Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Well HERE I AM on a Saturday morning screeching 'KAYelEHF!' and barking 'ANCIENTS OF MUUMUU' on a hangover, MUCH TO THE DISPLEASURE OF ALL NEARBY NEIGHBOURS

THANKS BILL :disco:

What a run of astonishing singles they had. All absolute bangers, this obviously being their majestic peak.

I love it, but I think it’s my least favourite of their big singles…

Their story on wiki as to why they just disappeared after conquering the world for a year is quite fascinating

they just couldn’t be ARSED being successful!

this tune reminds me of my very early clubbing days aged 13, raving at the under 18s ‘kiddy club’, which is ridiculous looking back because all the songs were about acid and Es and you couldn’t even buy alcohol at the bar

Oh my god

1987 was met with mixed reviews in most of the major British music publications, including Melody Maker, NME, Sounds, and Q, and the album came to the attention of the management of Swedish pop group ABBA: The JAMs had sampled large portions of the ABBA single "Dancing Queen" on the track "The Queen And I". A legal showdown with ABBA and the Mechanical-Copyright Protection Society (MCPS) followed, 1987 was forcibly withdrawn from sale, and The JAMs were ordered to "deliver up the master tape, mothers, stampers and any other parts commensurate with manufacture of the record".

King Boy D and Rockman Rock travelled to ABBA's home country of Sweden, in the hope of meeting with ABBA personally, taking an NME journalist and photographer with them, along with most of the remaining copies of the LP and a gold disc of the album. Failing to find ABBA in residence at Polar Studios in Stockholm, they instead presented the gold disc to a blonde prostitute they pretended was Agnetha "fallen on hard times". Of the original LP's stock, some copies were disposed overboard on the North Sea ferry trip across, and the remainder were burned in a field in Gothenburg before dawn (as shown on the cover of their next album, Who Killed The JAMs?, and detailed in that album's single "Burn the Bastards"). The JAMs also played a recording of "The Queen and I" loudly outside the offices of ABBA's record label, Polar Music. The trip was unexpectedly eventful, the JAMs accidentally hitting and killing a moose, and later being shot at by a farmer, a bullet cracking the engine of their Ford Galaxie police car. They were, by their own account, towed back to England by the AA.

The JAMs were not entirely sure what they would have said to ABBA if they had been able to meet them. Rockman told NME: "We were hoping to explain [our artistic justification] to them and that maybe we'd come out of it friends, you know, them producing our album and us producing theirs—the kind of thing that often happens at these meetings." King Boy: "Yeah, we'd have said, 'Look, you haven't had many hits lately, you don't really wanna bother with all this West End musical shit do you? Come and do the new JAMMS [sic] album.'" In 1994, The Guardian looked back on the Swedish sojourn as "a grand, futile, attention-grabbing gesture, the kind that would come to characterise [the duo's] collaborative career... "We were being totally stupid about it" Drummond later acknowledged."

The JAMs offered what they claimed were "the last five" copies of 1987 for sale at £1000 each in a full-page advertisement in the April 1988 edition of The Face. Drummond argued that the offer exploited a loophole in The JAMs' agreement with the MCPS: "We were browsing around this record shop and came across these five copies of 1987.... We made it perfectly clear to the MCPS that we couldn't actually force the shops to send our LPs back.... because we bought them in a shop, these LPs don't come into the agreement and we can do what we like with them and not break any laws."

Reactions: Zu
What Time Is Love is always my favourite. I wish the original PURE TRANCE VERSION was available on streaming -

I love that with the Live At Trancentral and Pure Trance versions, Anne Clark's track Our Darkness basically uses the same riff and is very nearly a BONUS EXTRA VERSION (despite having nothing to do with The KLF and having been recorded in 1984 :D)

Not to mention 2U's "homage" in TRIBAL DANCE!

I HATE the America: What Time Is Love? version though :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom