UK: The Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson years - problematic + infected + broke the law + electoral poison + sneks + not very good + OVER (funny)

just give us Unpriti Patel so the whole country can devour itself whole.

The good thing about Tory arrogance and how they have been sitting on a lead hovering around double digits despite treating the most of the country with utter contempt is that they now have belief that they have a God given right to that lead. Of course they are shitting themselves now. He's expendable.

To paraphrase Frankie Boyle, the Tories could crop dust the entire country with hot shit and theyld still get 42% of the vote. The thing about all these recent events is that they are being centred on Johnson. When it suits them, they'll do a Thatcher on him and parachute someone in.

To paraphrase Frankie Boyle, the Tories could crop dust the entire country with hot shit and theyld still get 42% of the vote. The thing about all these recent events is that they are being centred on Johnson. When it suits them, they'll do a Thatcher on him and parachute someone in.
That’s just not true though - until 2017 (when Theresa May polled 42%, followed by Johnson’s 43% in 2019) the party had not polled above 36% in 25 years (even at Cameron’s most popular). Both main parties have a core of somewhere around 30% but the rest is genuinely capable of being churned.

I don't see how Labour can ever get the sort of support they had in the 90s without Scotland. The SNP has completely changed the map.

The future looks like either a Tory government, a liberal coalition or a very VERY narrow Labour victory. In order of likelihood.

I think that’s right @funky - Labour should give up, for pragmatic reasons, any idea of obtaining a majority at the next election and focus on a form of coalition with itself as at best the largest party in the Commons (though I think it is more likely that the Conservatives still would be the largest party without a major collapse).

That being said, whilst the government majority is big it is arguably quite soft. There are a number of seats with small majorities and if it continues to struggle may find itself caught between a resurgent Labour in the North and the Lib Dems in the South (see Chesham and Amersham).

I think the best hope for a Labour win or a coalition in the next 20 years is a rise in support for a new right wing party. We almost NEED a new UKIP or BNP to emerge and split the Tories. Horrible to think that that's the necessary evil to change the map again. :zombie:

That’s just not true though - until 2017 (when Theresa May polled 42%, followed by Johnson’s 43% in 2019) the party had not polled above 36% in 25 years (even at Cameron’s most popular). Both main parties have a core of somewhere around 30% but the rest is genuinely capable of being churned.

Boyle made the comment about 2-3 months before the 2019 election. He was proved right.

Sorry if this was posted already but then end of this is nearly excruciating except that as it’s a Tory it’s quite funny.

The entire Commons committee session with Nadine Dorries was an embarrassment. It's frightening to have people like that in power.

Yet another one that shouldn't be left in charge of a stapler, never mind a government department.

The entire Commons committee session with Nadine Dorries was an embarrassment. It's frightening to have people like that in power.

Yet another one that shouldn't be left in charge of a stapler, never mind a government department.
It’s such a good observation - there is a whole range of ministers, and even cabinet ministers, who before Johnson had little to no hope of being off the backbenches.

I think we should be finally questioning how long he can last now. There are (apparently) letters already into the 1922 committee and a bad result in the Sidcup by-election next week (if they hold the seat) might accelerate the rot. Particularly if they don’t recover their polling lead (which to date they always have done, once falling briefly behind).

Absolutely spot on. There's no logic to any of this. It's just "whatever we want we should get". All take. No give, no responsibility for anything or anyone. Just like Johnson in his Bullingdon days - have a 'great night' and let other people clean up your mess and pay for the damage.

1638092738572.png

:manson::zombie::manson::zombie::manson::zombie::manson::zombie::manson::zombie::manson::zombie::manson::zombie::manson:

Are they holding out for Christmas to bestow upon us the gift of a sacrificial Boris beheading? Although now it all seems to be going south, I kind of wonder if it would be better for Labour if they leave him in place for longer, just to make sure he inflicts maximum damage to the Tory brand.

I'm sceptical Boris will go any time soon. At the end of the day, most of the Tory parliamentary party is still convinced that he's the best chance they've got at an election.

The exception to that would be if Omicron turns things bad enough that the government asks the Commons again to go back into lockdown, which would be like flaying most Tory MPs and then throwing them into the sea in terms of how much they despise the idea.

I'm sceptical Boris will go any time soon. At the end of the day, most of the Tory parliamentary party is still convinced that he's the best chance they've got at an election.

The exception to that would be if Omicron turns things bad enough that the government asks the Commons again to go back into lockdown, which would be like flaying most Tory MPs and then throwing them into the sea in terms of how much they despise the idea.
I think that’s right. It will take more than being marginally behind Labour in the polls (which, let’s remember, is what probably should be happening at mid-term) to bring his premiership to an end. Perhaps if his personal ratings really tank they will think twice or they lose more by-elections. Sidcup tomorrow will be interesting. Rishi Sunak is of course, waiting in the wings (but it could be a real contest if he was in the final membership run-off with Liz Truss).

I think that’s right. It will take more than being marginally behind Labour in the polls (which, let’s remember, is what probably should be happening at mid-term) to bring his premiership to an end. Perhaps if his personal ratings really tank they will think twice or they lose more by-elections. Sidcup tomorrow will be interesting. Rishi Sunak is of course, waiting in the wings (but it could be a real contest if he was in the final membership run-off with Liz Truss).
Although of course, the other thing is that most governments tend to actually be pushing through contentious measures/reforms midterm, and this government isn't really actually doing that (with the exception of, uh, trying to get Owen Paterson off scott-free...)

If Sidcup's even remotely close (a Labour win would be jawdropping) then I can see all manner of havoc over the next few months!

They won't be remotely close.

Aside from it being historically a strong tory seat, there'll be a lot of sympathy for the reason for the by-election.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom