The Last of Us (HBO Adaptation)

Phoenix

I’m the hostess of the dinner
Pronouns
He/Him
Pedro Pascal (The Mandalorian, GoT) has been cast as Joel and Bella Ramsey (Lyanna Mormont from GoT) has been cast as Ellie. Show is written by Craig Mazin who did Chernobyl and a bunch of bad movies.

WHY INDEED

Bella Ramsey doesn't fit Ellie at all. she was good in GoT (well her character was kind of awesome) but then I saw her in His Dark Materials and wasn't impressed at all. and surely Coster-Waldau would make a better Joel

It takes place between 1 and 2 doesn’t it? Or is that the Uncharted movie?

The videogame TV and movie adaptations are so confusing these days.

I was more into the rumour going around the other day that they'd cast Mahershala Ali as Joel, but Pascal will be very good I think.

It takes place between 1 and 2 doesn’t it? Or is that the Uncharted movie?

The videogame TV and movie adaptations are so confusing these days.

The Uncharted movie is young Nathan cause it’s Tom Holland.

First pic (of their backs)

A 12 month shoot and 7 figures per episode no less.

I'm curious at the very least. I never liked Ellie much though :o
a feeling which was cemented by The Last Of Us Part 2. Team Abbie!

This does look good but I may bear a grudge just because they didn’t cast Gerard Butler and a magically de-aged Elliot Page in the lead roles.

I still haven’t forgiven Disney for not casting Tom Selleck as Dr Strange, so HBO should consider themselves warned.

I'm so ready for this after the trailer, and oh my god at the leaning skyscrapers from the first game :disco: PLEASE tell me it follows the first game's plot? There really is no reason to deviate from that, apart from cutting some of the gang stuff at the beginning maybe.

Also is Bella Ramsey just not very good then? God I hope that's not the case. I'm not bothered about looks so much, it doesn't have to be that accurate

This seems to be getting great reviews, I've no idea how I'm going to watch it yet but I cannot fucking wait. Pleasingly both actors seem to be doing a stellar job by all accounts.

Also so excited because apparently episode 3 is set around (spoiler I guess but not really at all!):

Bill and his (probable) lover Frank :disco:Which will be beyond tragic to watch I expect but the Bill section was definitely one of the most memorable in the game

I'm buying into too much I know but comments already about that being one of the likely best tv episodes of the year. I can really SEE IT though. The potential is there.

Getting the impression they're going to whip through the first game's plot in a season which seems fast, but maybe not

Oh I’m glad! Genuinely nervous that this was going to be shit!

Hope the loons don’t review bomb it because Ellie’s eyebrows don’t match

And as always #teamAbby

I know nothing about the gaming world but I don’t understand how you all seem to know the story if it’s a game.

Anyway, HBO has been promoting it heavily for a while now and I will of course be watching, going in with no idea about the storyline.

:D

Well, games have stories...that's about it I guess?

Confused Thinking GIF

99% fresh :disco:

Saving this for tonight when it’s dark and I’ve got all the daily BS done so I can fully enjoy it

Poor RS.

I thought the first episode was good, it’s a lot to establish so I’ll give it slack. It did feel too long.

Pedro is a very sexy Joel and is that Carrie Coon (no it’s her doppelgänger Anna Torv). Also the original daughter is played by a nepo baby (Thandiwe’s daughter).

Well,

I LOVED it!

As I haven’t played the game :eyes:, I don’t really have any idea of where they’re going but I hope they don’t really go back to that enclosed zone because it seems limiting (and HBO Max did a horrible show last year about a similar place). It reminded me a bit of early The Walking Dead.

I liked the first girl (Thandie’s daughter :o) a lot more than whatsherface from GOT.

Not Sarah being a DC3 stan!

Well I don’t think I was ever going to hate this (HBO and one of my fave games ever) but I really really enjoyed that. Didn’t take my eyes off the screen once. I think episode 1 has really set everything up nicely and the real fun can start.

It’s weird watching what you’ve already seen and well aware what happens but I still found it gripping and even got goosebumps a few times at scenes I already know well. Loved the nods to the game and some shots being like for like. Especially Joel sleeping on the sofa killing time - really brought it all back.

The whole thing just exudes budget and HBO have that real knack of things never looking like sets. The first person single shot car scene was proper good stuff with the jumbo jets flying over head , followed by hordes running out the cinema and then crash itself. Just looked spectacular.

The final shot with the leaning towers was :disco:

I thought it was FINE. The set up was quite good but I thought stuff in Boston occasionally dragged a bit.

And for now, i'm cancelling NOW TV and picking it back up when they've put them all up. :)

Would any moopy person be willing to do a short write up of the game premise, or maybe link to a particularly accurate account of the game they like?

I was going to go in cold like @RaspberrySwirl but I think now I'd like some context.

Would any moopy person be willing to do a short write up of the game premise, or maybe link to a particularly accurate account of the game they like?

I was going to go in cold like @RaspberrySwirl but I think now I'd like some context.

Fungus Zombies vs man and (not his) child.

Anything more than that would just give the show away.

I absolutely loved it. No not earth shattering but still very very good. I thought everything was totally on point, the tone and the casting is impeccable. I can't wait to see where it goes. For anyone wondering, personally I thought the Boston quarantine area was the most boring section of the game (and it's the start of the game proper as well) so it make sense for it to be the least interesting bit here. Couldn't care less about the post-apocalyptic gangster sub story, but thankfully that's over soon enough as (hopefully) has turned out to be the case here. The game is about them travelling across America in all seasons while the world is ravaged by this killer fungus and the end of episode 1 has nicely lead us up to that - the Boston section is just world building of sorts.

Pedro and Bella are excellent - Pedro already making me forget what Joel looks like in the game (hint - not that different). Bella less so but her mannerisms were spot on enough that I already buy her as Ellie. Anna Torv also great as Tess.

Also I could not believe how like Marlene the actress was - then looked it up and she WAS Marlene in the game :o

Job well done all round I think. And that trailer at the end, FUCK. They really seem to have covered everything :disco:

What I'm especially happy about is it appears to be completely recreating the game, the story and the order we get it in. It's SO satisfying because how often is a book or game made into a film only to be "reimagined" - which, fine, except when the story is clearly good enough AS IS and fans obviously just want what they've experienced in movie form (and for everyone else, they wont know the difference). In this case they seem to get that and are truly FEEDING US. Brings to mind all those terrible Resident Evil recreations over the last twenty years with not one person bothering to properly do a faithful adaptation of the game and story - i.e what people actually liked about it.

Agree with @PercyPig, so many like for like shots. Same lines of dialogue in places. Even the music. It's kind of heartwarming.

I was really impressed how similar to the intro it was too, in the car, the first person view, the house burning, the chase through the town etc.

They in fact cut out most of the boring Robert stuff in Boston, but if I had any gripe it meant we didn't really see any Infected action after the intro (unless I'm forgetting). That didn't matter too much though as there will obviously be loads to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom