The By-elections Thread - 2019-2024 edition

And the strange thing is, the Cons (probably) will snatch that. Unusual times!

It is interesting how much of a shock this seems, considering governing parties probably ‘should’ be losing by-elections after 11 years in power - it definitely allows a ‘Blue Wall’ under threat narrative to be run with now.

The Lib Dems would do well to position themselves as soft right. With the Tories gone so far right, there's a gap in the market.

Reactions: D5K
Absolutely hideous result in Chesham & Amersham. The one time these bastards get a bloody nose, and it's one that tells them it's a bad idea to build new homes and build HS2.

It really sums up everything awful about the Lib Dems in local opportunism mode. I get that there aren't many easy routes available to victory as a third party, but there really isn't very much to be celebrated about what was in practice a huge victory for parochial interests here.

This isn't really a result that was driven by 'the blue wall becoming more centrist/left-wing' - which is something that is happening as people are being driven out of the likes of Hackney to places like Bournemouth/Margate/Worthing for affordable housing - but as a look at the houae prices there will tell you, isn't really what's going on in Chesham and Amersham....given if anything, this was more or less a vote to keep local house prices that way!

Last edited:
We must be going through the biggest shift in British political allegiances since... the creation of the Labour Party?

George Galloway is the absolute fucking worst. Turns up everywhere he can be provocative with a new party every time. A blinkered narcissist who has no principle beyond his belief in himself as superior. An absolute wank.

The frustrating thing is he seemingly has just enough support to knock Labour into second place to the Conservatives.

Also that he claims to speak for the COMMON MAN even though he wears a FEDORA.

I feel for Kim Leadbeater and the nonsense she is dealing with Galloway - she needn’t have put herself up for this (considering how traumatic it must feel) and she seems like a good candidate.

Last edited:
I was in Batley the other week and the Galloway posters are bloody everywhere!

This made me laugh though.

1624777268907.jpeg

As for Leadbetter, I think she means well but as a candidate her selection reeks of cynicism, which I don’t think is washing with the locals sadly.

It was also a huge open goal to Galloway not to select a candidate with closer ties to the muslim community, which is huge in the area.

Realistically I’m not sure they were ever holding the seat though. Labour are just in a death spiral in these places now.

So Labour HOLD Batley & Spen by the narrowest of margins (323 votes). Suggestions of anti-Galloway tactical voting (the man himself planning to go to court to overturn the result - not entirely clear on what basis).

It seems to strange to talk about the opposition barely holding on to one of its own seats (and nonetheless seeing a swing to the governing party) as a good news, but that is a positive result for the Starmer leadership. He might have some breathing space now.

She seems like a GOOD EGG. I'm glad she won (even if only just...).

She seems like a GOOD EGG. I'm glad she won (even if only just...).
Yes. I have to say if I had been a Tory or other voter in that seat it would have been tempting to back her, seeing as what she endured from Galloway (and keep him out). Seems quite a number decided to do that.

Suggestions of anti-Galloway tactical voting (the man himself planning to go to court to overturn the result - not entirely clear on what basis).

He's claiming that his advertising was unfairly restricted/banned - he broke electoral commission rules over the size of some of the text - there was an explanation on BBC News earlier but it seems to have gone (?).

The reality is that Galloway is a nasty opportunist who has sown division, hate and violence in Batley & Spen for little more than the opportunity to gain some kind of petty revenge against Labour and, in true Trumpian fashion, cannot accept that he has gained nothing for his efforts. Fuck that guy, fuck his endless stream of vanity projects disguised as political parties and fuck those stupid fucking hats he wears.

Yes. I have to say if I had been a Tory or other voter in that seat it would have been tempting to back her, seeing as what she endured from Galloway (and keep him out). Seems quite a number decided to do that.

Galloway took votes from the Tories as well - some of his "policies" (if they deserve the description) are well to the right, especially re: LGBTQ+ rights.

(edit - Typo - amended "and" to "are")

Last edited:
Pleased that the two far right candidates both got less votes than monster raving loony.

Oh, it's not the advertising:

"Mr Galloway said he would take legal action to get the result set aside, claiming his election effort had been damaged by a "false statement" that he had laughed while Ms Leadbeater was abused on the campaign trail."

Get fucked, you tedious wanksock.

Former Cabinet minister James Brokenshire has died. There will be a by-election in Old Bexley and Sidcup (safe seat).

Yeah he had 64% of the vote. It seems very unlikely to change hands.

I’d guess the some of the 2019 result was due to the shenanigans of Keith Vaz. Also, you’d hope Labour don’t parachute someone in from London again.

Oh wow, the Conservative MP in the 80’s before Vaz had some, erm, strong opinions:

“I do not agree with homosexuality. I think that Clause 28 will help outlaw it and the rest will be done by AIDS, with a substantial number of homosexuals dying of AIDS. I think that's probably the best way.”

Leicester East sure knows how to pick em.

• Wow
Reactions: COB
Not sure if this is sufficient to trigger the Act:

EDIT: I think it is. We need to wait a few months for the appeal process to complete first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom