The Masked Singer: Series 3

I feel like Natalie owes a lot of her win to the character work. It really was unnecessarily above and beyond but she properly gave the panda an identity and I kind of want it to get its own spin-off. I feel like she fully embraced the show.

Reactions: COB
I was slightly surprised Panda won as she was probably the weakest singer in the final, but she was still VERY GOOD and the performances were very fun. When it got to the top two I really thought Mushroom would do it, but the more I think about it it was probably the best result. If there's a "Masked Singer effect" I'd rather Natalie got it since her music career is an ongoing concern, whereas Charlotte Church seems content just being a mum these days I think?

I think Charlottes new fella has fulfilled what her career in the spotlight gave her previously, or was the piece she was missing. Watching her new tv show she made a comment on how she would still be out there making money if she hadn’t met him which although was in jest I would have thought the comment had some merit to it. She has just ploughed her “life savings” in to this wellness retreat in Wales which was formerly Laura Ashley’s home and has also stated on the show she is terrible with money so I would say she needs the cash and that is why she agreed to take part in the show.

I would 100 percent agree that Natalie won due to her likeable character rather than her singing ability which is competent but not great. She WAS the weakest in the final, and I am glad to see outside the Moopy bubble of IMBRUGLIA WORSHIP that most people agreed with me that Charlotte was ROBBED.

I read in Nicola's piece on her time on the show that the artist chooses the songs but they are given the character and costume. Natalie was definitely fortunate in getting Panda but she was so good as the character.

I’m not sure how this can be correct when it comes to Charlotte. Mushroom is just too much of a coincidence? If you watch the first episode of Charlottes Dream Build on Really she talks of her great love for trees and mushrooms and gives a big explanation on how mushrooms help trees communicate amongst eachother. It is too much of a coincidence if she was then given mushroom as her character on this.

I thought I read that the celebrities choose from a limited selection put to them.

I thought I read that the celebrities choose from a limited selection put to them.

It seems like quite the coincidence would you not think? The documentary was filmed a year back. I would have thought The Masked Singer would have been filmed after?

It seems like quite the coincidence would you not think? The documentary was filmed a year back. I would have thought The Masked Singer would have been filmed after?
The selection they're offered might be tailored towards that celebrity? Although I can't think of any others where the costume itself was a clue to who was underneath.

Perhaps. But they had a mushroom character on the US version in 2020, so it's also not unlikely they may have decided to have one for the UK version and it was just coincidence that it was one of the ones put forward to Church when she chose.

I’m not sure how this can be correct when it comes to Charlotte. Mushroom is just too much of a coincidence? If you watch the first episode of Charlottes Dream Build on Really she talks of her great love for trees and mushrooms and gives a big explanation on how mushrooms help trees communicate amongst eachother. It is too much of a coincidence if she was then given mushroom as her character on this.

I guess Nicola was the first series and things may have changed since then. I must admit it does seem fairer to give them some level of choice rather than landing them with whatever.

I've seen a lot of Westlife fans have been moaning about Natalie winning too. Oh well :D

I imagine next year there will be much more competition for the cute animals, if a singer as crap as Natalie Imbruglia can get away with beating the talant of Mark from Westlife.

I imagine next year there will be much more competition for the cute animals, if a singer as crap as Natalie Imbruglia can get away with beating the talant of Mark from Westlife.

Are Westlife fans saying she is crap? Oh DEAR LORD. She can definitely hold a tune.

I do agree that it's harder for any character without a face (mushroom, chandelier etc.) to make as much of an impact as a cute cuddly animal.

Equally though it was easier for Mushroom to move around, with no restriction on the use of her hands or legs. Robobunny had it hardest though - all he could do was move the rabbit's mouth.

Equally though it was easier for Mushroom to move around, with no restriction on the use of her hands or legs. Robobunny had it hardest though - all he could do was move the rabbit's mouth.
But he gave the rabbit a whole new voice, in performances. I think he wins the character side of things, really.

Reactions: D5K
So we're agreeing that Natalie wasn't the best singer OR character, and CHEATED her way to victory?

So we're agreeing that Natalie wasn't the best singer OR character, and CHEATED her way to victory?

I thought her character was CUTE. Who doesn’t love a panda? I still stand by the fact that she had the weakest voice of the final 3 though and was very pleased when I heard that others shared the same opinion as me and I wasn’t going GAGA.

I think her (and Robobunny) benefited from the fact that most of the voting studio audience was probably experiencing those characters for the first time, and so were impressed by their cuteness and characterisation. Whereas across the show as a whole, it's much more obvious that Charlotte Church should have won.

To be honest I feel like her voice probably wasn't that well suited to the competition. She has an incredible voice, but in the same way that say Alanis sounds amazing singing her own songs but it often doesn't sound right when she sings other people's songs, I think that applies a bit to Nat. Her covers album Male is the album of hers I listen to the least (bar one track that suits her voice very well). So I was pretty surprised she did so well and every week I thought she'd be going out. But now she HAS won, I'm really happy for her, both personally (because she always seems lovely) and as a stan, despite people seeming to want to piss on her chips.

Do we have any video evidence of VOCAL POWERHOUSE Nat? I wouldn’t have thought she had anywhere near the range of Alanis?

Do we have any videos evidence of VOCAL POWERHOUSE Nat? I wouldn’t have thought she had anywhere near the range of Alanis?
I wasn't comparing their range - I meant to say that they sound best singing their own songs. I would never call Natalie a vocal powerhouse, that's just not her style of singing. I'd say her voice is subtle, she has a great tone and she has an edge to the vocal where she needs to, especially in the early days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom