The Great Pottery Throw Down

Slightly AGOG there's no thread for this already but then maybe it's just friendly politely bland reality telly doesn't inspire much chatter.

Anyway Season 4 is back on Channel 4 in the new year, Sunday 10th January.

Yet another line-up change:goodgrief:

Mel Sykes is out & Siobhán McSweeney is the new host.
Sue has gone as a judge but we have the lovely Rich being promoted to a judge from the assistant role.

I read that they've done well on HBO Max here in the states but they haven't yet announced if they'll show series 4 as it airs which is annoying. Reality TV months after the result is not ideal so I'll find a way :rolleyes:

I'm sure we've chatted about it here. Must be lost in one of the bigger threads.

Slightly upset at the loss of Mel and Sue, but the loss of Keith would have been greater.

I'm sure we've chatted about it here. Must be lost in one of the bigger threads.

Slightly upset at the loss of Mel and Sue, but the loss of Keith would have been greater.

I just laughed hard at that! Wouldn't be the first time we lost a Mel & Sue from a love productions show :D

Yes not sure how we would survive a season without Keith tearing up at least once :shy:

Apparently one of my best friends is on this. Can’t find the trailer anywhere to confirm.

Just catching up on this after finally finding the episodes online. It’s all very nice isn’t it :)

My favourite is the teacher Sal, she’s been excellent two weeks running. Everyone else has been pretty ok apart from Suz who I hope gets the chop ASAP.

I forgot that they got rid of the third weekly challenge last series and it’s bothering me, I’d much rather then had an hour to create something and be judged blind than the pointless time pressure challenges “throw as many of X in ten minutes” - who cares? You’re hardly getting the best work out of them and does throwing 15 dodgy egg cups or goblets really equate to a contestants worth!?

@Lee who’s your friend? Have you managed to view it yet?

Last edited:
Really enjoying this. Find it such a warm, comforting watch. I loved the last season too, got very close to buying some of Matt's work, as he's part of a ceramics collective near me, but Mrs Bev won't let me buy more cups

Really enjoying this. Find it such a warm, comforting watch. I loved the last season too, got very close to buying some of Matt's work, as he's part of a ceramics collective near me, but Mrs Bev won't let me buy more cups
Yes! It’s the perfect January show for those reasons.

I miss Matt’s dulcet tones and his flanter with Mel Sykes. Also can you accidentally smash a few cups so that Mrs Bev has no choice but to let you replace them? :angel:

Adam!
I’ve seen the trailer, but not seen the show yet.

Reddit is great for the episodes if you want to watch!

Really enjoying this. Binged Season 3 yesterday and up to date with season 4

SO MUCH CRYING!

Isn't it fab! Its perfect Sunday night tv, i love the drama of Drag Race, Big Brother etc but there's something so warm and wholesome about shows like this (sewing bee, bake off too!) The only pottering I'm good at is the pottering about the house kind.

Also, i ask because i imagine it plays to the same sort of demographic .. is anyone watching season 2 of Interior Design Masters on BBC2? I bloody love that, Alan Carr had me in tears this week - i didn't dislike Fearne Cotton on series 1 but he is always a treat!

Also, i ask because i imagine it plays to the same sort of demographic .. is anyone watching season 2 of Interior Design Masters on BBC2? I bloody love that, Alan Carr had me in tears this week - i didn't dislike Fearne Cotton on series 1 but he is always a treat!

Not a fan of Fearne so Alan has improved it massively

Thanks, I’ve not been able to find it so far but not checked Reddit. I will get to it at some point. Is he doing well?

I haven’t seen this weeks episodes but I’d say he’s been doing pretty well, but maybe middle of the pack and yet to have a standout moment.

The subreddit TVRemix has the episodes uploaded to google drive (you can stream or download).

Not a fan of Fearne so Alan has improved it massively

oh I didn’t mind her but Alan brings the fun, I love how the head judge is so stern and mean lol! Calling out that contestant for being lazy had me howling!

Interior Design is on my list! @Superstylin'

yes! Please let us know, I’m not sure there’ll be enough interest for a separate thread so we can discuss in here haha.

Glow Up is another one I love, I hope Covid didn’t affect them proceeding with a third series of that.

Just watching the final now and came across this bit of genius, which is really old but amazing all the same.

We also need a celebrity edition with Des’ree as a contestant.

Once Sal was eliminated i knew they were gearing up Jody for the win, i didn't mind her but it felt very weird to eliminate Sal & Alon and keep in some of the ones who seemed to just keep scraping through. Also i think the show would benefit somewhat from having a mentor aspect (maybe Rose?) so that when they are going off brief, they are told and can adapt instead of basically fucking them over at the end.

Anyway overall another great series that I'm sad is over .. I also LOVED Interior Design Masters, Alan Carr was just gold and this season we had two worthy (and likeable) finalists i think!

At least Sewing Bee is back soon!

Once Sal was eliminated i knew they were gearing up Jody for the win, i didn't mind her but it felt very weird to eliminate Sal & Alon and keep in some of the ones who seemed to just keep scraping through. Also i think the show would benefit somewhat from having a mentor aspect (maybe Rose?) so that when they are going off brief, they are told and can adapt instead of basically fucking them over at the end.

Anyway overall another great series that I'm sad is over .. I also LOVED Interior Design Masters, Alan Carr was just gold and this season we had two worthy (and likeable) finalists i think!

At least Sewing Bee is back soon!

I agree re Pottery Barn. It seemed odd to get rid of Sal when she was so clearly head and shoulders above the rest in terms of experience and ability. And I would have loved for Alon to stay, not only because he was cute, but also cos he was a bit of a renegade. He was a bit salty about it on Insta.

I loved Design Masters, mostly for the bad taste, but also because I find the judge just so MEAN! Again, I had issues with more obviously talented designers being ditched in favour of people who only knew how to turn everything into tiki lounges slathered in gold leaf. But I liked the winner.

YAY for sewing be. There's meant to be another show too... All That Glitters or something?

I love Sewing Bee and the Pottery Throw Down. There's something so soothing about them. They're competitive shows, but without the ridiculous drama and hype of the other shows. Plus some of the talent on display is a wonder to behold!

I agree re Pottery Barn. It seemed odd to get rid of Sal when she was so clearly head and shoulders above the rest in terms of experience and ability. And I would have loved for Alon to stay, not only because he was cute, but also cos he was a bit of a renegade. He was a bit salty about it on Insta.

I loved Design Masters, mostly for the bad taste, but also because I find the judge just so MEAN! Again, I had issues with more obviously talented designers being ditched in favour of people who only knew how to turn everything into tiki lounges slathered in gold leaf. But I liked the winner.

YAY for sewing be. There's meant to be another show too... All That Glitters or something?

I’m not suprised he was shady, one minute they’re singing his praises for taking risks and the next it’s like sorry no. He was super cute and just oozed likeability.

I also loved Sal (as did the rest of social media it seemed) as her elimination stirred up a lot of “I’m never watching ever again” reactions 🤣 .. but yes she was almost in a league of her own some weeks!

I had those two pegged for the final so it was a shock! But hey, they’re all friends and it’s not like winning or losing means a great deal in these shows if the talent is there they can go on and do whatever they want to.

YES Michelle is super mean (I kinda love it!) when she’s critiquing them, telling Charlottes she was lazy was a moment 🤣 .. the winner was the quiet achiever, I really liked her thought process and that restaurant transformation was brilliant!

Oooh .. aven’t heard of all that glitters ... off to investigate!

New series starting January 2nd :disco:

According to Wikipedia Ellie Taylor is joining Siobhan McSweeney to host, with Keith and Richard returning as judges.

No sign of Siobhan in the Radio Times article or this tweet, though...

Just noticed Siobhan is tagged in that tweet though. Keith has also confirmed that Rose is returning.

Irish actress Siobhán McSweeney will be returning to our screens as the hilarious host.

However, she's not the only presenter this year, as comedian Ellie Taylor – who has previously starred on the likes of The Mash Report, Mock the Week and Ted Lasso – stood in this series while Siobhán recovered from a broken leg.

Really enjoying this years bunch of contestants, though i think it was obvious who was going both weeks. Did not think that the winner was deserved this week, alas the right person has gone both weeks.

Also, I wish Ellie Taylor was permanent and not a fill in for Siobhán, she's a joy to watch.

I liked Cellan's clock, and perhaps it's because I don't know that much about pottery and technique I couldn't fully appreciate it, but when it was hung up in the potter of the week gallery or whatever it's called, I felt distinctly underwhelmed.

I like Cellan's clock, and perhaps it's because I don't know that much about pottery amd technique I couldn't fully appreciate it, but when it was hung up in the potter of the week gallery or whatever it's called, I felt distinctly underwhelmed.
Yes, Cellans pendulum barely swung and looked so limp! .. Tom's chicken clock was my favourite (though AJ's treasure chest was brilliant too, what a shame they decided to stick the slug back on lol)!

2.837m viewers, #3 programme on C4. 20.4% audience share, which is double their average, so I imagine they are very happy with that.

Almost exactly the same audience last week, but up to #1 of the week on C4. Pleased it's doing so well.

Just about to start tonight's episode but can see it's another Ellie one. Not sure why she didn't just take the full season on, really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom