of Chesham and Amersham had "under the extraordinary circumstances of a by-election, voted for someone else to represent them in Parliament".
Speaking at the count, he said: "Clearly this was a very disappointing result, not the result that I was expecting."

octophone

robo-bongo-cuckoo-cop
Still, if they make a comeback as an alternative to the Tories, they could start splitting the vote again: possible future: Conservative = hard right, Lib Dem - soft right, Labour - soft left, ??? - hard left (Greens?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom